Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

clamping

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

My friend was clamped last year. They do checks but not often.

Don't take the chance and pay up, or take public transport :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭athlonelad

ive paid up but if u dont park litterally between two white lines they will clamp u. im carrying around a bolt cutters and they will have to pay me to get the clamp back if i get clamped

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Or it might be easier to get in good and early in the morning before the traffic gets busy, get a good spot and never have to worry about the clampers, that's what i always do. Being clamped for not parking between the white lines is harsh alright but the clampers will look for any excuse to clamp someone.

ah yeah thats all grand but what if ur dying of a hangover, wake up late and are rushing to class.... its either take a chance and park it in a "dodgey" spot or forget about class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

if they clamp you for not being between the lines, you can argue that the car beside you was off center when they parked, thus forcing you to park in between what was already there. Doesn't really work if you're at the end though :P

athlonelad wrote: »
    ah yeah thats all grand but what if ur dying of a hangover, wake up late and are rushing to class.... its either take a chance and park it in a "dodgey" spot or forget about class.

Honestly, if you park in a dodgey spot due to hangover, it's tough ****. I'd sooner miss the class than drive while dying from the night before, too dodgey, on top of that, get pulled over and you're still over the limit? bye bye license.

• Advertisement

ha ha i was only joking about the hangover part but if your not in there before like 8.40 in the morning its very hard to get a spot. They spent fecking millions on that running track and id rather see it as a carpark to be honest. at least it would get lots of use!

well look at it this way, when the Engineering block wasn't open, those spaces around it couldn't be used either :P that was loads of fun trying to get spaces last year.

In fairness to the college, it does have quite a few parking spaces and from what I remember a decent enough ratio of students:spaces.

While I don't agree with the indoor running track myself (believe it would be better spent upgrading the other facilities/rooms of the college), it does help bring the college up to the grade of others and helps it compete and possibly introduce new courses or enhance others (sports science related).

Look, I'm afraid you'll just have to be in at 8.50 (was 8.50 for me, had it worked out perfectly last year :P) to get a space in the main campus, or around the nursing block area thereafter.

il be the lad up on the path with the angle grinder!!!:P LOL

il just be sure to do it at night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭vinamax

Or you could just get off your arse in the morning and get in on time. Or park properly of course...
    I assume you're not disabled, therefore are more than capable of walking more than a few yards from a parking space. There are spaces to the back of the engineering block, trades block and nurses building, by the back gate, at the front of the engineering block, beside the old prefabs,beside the MPH(pay and display but handy for short-term and if you're stuck), and if you only live in Glen Abhainn, Willow, Cypress, or any other neighbouring estates/apartments then there's not much reason to drive in at all.

I don't like the "no-nonsense" approach to clamping, but if your crappy parking endanger pedestrians and limit the spaces available for others then you deserve it. Sorry but that's how it is.

And now due to Athlone Institute Of Technology's admirably wise planning abilities, half the campus is being ripped up to make way for a completely useless indoor athletics track. Which of course means that the car park in front of the engineering building and where the old prefabs used to be are now both inaccessible, meaning less parking and a field day for the clampers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

Poor Athlonelad! Awful abuse just for disliking clampers, Driving into college twisted, risking the lives of other students and leaving your car abandoned, recklessly - causing access problems to security services.

When I was in the college you use to be able to drive along the kerb/grass/footpath into the lecturers car park to the side of scribes. Or buy a big monster truck to drive over kerbs.
    Also the guest parking, I use to drive up and say I was meeting someone (pick a name!) and they'd let you in there.
    It is ridiculous though! They should really have a bit better public transport into the college from around town.

you owe a sarcasm meter boredatwork :P

vinamax wrote: »
    Or you could just get off your arse in the morning and get in on time. Or park properly of course...
    I assume you're not disabled, therefore are more than capable of walking more than a few yards from a parking space. There are spaces to the back of the engineering block, trades block and nurses building, by the back gate, at the front of the engineering block, beside the old prefabs,beside the MPH(pay and display but handy for short-term and if you're stuck), and if you only live in Glen Abhainn, Willow, Cypress, or any other neighbouring estates/apartments then there's not much reason to drive in at all.

I don't like the "no-nonsense" approach to clamping, but if your crappy parking endanger pedestrians and limit the spaces available for others then you deserve it. Sorry but that's how it is.

you underestimate my laziness... and dislike for clampers.
    I actually would much rather just get a bus to college but alas there are none. until then I will just have to be a bit of an a##hole about parking if I am feeling lazy I guess!!

Depends on where you're coming from. Car-pooling could also work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭Damien360

As a former student (91-95) and now a visitor on about 3 occasions a year for work, I can only say that ye cannot park for ****e. The white lines are for parking between and not on. You are not the worst, Carlow IT and Waterford IT takes that biscuit. The clampers in waterford are overly zealous, as are those in Limerick IT. I would normally say no way to clampers but Athlone needs them big time. I was there this week and they were digging up the rear car park so there was no access to parking behind the main building so it should add to the fun when everyone returns.

A temporary carpark has been set up at the Tack Room/Blinkers/Genesis (whatever name you know it by). It's not that big but it's better than nothing.

Damien360 wrote: »
    As a former student (91-95) and now a visitor on about 3 occasions a year for work, I can only say that ye cannot park for ****e. The white lines are for parking between and not on. You are not the worst, Carlow IT and Waterford IT takes that biscuit. The clampers in waterford are overly zealous, as are those in Limerick IT. I would normally say no way to clampers but Athlone needs them big time. I was there this week and they were digging up the rear car park so there was no access to parking behind the main building so it should add to the fun when everyone returns.

Maybe the college should offer a course in "How to park your car?"

But then again there would prob be limited spaces

Parking is gone crazy altogether!! I got one of those warning stickers on my window there last week so I decided enough was enough. I "borrowed" a reserved sign and just put it across a space when im not there.. bit cheeky?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭IPushButtons

Maybe the college should offer a course in "How to park your car?"

It could be a one year add on to "Know you car" :D:D

Parking is gone crazy altogether!! I got one of those warning stickers on my window there last week so I decided enough was enough. I "borrowed" a reserved sign and just put it across a space when im not there.. bit cheeky?
    It's a bit cheeky alright but i like your way of thinking.

It's gone a bit ridiculous now alright, i was watching the clampers there one day and i don't think they even knew where to start. But there's only so much the students can do about it, if there's nowhere to park then there's nowhere to park and that's the college's fault because of their bad planning. Even the temporary carpark at Auburn isn't enough to solve the problem. The college should just get the clampers to **** off for the rest of this year at least.

I still get in at my usual time though and get a place at the back of the engineering building.

• Advertisement

The clampers shouldnt clamp anyone. Unless of course if they are blocking people in. Thats just rude. I wouldnt even do that and I'm a total Boll1cks

Advertisement