Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belkin F7D4402 v1 and Eircom

• 04-01-2011 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭

Hi. Having a problem with the above router atm. I find I have to go through all the various network fixes on W7 and the router itself before it connects to Eircom. Once I get it, its fairly stable, but as ya can imagine is a pain in the backside.

I have all the basic info inserted into the router to connect to Eircom, Password, encapsulation etc, so I dunno what I've done wrong, probably something simple. Anyone else have a bit of bother like this?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Is your wireless driver up to date?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Is this every time, or just one time?

Belkin make crap products anyway, get rid of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

Drivers are fine. All up to date.

It's every time, yeah. I'm assuming its ip related. I did get an error report not long ago that said "local area network" doesn't have a valid ip address.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

What do you mean by having to go through the various network fixes?:confused:

The troubleshoot diagnostic on the networks and sharing screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

jor el wrote: »
    Is this every time, or just one time?

Belkin make crap products anyway, get rid of it.

How the hell is that supposed to help at all? Telling the OP his equipment sucks doesnt answer the question. :confused:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Is this a new router or one you got from somebody else? I ask because I was wondering if there were settings in the router which are causing problems.

What are thet dhcp settings on the router?

Have you tried using ethernet with it?

Are you using a pc or laptop with it? If a laptop does it work ok if you use it on wireless elsewhere/

dub45 wrote: »
    Is this a new router or one you got from somebody else? I ask because I was wondering if there were settings in the router which are causing problems.

What are thet dhcp settings on the router?

Have you tried using ethernet with it?

Are you using a pc or laptop with it? If a laptop does it work ok if you use it on wireless elsewhere/

It a new router yeah.

I'm using an Ethernet cable on my desktop atm.

I'm unsure of the dhcp settings. They seem to be fine. Subnet Mask is fine.

I reset the router and re entered all the eircom specific info needed restarted it to see what happens. From what I see, it seems to sync, then drop straight away.

I spoke to Eircom and they said nothing is wrong with the lines from the exchange.

It's all very confusing. Networking isn't my forté :(

roast wrote: »
    How the hell is that supposed to help at all? Telling the OP his equipment sucks doesnt answer the question. :confused:

Belkin make crap products, and it could well be the source of the problem. I could never get my Belkin DSL modem to work, even though it was set up correctly. I don't have the answer to the question anyway, which is why I suggest the modem as a possible fault. Where's your advice, or did you just want to criticise others without offering anything constructive yourself. If so, stay off the thread.
    V9 wrote: »
    I spoke to Eircom and they said nothing is wrong with the lines from the exchange.

It's all very confusing. Networking isn't my forté :(

eircom won't support a modem they didn't provide, so probably won't get anything from them. Do you still have the modem they gave you, and does it work properly? If it syncs and drops straight away, it sounds like either the line can't handle the sync speed, the modem is set up wrong, or the modem doesn't work.

the netopia one I have is banjaxed. Sync drops every 5 minutes. When the Belkin eventually connects to the internet is solid as a rock. Its the connecting is a problem.

• Advertisement

eircom may replace the Netopia for free, by supplying a Zyxel modem/router. You should ask them about this.

There's no reason bar line problems or crap modem that you should have to re-enter all the settings all the time, or for the modem to be dropping the connection continuously. If the line is syncing at a rate that has always worked, but has stopped since replacing the modem, then it's probably the modem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

for the belkin router .. see if you have these settings..

Username: eircom@eircom.net
    Password: broadband1
    Encapsulation: PPPoE (PPP over Ethernet)
    Multiplexing: LLC-based
    VPI: 8
    VCI: 35
    MTU: use default setting

Primary DNS Server213.94.190.194

Secondary DNS Server:213.94.190.236

if you have those settings.. it could very well be the modem that is the issue
    (as far as I know they are the current Eircom DNS servers)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

jor el wrote: »
    Belkin make crap products, and it could well be the source of the problem. I could never get my Belkin DSL modem to work, even though it was set up correctly. I don't have the answer to the question anyway, which is why I suggest the modem as a possible fault. Where's your advice, or did you just want to criticise others without offering anything constructive yourself. If so, stay off the thread.

Jor El im surprised at this attitude from a normally level headed Mod? roast hasn't been around here long but has been extremely helpful to posters in the Computers and Technology forums, you have over 13k posts and have been around a lot longer. this kind of attitude can be intimidating to a relatively new poster and i personally anyway thought it was a little OTT and off-form for you?

i've had no problems with belkin routers in the past, the router i have now is a Belkin N1 Vision.

the issue here i think, is an issue with networking in Windows 7, where i have experienced issues with internet connectivity dropouts over ethernet, not so much wireless. i happen to have an nvidia chipset in my laptop, these issues are fixed now, but perhaps if you could tell us what kind of ethernet or wireless card you have in your laptop that would help.

also when the internet connectivity drops, or you cannot connect, does the DSL indicator light stay on on the router and does the Internet indicator light stay on?

After the last few days i'll go through the usual routine.

I turn on the router and desktop the same time. There is one light on it so it flashes Orange. I assume at this point it is syncing. After a couple of seconds it'll turn solid green only to flashing red and staying soild red.

At this point I open the router settings and clicked "click to fix". It goes through the fixing process when it says I need to restart the router. At this point I should point out that in the router settings the internet settings box has everything at NULL and the ADSL box has nothing in it.

After the router restart the ADSL box fills up with information but the Interest settings box remains NULL. If left for a few minutes it connects itself.

It's a lot of hassle to get on the net, especially is im only using my phones WiFi or the xbox. I should be able to turn on my router, have it sync and go.

I have all the relevant eircom info that was posted above Inputted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭geraardo

I got rid of my netopia router from eircom and went with a Belkin router the N wireless version and never had a problem with it just plugged it in and off it went,never had any major issues with it.

Advertisement