Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simple Singleton Recipies

Options
  • 04-01-2011 1:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, could anyone tell me where I can get recipies that are simple.. i.e. few ingredients, few pots an nothing that can't be got in my local supervalu..
    Failing this I'd appreciate if you could point me to a website where i can access the same info..

cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I suspect if you typed one pot cooking into google you'd quicky find something. I'm like yourself - keep the washing up and cooking complication to a minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Do a forum search for "easy peasy" & this will bring up a thread with a load of recipes that may suit you.

Am on mobile at the mo so can't copy & paste links.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,439 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

I love the BBC food site for different ideas. You can put it in ingredients that you have and it'll give you a selection of recipes:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

You can make a big batch of stuff and put it in empty jars or tupperware and freeze it. After a while you can get a collection going in the freezer and have different meals. Any sauce based dishes freeze well, like curry, chilli, spag bol etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

I read this thread title as "Single Simpleton Recipes" :D

Good advice above.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭Firblog

I read this thread title as "Single Simpleton Recipes" :D

Totally interchangeable without losing the meaning lol

thanks for the advice folks, really appreciated

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭nearly

Cooking in bulk is also an economical option if you're cooking for one.

You did ask for recipes with few ingredients and simple, but the easy peasy list is all short order type fast stuff.

An economical way for a singleton is to do a big cook once a week of things like chilis, curry, bolognese, stews- and freeze into meal portions.

Don't eat chili for a week you'll get bored. Mix and rotate. They'll be good in the freezer for a month. Eat the curry with naan one time, and rice another time.

I did my own ready meals like that as a singleton for a long time. And I still do! Super handy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭grandslamsmith

Send me a PM
    Tell me what you have
    I'll give you a recipe
    Any time
    easy peasy
    lemon squeasy

Slam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

Here's a quick & easy favourite of mine recently.....take a piece of frozen fish...I got some nice hake & sole in Dunnes recently, but I expect Super Valu have them as well. Also get some peppers & a red onion (white onion will also do & you can add any other veg, courgette, mangetout etc if you have it lying around). Slice onion & peppers as you would for stir-fry. Place the veg on a baking tray, drizzle with olive oil and mix. Then add fish to your baking tray. Cook for 20-30 mins in oven as per instructions for the fish. Meanwhile cook potatoes or rice on hob. Nothing too complicated and you have healthy tasty meal handy enough.

• Advertisement

please, please, please, please do not get your fish from Dunnes or Supervalu!!! Go to the fishmarkets Howth, Dun L., or the new super market in Phibsboro/Glasnevin direction........that is if your are interested in quality and flavour!

Slam

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Which new supermarket in Phibs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

Unfortunately we don't all live in Dublin......fresh fish would be my first choice, but I don't have any fresh fish outlets that are accessible to me.....

Yip - that's a problem alright being landlocked. A buddy of mine from Portlaoise raves about a fishmonger 'van' that comes once a week - not sure if other towns have something similar but my home town in the black North has had a guys coming every Friday for 25 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Send me a PM
    Tell me what you have
    I'll give you a recipe
    Any time
    easy peasy
    lemon squeasy

Slam

A'right there Jamie Oliver, want to share some of those pukka sekkrit ideas with the class?

Are you kiddin' me - I've a rep as long as yer leg Sweepy! At least give me a letter of the Alphabet to start with!

Slam

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Favourite simple recipe and why - for instance mine's either pasta carbonara (the 'classic' way, no cream - that's a one-pot dish) or tuna with pasta - stir tuna through pasta, add an emulsion of lemonjuice and olive oil, black pepper, little parsley - both very quick and easy meals. So what's yours?

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I cook several things in bulk and fill up the freezer. Its great just to come home and bung something in the microwave. You can freeze food in the plastic type chinese takeaway containers. Perfect size for a singe portion.

a Massive pot of mince beef with mushrooms, & onions can give you the basis for portions of savory mince, shepherds pie, spagetti, chilli and lasange to freeze, once you add a few more ingredients to the base dish.
    Curries, Soups, Stews, Jambylaya and the above are all in my freezer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭carraghsgem

Yip - that's a problem alright being landlocked. A buddy of mine from Portlaoise raves about a fishmonger 'van' that comes once a week - not sure if other towns have something similar but my home town in the black North has had a guys coming every Friday for 25 years.

theres a brilliant one at the farmers market in roscommon town every friday, his fish is so good there are queues, apart from the usual fish (cod, monkfish, haddock etc) he has fresh prawns, mussels, clams, oysters an even squid/calamari

just discovered his stall lately as i dont usually shop in roscommon town, but since that discovery my shopping habits have changed! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement