Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

State of the Forum Address

Options
  • 04-01-2011 2:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭

Now that the festive season is behind us I figured I might as well put up a feedback thread for the forum. So, inhabitants of the realm of rock and metal, this is your opportunity to tell the mods (well, me) what you'd change about the forum, what you like about the forum, what you dislike about the forum.
    Basically any forum-related feedback or suggestions you feel like providing, here is the place. Please keep it civil and obviously if it's something you'd prefer to keep private, PM me.

Also note that there's a separate discussion on whether to create a single gigs/events thread that's ongoing here. I would really appreciate more feedback before any decisions are made so if you have an opinion on that discussion, please post on that thread.

For anyone that's curious, the thread title came from this:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

TBH Malice_ I dont think there is much, if anything, that I would change.

There is enough discussion threads to render the forum as quite active, there are rarely problematic troll posts, and it all seems to tick over nicely.

An oft mooted change that had been mooted in the past was:

Seperate fora for Rock and Metal. - I dont think this idea holds water as the new fora would not be active enough, and would die a slow death like the punk forum.

In summary - all is fine with R&M IMO, and you got a nice, relatively trouble free forum to mod :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Seperate fora for Rock and Metal.

I'd buy this for a dollar.

Maybe a more proactive stance on local bands\gigs. I know that just sounds like turning this forum in to Metal Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

What Max said. Great little forum with no hassles or people sniping at you for your taste in Rock and Metal.

A split into Rock & Metal would be a disaster imo. Apart from the arguments over what is rock and what is metal(i still often hear GN'R referred to as metal!) i think it'd result in reduced traffic to the forum(s) if split.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

I agree with lordlucan tis grand the way it is.A split will cause arguments no doubt.

People can air their views/opinions on this forum no matter what genre without getting shot down by elitists.

Friendly banter is good too!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Gig thread sticky as another poster has said would be a welcome addition I'd feel.

• Advertisement

That_Guy wrote: »
    Gig thread sticky as another poster has said would be a welcome addition I'd feel.
    Actually I would agree with this suggestion.

A lot of gigs are not advertised much and it would be helpful and informative to have a thread dedicated to this. Especially local bands.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Seperate fora for Rock and Metal.
    Well I'm very much against that idea so I would need some serious persuasion for it to happen. I've yet to be presented with a good reason for it either.
    scudzilla wrote: »
    Apart from free coke and hookers for regular posters i can't see much wrong with the forum, one of the better run one's i subscribe too.
    See the way it works is the Admins supply the Cat Mods, the Cat Mods supply the Mods and if there's anything left, the users get a share. I'm naturally greedy and I'm both a Mod and a Cat Mod so there's never going to be any left for you lot :p
    chin_grin wrote:
    Maybe a more proactive stance on local bands\gigs.
    Could you elaborate on this? I'm not sure what you mean.

Malice_ wrote: »
    Well I'm very much against that idea so I would need some serious persuasion for it to happen. I've yet to be presented with a good reason for it either.
    Im not sure why you quoted me on that one, I also said I was against it as it makes no sense?

Im not sure why you quoted me on that one, I also said I was against it as it makes no sense?
    I quoted you because yours was the first post that mentioned it.

Could you elaborate on this? I'm not sure what you mean.

I know there's a sticky for Irish bands. Was just thinking that there could be a mention for gigs (specific to rock\metal) for them?

Maybe a thread by venue? Or a superthread if you didn't want it to get cluttered here.

• Advertisement

chin_grin wrote: »
    I know there's a sticky for Irish bands. Was just thinking that there could be a mention for gigs (specific to rock\metal) for them?

Maybe a thread by venue? Or a superthread if you didn't want it to get cluttered here.
    Isn't that addressed in the first post? This paragraph specifically:
    Also note that there's a separate discussion on whether to create a single gigs/events thread that's ongoing here. I would really appreciate more feedback before any decisions are made so if you have an opinion on that discussion, please post on that thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Anyone who thinks the forum is more metal than rock(which it obviously is) & that rock discussion is lacking should feel free to start rock threads & get it going.

Isn't that addressed in the first post? This paragraph specifically:

Oops! What I get for speed reading. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭silent sage

I agree with the following ideas:

• A stickied upcoming Gigs/Events thread where, as suggested by Knifey Spoony, there would be no discussion (I only heard about the upcoming Explosions in the Sky gig from a thread asking who you'd most like to see) but optional individual gig threads containing discussion could be created at a poster's leisure. I'm not a fan of seeing a front page half filled with stickied threads, but I don't think there's a risk of that yet.
    • Not separate fora for Rock & Metal
    • Free coke & hookers for regular posters which, let's be fair, should be bought and supplied by the Mod

Other than that, I like the level of traffic at the moment. It's not too crowded, so you can actually get to know regular users as well as their taste in R&M and it seems to tick along nicely. If anything I'd like to see a few more people around here, but I feel that will come over time (shur with the prospect of free coke and hookers, we may need a bouncer at the door).

I'm not a fan of seeing a front page half filled with stickied threads
    There are quite a few stickied threads at the moment but this thread, the 2010 gig thread will be unstuck soon. The general chat and in the pit list threads could be unstuck if screen space is a problem. I don't know if it's a problem for other users. I'm running on a 27 inch monitor so I've plenty of screen space :).
    Free coke & hookers for regular posters which, let's be fair, should be bought and supplied by the Mod
    I don't know if I'll buy them but here is a hooker:
    hooker.jpg

and some coke:
    coke_4.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Jem_

I agree with the following ideas:

• A stickied upcoming Gigs/Events thread where, as suggested by Knifey Spoony, there would be no discussion (I only heard about the upcoming Explosions in the Sky gig from a thread asking who you'd most like to see) but optional individual gig threads containing discussion could be created at a poster's leisure. I'm not a fan of seeing a front page half filled with stickied threads, but I don't think there's a risk of that yet.
    • Not separate fora for Rock & Metal
    • Free coke & hookers for regular posters which, let's be fair, should be bought and supplied by the Mod

Other than that, I like the level of traffic at the moment. It's not too crowded, so you can actually get to know regular users as well as their taste in R&M and it seems to tick along nicely. If anything I'd like to see a few more people around here, but I feel that will come over time (shur with the prospect of free coke and hookers, we may need a bouncer at the door).
    -1 on hookers I don't really need them
    +1 on half stickied page I want more freedom for regular posters less formal statistics and threads about money&alcohol&chicks etc more music and creativities

Jem_ wrote: »
    But that phrase "coke and hookers" is the most used phrase on boards!

(incidentally I hate it too)

But that phrase "coke and hookers" is the most used phrase on boards!

(incidentally I hate it too)

That's racism bro. :D

That's racism bro. :D
    what?

Are hookers a race now?

what?

Are hookers a race now?

I'm not sure. I'll google it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Neddys 2c would be unstick the chat thread.450 odd posts in two years says it all.

Its been mentioned about having a sticky for gigs.Id be of the opinion that a thread like this could/should also encompass new album releases/recommendations too.All too often Ive missed out on releases because I dont buy magazines and other forums like metalireland are IMO,a nightmare to get around.I remember starting a thread like that a year or two ago but it just got lost.Aside from that its all good in the hood.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

a Metallica super duper thread.

For all the super DUPER Metallica news.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

a Metallica super duper thread.

For all the super DUPER Metallica news.

You mean something like this :rolleyes::rolleyes:

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055884140

scudzilla wrote: »
    You mean something like this :rolleyes::rolleyes:

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055884140
    But that's pnly for metallica news.

Where does all the "super DUPER" metalica discussion go?

:D

There are quite a few stickied threads at the moment but this thread, the 2010 gig thread will be unstuck soon. The general chat and in the pit list threads could be unstuck if screen space is a problem. I don't know if it's a problem for other users. I'm running on a 27 inch monitor so I've plenty of screen space :).

Yes, I was taking into account the few stickied threads that will/could be unstuck. I'm of the opinion that the less stickied threads the better, but I think the Gig thread would be a very useful addition. I'm mainly based in Cork and with that I don't have the volume or variety of R/M bands that you would find in say Dublin, so it would be nice to hear about some lesser known, even local Irish, bands playing in my area. I don't frequent the Gigs & Events forum and I generally don't buy R/M magazines or visit sites like Metal Ireland.
    I don't know if I'll buy them but here is a hooker:
    hooker.jpg

and some coke:
    coke_4.jpg
    I figured you'd have better contacts than that :p.

I don't either, but it's always nice to have the option. I see you didn't -1 the coke though :pac:.

Maybe sub fora by genre? And you could have stickies up the top for band recommendations.

G'wan..........You know you want to!

<I know it'll probably be a logistical nightmare.......but I can dream.........I can dream.>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Two main reasons I don't use this forum despite adoring music and loving to talk about it:

1) Ye're all so bloody judgmental! The constant slagging of bands that aren't "hard" enough or whatever the hell else is so irritating and dull. I can't stand music elitists and this place is full of them and frankly, it scares people off because they don't want to confess what they really like for fear they'll get slated.

2) TOO. MUCH. FECKING. METAL. All the discussion is about metal. The picture thread is for metallers. The chat thread is for metallers. Every thread, metal. And if it's not, it just goes back to #1. Rock is in the title, too, you know!

I love music and I love discussing music but the judgmental elitist attitude should be left at the door imho.

Thanks for your feedback liah, I'll try to address your two points so hopefully you will visit this forum more often. Please don't take any implied criticism personally.
    liah wrote: »
    1) Ye're all so bloody judgmental! The constant slagging of bands that aren't "hard" enough or whatever the hell else is so irritating and dull. I can't stand music elitists and this place is full of them and frankly, it scares people off because they don't want to confess what they really like for fear they'll get slated.
    I can't stand musical elitists either. I don't think there's a constant slagging of bands on this forum. Certain bands will attract negative comments but so what? Someone saying that Matt Tuck looks like a twat isn't going to affect my opinion of Bullet For My Valentine and it shouldn't change yours.

As for confessing what they really like, this is the Rock + Metal forum so there's not a lot of point in starting a discussion on Lisa Gerrard, Tiesto, John Williams, Brian Eno or Lady Gaga because they'll just get moved to the appropriate forum. For the record I like all of the aforementioned artists and I'm not afraid to admit it ;).

I would love if posts that are just slagging off bands without offering any logic were reported so that, in the off-chance that I miss them, I'll be able to review them later.
    liah wrote:
    2) TOO. MUCH. FECKING. METAL. All the discussion is about metal. The picture thread is for metallers. The chat thread is for metallers. Every thread, metal. And if it's not, it just goes back to #1. Rock is in the title, too, you know!
    Okay, looking at the front page right now, there are two threads specifically devoted to rock (here and here), seven devoted to gigs (some of which are metal-orientated, fair enough) and four devoted to metal (which in turn are related to industrial metal, thrash metal and hardcore). Sure there are a lot of metal-orientated threads but the obvious answer to me each time this comes up is to start the discussion threads yourself. Don't wait for the mountain to come to Mohammed, grab the bull by the horns etc. Whatever discussion topics you want to see, start them!

As for the pictures thread, I didn't know we had one. There are hottest guys and girls in metal threads. Are they what you mean? If so, I'm sure if I went through them I'd find plenty of rock musicians in both. Maybe I should change the thread titles?

As for the chat thread, it's title is a play on an AC/DC song who are a rock band. I don't see where the "for metal only" idea relates to that thread at all.
    liah wrote:
    I love music and I love discussing music but the judgmental elitist attitude should be left at the door imho.
    I totally agree. Like I said earlier, if you happen to come across posts that you feel are being elitist, report them and I'll review them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

liah wrote: »

Maybe more metal fans post? :confused:

I don't think it's an attempt by Metal fans to take over the forum.
    chin_grin wrote: »
    Maybe sub fora by genre? And you could have stickies up the top for band recommendations.

That would be a nightmare! I mean most people seem to be against splitting the forum into separate rock and metal due to the grey areas, let alone the arguments that would happen if someone disagreed about a band falling into the Progressive,technical, blackened,swedish electro-death metal sub-forum.

Advertisement