Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Updating Garmin devices

Options
  • 03-01-2011 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭

I'm in the process of trying to load any updates to my Nuvi 1310 which I got for Christmas and I have to say the process is a major pain.

The device detection application (forgotten the name of it) doesn't seem to work properly - I've installed it on both my Windows7 & Vista machines and both times the auto-download failed to kick off, and both times when I manually downloaded and installed it the update process came back to me and said I still didn't have it installed, even though I obviously did since I just did it. Following a reboot it eventually decided that it was installed.

Then when I ran the update it couldn't detect my device. Not only that, but it happily spun away for 10+ minutes claiming to be detecting. Eventually I noticed that even though the device was connected by USB it was now showing the navigation page, so it seemed to have undocked itself from the PC. I unplugged and replugged it and now the update process can see it again.

To top it all off, I told it to update the software and it sat there for a good 5 minutes saying "0% complete", with no indication that anything at all was happening. It's now at 12%, but it really is a very poor user experience all things considered.

Is it just me or does this sort of thing happen to users normally when they try to register their product ?

z

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Works (and has worked for ages) perfectly well for me both on XP and Windows 7.

Advertisement