Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RA problem tenant - advice please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

Ofcourse, RA is given in the form of a cheque, which the recipient has to lodge.
    It's not cash into the hand as so many believe.

Furthermore, did the LL say that he had been accepting the rent as cash into the hand?

When I got RA, I collected it at the post office, was handed the cash out same as many people do when collecting other SW payments. I guess there may be a few different systems depending on location, as Fran79 says.
    Rather than hand this cash to the LL, we both agreed that it would be hassle free to pay via SO, so I just lodged the cash to my bank A/C and payment went from there.

If some RA payments are given in the form of a cheque which the recipient has to lodge anyway, then it would be even easier for them to set up a standing order to the LL.

I do agree with other posters that the current system of RA is causing unnecessary problems for both tenants and LLs alike with the delays in processing and the method of payment in arrears.

Rent should be paid in advance, and TBH it's up to the tenant to ensure it is, no matter if they are waiting on money (RA or private tenant alike) or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 HermesHermione

Penguino wrote: »
    Have you registered with the PRTB, if so they should be able to give you some advise www.prtb.ie

I do hope you were registered with PRTB as you will be fined if you did not, having said that, they are useless and will not help you in any beneficial way. Desperation helps Landlords make poor decisions when a months rent is proffered. You are in great danger of having your property trashed make no mistake about this. I am aware of two successful takebacks of rental property and neither of them were legal. One involved changing the locks when the tenants were out and placing all their goods in the garden and the second one, two big surly individuals arrived on the premises indicating that they were related to the owner and had to stay there in the sittingroom. Going the legal route is stark and a lonely place to travel. I have every sympathy for you and wish you good luck. There are as many bad tenants as landlords but I do feel there should be a register of both however that might come about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Fol20 wrote: »
    Wow just wow!!!
    Your being very severe on this op even though i think he was very leniant and good to these tenants.Yes he made some mistakes as a LL but saying all of this is completely his fall is WRONG.
    A lot of LL dont allow RA tenants and this LL was good enough to allow it.If i were him and they couldnt provide the money up front,i wouldnt have allowed them in but this LL was kind hearted and allowed it.

I don't see your point. If not the ops fault then whose fault is it?

I didn't say he was at fault for accepting RA, I said that the tenant being RA was not relevant. He could have rented to anyone, not requiring deposit and first months rent is like inviting a squatter in to your home. Getting annoyed about the result after is just silly. Learn and move on. 28 days and hopefully new tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

BostonB wrote: »
    1 month in arrears. Should be 1 month in advance same as other tenants. I know there were delays of up to 5 months in some areas before tenants got their first payment, backdated, but thats not the point. For the tenant and LL thats unworkable.

Why do people assume the RA recipients sit around in arrears shrugging their shoulders saying 'can't pay, cheque hasn't come'.
    I expect they would do what I did which was pay the rent on time and then lodge the cheque upon receipt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Dunno because that wasn't what I said.

Many tenants can't cover the rent without the cheque. That was my point.

• Advertisement

BostonB wrote: »
    Dunno because that wasn't what I said.

Many tenants can't cover the rent without the cheque. That was my point.

I'll bet many can, but many don't want to take the hit on other luxuries.

I saved my jobseekers in order to pay the rent, and then re-emburse myself with the cheque when it arrived.

Also, one can't claim RA unless they've been living in the abode they're claiming for, for atleast six months.
    So how is it that tenants are newly moving into a premises and paying by RA?

Where does it say thats a condition.

All that says is you must be renting to apply. Its says nothing about it having to the be the "same abode"
    ...one can't claim RA unless they've been living in the abode they're claiming for, for atleast six months....

It seems to say it can be a different "abode"
    You can combine time living in more than one rented accommodation

So you can leave one place where you weren't claiming, and move into a new place, and start claiming there.

Thats my reading of it. I've seen people do it.

Well if that's the case, then the people I was referring to, should already have their Ra sorted, so they have no excuse to turn up empty handed on the first day of their new lease.

Furthermore, and this just out of curiosity, it also says that you have to be able to prove you could afford the rent at the beginning of your tenancy. If someone is starting a new tenancy in this situation, then surely they don't meet the criteria.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

edellc wrote: »
    Just to point out not all RA tenants are like this and whether your tenant is RA or not it is unacceptable to behave in such a manner.
    I feel very strongly that mentioning in your title that they are RA tenants is completely wrong as it is giving the wrong impression of people who are in need of state assistance

Wrong....I was willing to consider RA when I was letting out my house, when they rang, I said I would take their details and get back to them. At least 90% of RA calls hung up phone before I even finished the call! Most are leeches, and will always be leeches.

Another guy I know, his RA tenant starting making demands for rooms to be painted different colours and wanted more furniture, and this house was very nice anyway...they always seem to be the ones who make unreasonable demands and cause most problems to LL..imo

Well if that's the case, then the people I was referring to, should already have their Ra sorted, so they have no excuse to turn up empty handed on the first day of their new lease.

Furthermore, and this just out of curiosity, it also says that you have to be able to prove you could afford the rent at the beginning of your tenancy. If someone is starting a new tenancy in this situation, then surely they don't meet the criteria.

Looks like that. Perhaps theres a delay when switching payment to a new LL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭pawrick

I believe that the fact the person was in receipt of RA is irrelevent to this case. The tennent is taking you for a ride simple as that and you have made it easy for them.

Fair enough RA tennents can be a bit more work in general due to the fact they are claiming but that doesn't mean the person should be considered sub human since they claim RA.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

pawrick wrote: »
    I believe that the fact the person was in receipt of RA is irrelevent to this case. The tennent is taking you for a ride simple as that and you have made it easy for them.

Fair enough RA tennents can be a bit more work in general due to the fact they are claiming but that doesn't mean the person should be considered sub human since they claim RA.

No one is saying RA people are sub human although it does influence the way money is received.
    Tbh honest i wouldnt want a RA for the very reason it creates more hassle for the LL.
    Flamers dont hate please:o

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Fran79

Just to clear up the above...

to get RA you either have to have been living in the house for at least 6 months and have been able to pay the rent from your own means OR be on the local housing list. See below link about half way down page.

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Schemes/SupplementaryWelfareAllowance/Pages/RentSupplement.aspx

Fran79 wrote: »
    Just to clear up the above...

to get RA you either have to have been living in the house for at least 6 months and have been able to pay the rent from your own means OR be on the local housing list. See below link about half way down page.

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Schemes/SupplementaryWelfareAllowance/Pages/RentSupplement.aspx

I thought it was both.

When I applied for RA I had to go to the local housing section in DCC HQ and have them fill out a page on the form.

In most cases I believe it is both, but if you are moving into a new property then just being assessed by the local housing section as having a need is sufficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

After reading all this I am getting a bit worried. I have been applying for FAS Work Placement Programmes across the country so I'll have to rent somewhere if i get a placement. The work doesnt pay but you still claim social welfare and can get rent allowance as far as i know. Ive never rented before (ive just finished college) and some of the comments here are saying you need to have rented 6 month prior etc. I have money saved for a deposit and rent in advance and have every intention of being a good honest tenant but would be planning to pay the rent with RA as i'll have no income.

There seem to be some landlords here and i was just wondering what their opinion would be of someone in my situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

Doom wrote: »
    Wrong....I was willing to consider RA when I was letting out my house, when they rang, I said I would take their details and get back to them. At least 90% of RA calls hung up phone before I even finished the call! Most are leeches, and will always be leeches.

Another guy I know, his RA tenant starting making demands for rooms to be painted different colours and wanted more furniture, and this house was very nice anyway...they always seem to be the ones who make unreasonable demands and cause most problems to LL..imo

NOT WRONG you had a bad experience with one tenant as did the guy you know to say all RA tenants are like that based on theses experiences is WRONG

You get good and bad everywhere if your closed minded and judge on circumstances thats your problem lets hope you never fall on bad times karma might well bite you in the b** :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Noo wrote: »
    After reading all this I am getting a bit worried. I have been applying for FAS Work Placement Programmes across the country so I'll have to rent somewhere if i get a placement. The work doesnt pay but you still claim social welfare and can get rent allowance as far as i know. Ive never rented before (ive just finished college) and some of the comments here are saying you need to have rented 6 month prior etc. I have money saved for a deposit and rent in advance and have every intention of being a good honest tenant but would be planning to pay the rent with RA as i'll have no income.

There seem to be some landlords here and i was just wondering what their opinion would be of someone in my situation.

You have to have been renting for at least 183 days (6 months) and be assessed as being in need of LA housing before you can apply for RA...

Some more info here:http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/supplementary_welfare_schemes/rent_supplement.html

• Advertisement

You have to have been renting for at least 183 days (6 months) and be assessed as being in need of LA housing before you can apply for RA...

Some more info here:http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/supplementary_welfare_schemes/rent_supplement.html

This is not entirely true...directly underneath where it states the 6 month rule it also says...."
    Or
    • Be assessed in the last 12 months by a local authority as being eligible for and in need of social housing. If you don't have a housing need assessment, you must go to the local authority to have your housing need assessed. The local authority must be in the same area that you intend to live and claim Rent Supplement. Only when you are assessed as eligible for and in need of housing can you apply for Rent Supplement. Rent Supplement is not payable while the local authority is carrying out a housing needs assessment. "
    OR being the imperative word here.
    The only problem being that the local authority can take ages to process your assessment for housing need and you will not be paid RA while this is being done (or be able to make a back dated claim to cover you whilst you are waiting).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Fran79 wrote: »
    This is not entirely true...directly underneath where it states the 6 month rule it also says...."
    Or
    • Be assessed in the last 12 months by a local authority as being eligible for and in need of social housing. If you don't have a housing need assessment, you must go to the local authority to have your housing need assessed. The local authority must be in the same area that you intend to live and claim Rent Supplement. Only when you are assessed as eligible for and in need of housing can you apply for Rent Supplement. Rent Supplement is not payable while the local authority is carrying out a housing needs assessment. "
    OR being the imperative word here.
    The only problem being that the local authority can take ages to process your assessment for housing need and you will not be paid RA while this is being done (or be able to make a back dated claim to cover you whilst you are waiting).

Sorry, but you are not correct. The rules changed again last year and you DO have to be assessed for LA housing before RA is paid. This happened to us last year when we already had an application in. We then had to complete paperwork for the LA assessment. We also had a visit from the CWO. RA took about 10 weeks to come through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Sorry, but you are not correct. The rules changed again last year and you DO have to be assessed for LA housing before RA is paid. This happened to us last year when we already had an application in. We then had to complete paperwork for the LA assessment. We also had a visit from the CWO. RA took about 10 weeks to come through.

Not in my case (this year)
    I didn't have to go on a housing list - the 6month rule applied.
    Mind you, I was not sure before I went to see my CWO as I had heard different areas (and CWOs) had different criteria even though the rules are clear on the website.

The OP - I feel sorry for them, they did make some funadmental errors but I hope they get those dirtbags out.
    I think the title of the OP is wrong though. Just plain wrong.
    The OP would have covered the fact the bad tenants are on RA in the body of the post.

Anyway, best of luck OP.

Hi I'm not disagreeing with you on this point. I was emphasising "OR" in response to the assumption that you had to be in the property for 6 months first as well as being asessed. I've already stated that just being assessed as having a need is enough to get RA.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

ztoical wrote: »
    It seems to very patchy across the country as to what is followed but the offical stance is tenants aren't allowed to top up. Been a few threads on here and the welfare forum from LL being asked by tenants to not put the full rent amount on the forum and tenants wanting to top up the rent and being told they can't and others not having any issues.

When i applied for RA i brought a copy of my rent contract with me
    rent was 100 eu a week got from SW 75 euos a week
    So i had to pay the difference myself to the landlord

When i applied for RA i brought a copy of my rent contract with me
    rent was 100 eu a week got from SW 75 euos a week
    So i had to pay the difference myself to the landlord

Yeah, same as me, albeit differrent rates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

pawrick wrote: »

Are we not allowed to state facts anymore or something, the tenant is RA and is taking the mickey...i didnt see anywhere that the OP started generalising about all RA tenants.

Its mad how over-sensitive people can be about things its totally relevant in this case as its a fact.

It is worthy of mention.

The state is paying for this apartment.
    If these people had to pay their own way and consequences with money they had to earn, they may have behaved mroe civily.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bertie1

curadh wrote: »
    Hi everyone, I took on a tenant last september in receipt of rent allowance. From the start I gave them the benefit of the doubt, move in day arrived and they showed up with no deposit, however I went ahead through sheer desperation of having to meet the mortgage which was way behind. Rent started coming through 2 months after, which is supposed to be supplemented. To this day the rent has not been paid fully once, at Christmas Im informed they threatened two neighbours one morning over being 'in their way'. Then they had a huge party where two windows got smashed and on passing by this evening there looks to be graffiti on the walls inside.
    I rang the tenants and asked them what was happening with the windows as its easy to see they have been smashed from the inside. I am told they can't afford to get them fixed and it doesnt bother them anyway cos they have the heat up.
    I know I must serve an eviction notice immediately, however that will give them 28 days to further destroy the place, and me with no deposit. Can I do anything else to get them out. I feel like a real soft touch, under a lot of pressure from elsewhere at the moment and could really do without this. Worst part is Im pretty sure Im powerless, just have to wait for them to get out and then try to pull the cash from somewhere to do it up again. Any advice?:)

When you get them out pursue them through the Prtb http://www.prtb.ie/
    Take plenty of photos, & keep copies of all documentation & receipts for all work done to reinstate the house to the condition it was in when they moved in. I had a similar incident & the ex tenant is now obliged through the court to pay off the arrears as well as damage to the house . She is now paying . Assuming you have registered the tenancy of course. They can be traced by their PPS number

• Advertisement

If they are receiving RA then you will have to have signed a form from the HSE surely?

Why not go to the rent clinic at the local HSE office and see if you can have it then cancel the RA.

Advertisement