Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City Late Bars

Options
  • 03-01-2011 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,887 ✭✭✭

I'll be in Dublin for a weekend next month and once again am faced with the crappy concept of state imposed closing time. (too used to living on the continent or drinking down the country till 2 in the morning when home on a visit :) )
    I'll be doing family stuff till late in the evening so wouldnt mind a few quiet pints till half one or two in the morning

Is there any website which lists the late bars in Dublin, and preferably noting which ones arent 10 euro a pint or charge admission or the likes?

Or could anyone here point out some places downtown or ballsbridge/ ringsend direction that are reasonably civilised but dont kick you out the door at midnight?

(the residents bar at the hotel is always a backup but thats tooooo much leaning toward the civilised ;) )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

Or could anyone here point out some places downtown or ballsbridge/ ringsend direction that are reasonably civilised but dont kick you out the door at midnight?
    School house, in the front bit is more bar than hotel, great place to have a quite pint, even better if you grab a seat by the fire. Don't rightly recall what time they close at though ;) food is quite good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,887 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

School house, in the front bit is more bar than hotel, great place to have a quite pint, even better if you grab a seat by the fire. Don't rightly recall what time they close at though ;) food is quite good too.
    Fantastic recomendation! (location very convienent for grand canal dock which is good for me that weekend)
    Not sure if it does a late bar but it looks very very good for food.

After a little more trawling the web I came across a small guide to some late bars in the city.
    http://www.inyourpocket.com/ireland/dublin/Dublin-Pubs-Bars-Clubs/Late-bars

about the only promising one is the Czech Inn.

bloody typical.
    on the continent the irish pubs are known for opening late and about the only feckin late bar in Dublin is a czech pub.

so much for Ireland promoting tourism with an irish twist if this is all thats on offer for people NOT on a stag weekend in the city.

about the only promising one is the Czech Inn.
    :eek:

actually that's not fair, i've never been in the czech inn, i could be missing out! Will depend on the night obviously.

There's Doyles just minutes from o'connell bridge, O'Donoghues and the Baggot Inn just off Stephens Green. There's Dakota (pricey) and the Hairy Lemon right behind Grafton Street, Bruxelles just off it. Whelans and the Village are not too far from Stephens green, and close by on Harcourt St you have Diceys, the Odeon, and the ever famous (infamous!?) Coppers.

If you can, Anseo, Kehoes, McDaids, Dawson lounge, Long Stone, Slatterys, the Bankers, le cirq on dame lane, the gingerman (also relaxed and good for food) just to name a small handful of good pubs.

I know these are all on the south side of the water, but that's where i hang out mostly. There's plenty on the north side too i don't know them. just really depends on what you're looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

:eek:

actually that's not fair, i've never been in the czech inn, i could be missing out! Will depend on the night obviously.

There's Doyles just minutes from o'connell bridge, O'Donoghues and the Baggot Inn just off Stephens Green. There's Dakota (pricey) and the Hairy Lemon right behind Grafton Street, Bruxelles just off it. Whelans and the Village are not too far from Stephens green, and close by on Harcourt St you have Diceys, the Odeon, and the ever famous (infamous!?) Coppers.

If you can, Anseo, Kehoes, McDaids, Dawson lounge, Long Stone, Slatterys, the Bankers, le cirq on dame lane, the gingerman (also relaxed and good for food) just to name a small handful of good pubs.

I know these are all on the south side of the water, but that's where i hang out mostly. There's plenty on the north side too i don't know them. just really depends on what you're looking for.

A lot of those pubs don't serve late though - which is what the OP wants.

The Turk's Head is late 7 nights a week. It's not a nice pub though.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    A lot of those pubs don't serve late though - which is what the OP wants.
    some do during the week, and more of them do on the weekend. They're still good places to get a pint in, late or not late, and most of them within walking distance of eachother to move some place late.

I also forgot to mention the sub lounge. €3.20 pints, all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

On the weekends Doheny & Nesbitt's serves until 1:30 - 2. Only problem is €5.40 lager!

fair play wollymammoth

according to this page, the Long Stone is open late to 2.30 at the weekend
    http://www.yelp.ie/biz/the-long-stone-dublin

Ive never been in the place at night, but from memory its pretty chilled during the day so I presume it doesnt go ballistic with stag parties or the likes later in the night who'd tend to stick to the main drag on the other side of westmoreland street in Temple Bar.

On the weekends Doheny & Nesbitt's serves until 1:30 - 2. Only problem is €5.40 lager!
    or that could be the job!!

proper pub, doesnt go all fupin disco at insane volumes from 10 on, but serves till a reasonable enough time

Re cost,
    IF theres no cover charge at the door, its still cheaper than going to a club paying 15Euro + admission, just to drink a pint or two in discomfort.
    I amnt looking for miracles.
    So long as the price remains sorta in the region of Hotel or Airport pints I'll not complain.

nearly all of the places i mentioned don't have cover charges at the door, and most of them are not the most expensive for pints. You'll always find other little gems you'd never suspect, like Toners, just beside the Baggott Inn and Doheny & Nesbitt's. It's not a late bar at all, but the Guinness is great and reasonably priced. If the front door is shut, try the one round the side.. ;) The long stone is a decent pub, nice and relaxed, great outdoor area with massive heater and a pool table. Actually another good pub nearby is Mulligans.

If you're gonna be coming in from Ringsend or Ballsbridge direction, then you won't be too far away from Upper Baggott Street. The Waterloo is a nice pub. Food was good enough when i was there last.

Jesus, i think i drink too much!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

The Czech Inn opens really late. I was walking by there at 3.20 on Sunday morning and there was people going in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Wolf Club

Sin É has a late license as far as I know, it's really good for atmosphere, music and selection of beers as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Wolf Club wrote: »
    Sin É has a late license as far as I know,

Only Thursday - Saturday as far as I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Wolf Club wrote: »
    Sin É has a late license as far as I know, it's really good for atmosphere, music and selection of beers as well.

I second Sin E.

Worth making a trip to Dice Bar too.

Advertisement