Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Helpful advice seeked...

Options
  • 04-01-2011 1:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭

Hey,

Just wondering if anybody has any views or opinions on my own particular personal finance situation. It isn't the most complicated of situations, but i just thought id try hear some outside opinions.

Basically the situation is this. I'm with AIB, my partner is with BOI. We have decided that we would like to get a mortgage sometime in the near future so we have put a savings plan together for the new year.

Our dilema is where to save this money, taking into account it will go towards either a deposit on a house, or can be used as a sort of barganing tool, in that whoever we are saving with will be more likely to give us a mortgage?

Should we create a joint account with TSB (who have the best return) and seek a mortgage with them?

Should we both just save in our own seperate banks for now and worry about joint ventures at the time of seeking mortgage?

Should either of us close our current banking account and join the others bank, and save there intead?

I understand i wont find a solution here, and i hope this doesnt come across as lazy. I am doing an enormous amount of research myself. I just like to hear others opinions. Hope you can help:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Mort5000

Our dilema is where to save this money, taking into account it will go towards either a deposit on a house, or can be used as a sort of barganing tool, in that whoever we are saving with will be more likely to give us a mortgage?

Put it where you'll earn the best rate of interest short term.
    When the time comes to apply for the home loan, they won't care where you held the deposit, only that you have one.
    Their evaluation would most likely be based on your credit history, salary, and all that jazz, again, not minding where you have a current savings account.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭IpreDictDeatH

Ok cool, thanks for your input.

Advertisement