Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RA problem tenant - advice please

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Graces7 wrote: »
    Interesting how you have suddenly gone back to ONE example after lambasting RA tenants in genera.. so we do make progress slowly; thank you.

The LL laid himself wide open by not demanding a deposit; that rule is there for a very good reason. Period; he has only himself to blame.

We have never and would never ask that and nor would anyone who is honest.

Telling someone of my advanced ago to "grow up" is hilarious; for the laugh, thank you.

as taxpayers, we have a right to know how the money is being spent.
    If its being spent supporting scumbags who are wrecking someone else property, then we have a right to have that addressed.

If you can point out where I have suggested differently, do point that out.

Glad you got to see a humorous side, it would be a shame if you did not adopt the recommendation however.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

Interesting how you have suddenly gone back to ONE example after lambasting RA tenants in genera.. so we do make progress slowly; thank you.

The LL laid himself wide open by not demanding a deposit; that rule is there for a very good reason. Period; he has only himself to blame.

We have never and would never ask that and nor would anyone who is honest.

Telling someone of my advanced ago to "grow up" is hilarious; for the laugh, thank you.

There is no rule that anyone has to take a deposit. It is simply a convention. When I first started renting the deposit was only the equivalent of 1 weeks rent.
    I fail to see what any of this has to do with the o/p. The tenant is in there deposit or no deposit. The only function of a deposit is to filter out tenants. If they cannot raise a deposit it says a certain amount about their financial standing and their financial management skills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

People still cause damage and default on their rent regardless of having paid a deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

Fran79 wrote: »
    This is not entirely true...directly underneath where it states the 6 month rule it also says...."

Or
    • Be assessed in the last 12 months by a local authority as being eligible for and in need of social housing. If you don't have a housing need assessment, you must go to the local authority to have your housing need assessed. The local authority must be in the same area that you intend to live and claim Rent Supplement. Only when you are assessed as eligible for and in need of housing can you apply for Rent Supplement. Rent Supplement is not payable while the local authority is carrying out a housing needs assessment. "
    OR being the imperative word here.
    The only problem being that the local authority can take ages to process your assessment for housing need and you will not be paid RA while this is being done (or be able to make a back dated claim to cover you whilst you are waiting).

Thanks for that. I have the forms for the housing authority for the area i've moved to so i'll apply anyway and see what happens. I've already been to the CWO in the area too and they were far from helpful, basically told me not to even try to get rent supplement and not to go to the housing authority.

I was once told by a guy in social welfare office not to bother getting assessed for the dole as i wont get anything, because he was very rude i went ahead and did it anyway and yes he was wrong and i did get something, so when people are unhelpful and tell me not to bother applying I always have a greater urge to do so.

The CWO where i used to live told me the complete opposite of my new CWO and that i should definitely apply for rent, he said the other CWO was not doing their job by saying no and handing me back my forms without written reasons for refusal and then tell me not to go to the housing authority. I sent a letter of complaint to the superintendent but obviously havent heard back and have not had my calls returned. If i somehow get approved by the housing authority I just know the cwo and superintendent will see my name and refuse me.

Sorry for the rant!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Johnny Bitte

Thanks for starting this thread OP.
    Will become a LL in a month or 2 and learned some valuable stuff here.
    Not all RA renters are bad news but they will be providing full deposit and months rent before the keys are handed over. Plus regular inspections.

Unfortunately you had to end up in this situation for me to learn from it.
    Hope it all works out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 CollegeProbs

Thanks for starting this thread OP.
    Will become a LL in a month or 2 and learned some valuable stuff here.
    Not all RA renters are bad news but they will be providing full deposit and months rent before the keys are handed over. Plus regular inspections.

Unfortunately you had to end up in this situation for me to learn from it.
    Hope it all works out.

just a question but doesnt ra get paid in arrears? so can the ll insist on getting it in advance if its not given to the tenant until a month later? and can a ll insist on regular inspections? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

it is the system that needs changing; we have been waiting since August last year now. Still in the pipeline
    And due to muppets like those in the OP's house, the time will just take longer.
    This LL broke the safety rules, period.
    This LL took someone in who was on hard times. THey took pity on them. They let the RA tenant in without a deposit. And now there's one less LL who'll take in RA tenants, and you have one more LL telling any other LL's not to take in RA tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

just a question but doesnt ra get paid in arrears? so can the ll insist on getting it in advance if its not given to the tenant until a month later? and can a ll insist on regular inspections? thanks

Generally the rent isn’t paid directly to the landlord (although I am trying to change this for mine). The rent is paid to the tenant a month in arrears, so there is no guarantee that the tenant will pay this on to the landlord. Also the SW don’t pay the full amount, there is a certain amount per week that is paid by the tenant. So your standard rental contract states ‘deposit plus one month in advance’. You just ask for that, even if the tenant is getting the money in arrears. How they can afford to effectively pay 2 months worth of rent at the start is not your problem, this is something I should have told myself at the time. You are not being heartless asking for it, you are just being sensible.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Blackjack wrote: »
    as taxpayers, we have a right to know how the money is being spent.
    If its being spent supporting scumbags who are wrecking someone else property, then we have a right to have that addressed.

If you can point out where I have suggested differently, do point that out.

Glad you got to see a humorous side, it would be a shame if you did not adopt the recommendation however.

I don't take advice from strangers with even stranger names. syco and blackjack..

No all you do is tar good folk with a black brush which is highly offensive
    and speaks worlds re you ..

Not up to you who gets what money either.. Dream on!

Blackjack wrote: »
    As for Relocating - if all of us who have issue moved, who do you think would pay the taxes?

Don;t kid yourself; thankfully you are in a small and loud minority.

• Advertisement

the_syco wrote: »
    And due to muppets like those in the OP's house, the time will just take longer.

This LL took someone in who was on hard times. THey took pity on them. They let the RA tenant in without a deposit. And now there's one less LL who'll take in RA tenants, and you have one more LL telling any other LL's not to take in RA tenants.

No to your first sentence; different areas is all. Cork is the second largest city and thus these things take longer by far. In other areas it was a matter of three weeks only.

And no to your last ..... Most think for themselves thankfully and know that those who try to get in breaking rules and without referecnes are what they are. People DO think you know.

The Op will surely never rent to a no-deposit payer. he made a mistake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

A deposit is no guarantee. Its just shortens the odds. Just like any filtering of tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Look deep into the abyss, and the abyss looks at you...

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭iluvcake

Hi there,

I'm just after coming off rent allowance and from my experience, it has to be collected from your local p.o., (with I.D.) and collected on a weekly basis, for that week. I never received it like this "The rent is paid to the tenant a month in arrears," , unless other people on rent allowance have.

Generally the rent isn’t paid directly to the landlord (although I am trying to change this for mine). The rent is paid to the tenant a month in arrears, so there is no guarantee that the tenant will pay this on to the landlord. Also the SW don’t pay the full amount, there is a certain amount per week that is paid by the tenant. So your standard rental contract states ‘deposit plus one month in advance’. You just ask for that, even if the tenant is getting the money in arrears. How they can afford to effectively pay 2 months worth of rent at the start is not your problem, this is something I should have told myself at the time. You are not being heartless asking for it, you are just being sensible.

thankfully you are in a small and loud minority.

Pot Kettle Black, i'm afraid.

I don't take advice from strangers with even stranger names. syco and blackjack..

and speaks worlds re you ..

Not up to you who gets what money either.. Dream on!

Yeah, yeah, whatever......

All you do is ignore the point of the thread and come on here with your own "woe is me" agenda.

Seriously, you could do worse than take some of the advise offered to you by people on here.

Advertisement