Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chael Sonnen Pleads Guilty To Federal Money Laundering Charge

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Diego Smartly

Jaysus Christ, he's some lad!
    An Oregon real estate agent has pleaded guilty to money laundering in connection with a mortgage fraud case involving Vancouver-based Lighthouse Financial Group, which also did business under the name Crown Point Financial Services.

Chael Sonnen, 33, of West Linn, Ore., entered the plea Monday in U.S. District Court in Portland. He will be sentenced March 28. The maximum sentence is 20 years in prison and a $500,000 fine.

According to a news release, Sonnen acted as the real estate agent in a transaction involving a home in Portland, and submitted a false letter and sales agreement instructing the title company to disburse $69,000 to a contractor for plumbing repairs. However, in a deal arranged by Lighthouse employees, $65,000 of the money was actually kicked back to the buyer.

Federal prosecutors allege that two Lighthouse employees, Joel Rosabal and Chadwick Amsden, submitted the false loan application to a now-defunct subprime lender.

http://www.columbian.com/news/2011/jan/03/real-estate-agent-pleads-guilty-to-money-launderin/
    Chael Sonnen, an ultimate fighting champion and one-time candidate for a seat in Congress, has pleaded to a federal money laundering charge.

A licensed Realtor from West Linn, Sonnen admitted before a judge Monday that he conducted a financial transaction designed to hide or disguise the ownership and control of proceeds of mortgage fraud, according to a U.S. Department of Justice press release.

The development is the latest during a rough stretch for Sonnen.

The UFC middleweight is suspended from fighting after reportedly testing positive for drugs in late 2010.

Sonnen had dropped out of the race for House District 37 last June citing a 2006 “legal issue” demanding his attention.

After he bowed out, the Republican party chose Julie Parrish, a political newcomer from West Linn, to replace Sonnen in the race against Democrat Will Rasmussen, a lawyer from West Linn. Parrish won election as House 37’s representative in November.

Marcus Williams, a special agent in charge of IRS criminal investigations for the Pacific Northwest, issued a public statement about Sonnen’s case.

“West Linn residents, and other residents throughout the Portland-Vancouver area, can rest assured knowing that federal law enforcement agencies take mortgage fraud very seriously because it played a major role in almost crippling this nation’s banking system just a few years ago,” he said.

Money laundering carries a sentence of up to 20 years in prison and a $500,000 fine.

Sonnen’s sentencing is scheduled for 11:30 a.m. March 28.

http://www.lakeoswegoreview.com/news/story.php?story_id=129410490911120000

I don't really know what the story is, but a federal offence is about as serious as it gets over there without killing someone so its very possible that he could serve time in prison; but you never know.

First he was minutes away from beating Silva. Gets pulled up for a banned substance. Talks his way out of real punishment. All the while committing federal crimes.

What next? And who'll play him in the film?

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Diego Smartly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

Dana must be thanking his lucky stars that Anderson got that triangle on him in the fifth!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭MarkFairman

A Federal Offence really just means it is Illegal in all 50 states. As opposed to state law which can be different in each of the 50 states. This would qualify as a class C Federal Offense. Federal Offenses always have hugh max jail terms but these is hardly ever given out. Only in extreme circumstances. (e.g Al Capone tax evasion)

He will more than likey get a fine and or probation considering its his 1st offence and the did plead guilty! Max i would stay a short jail sentence (white collar crime).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Shazbot

Chris89 wrote: »
    Do you lads watch MMA for the fights or so you can all have a gossip about the athletes private lives?! :confused:

When the "gossip" will undoubtedly effect his MMA career then it's worth the discussion don't you think? He's due to be sentenced shortly after his fight in March with Akiyama. It could prevent the fight from taking place.

He could do 20 years for this but according to MMAJunkie he's tried to make a deal where he gets a 2 year probation and agrees to give up his realtor's license and pay a $10,000 fine. Link

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Chris89

Shazbot wrote: »
    When the "gossip" will undoubtedly effect his MMA career then it's worth the discussion don't you think? He's due to be sentenced shortly after his fight in March with Akiyama. It could prevent the fight from taking place.

He could do 20 years for this but according to MMAJunkie he's tried to make a deal where he gets a 2 year probation and agrees to give up his realtor's license and pay a $10,000 fine. Link

He could do, but he definitely wont!

I was only joking about the gossip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭SanoVitae

The irony is that the word he used to describe Anderson Silva was "fraud"....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

This man is a walking I-Ron!

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭ScareGilly

Bullshit, he didn't suspend Leben after his DUI, or Falcao when he was arrested in Brazil. :confused:

And why was he going to fight Akiyama? Now Akiyama is fighting Marquardt, seems even though he was beaten by Bisping, he has more chance of a title shot before him. Bullshit I say :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭TheProdigy

ScareGilly wrote: »
    Bullshit, he didn't suspend Leben after his DUI, or Falcao when he was arrested in Brazil. :confused:

It is a federal offence, big difference.

Fans need to forget about their admiration for Chael Sonnen, he is an embarrassment to MMA and himself.

TheProdigy wrote: »
    It is a federal offence, big difference.

Fans need to forget about their admiration for Chael Sonnen, he is an embarrassment to MMA and himself.

What's a federal offence, I'm not in the know about the American justice system, and why is it such a big difference?

I'd much rather be known for trying to scam someone for $65,000 than I would be for DUI or assault..

What's a federal offence, I'm not in the know about the American justice system, and why is it such a big difference?

I'd much rather be known for trying to scam someone for $65,000 than I would be for DUI or assault..

AFAIK a federal offence is simply one which is illegal across all American States, rather than in particular states.

Also, I think Dana might've cut him a little slack (like Leben etc) if so much hadn't been happening to him in such quick succession! It'd probably do him good to take time off and sort his sh*t out.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    AFAIK a federal offence is simply one which is illegal across all American States, rather than in particular states.

Also, I think Dana might've cut him a little slack (like Leben etc) if so much hadn't been happening to him in such quick succession! It'd probably do him good to take time off and sort his sh*t out.

Well then I'm sure his argument about it being a big difference because it's a federal offense is irrelevant. Since I'm sure DUI and assault are illegal in all 50 States.

S'pose I have to agree with the last part, although it should have been up to Chael imo. It seems like the CSAC hearing didn't cause too much hassle, but this could take a while to finish..

The big difference is that a federal offence is embedded in the US constitution and has to be tried via a jury, misdemeanors as listed by yourself do not need a jury usually.

What you would rather is irrelevant, fraud is a far more serious charge in US customary and if an MMA organisation was seen to endorse it it could lead to damaging their image trying to legalise MMA in certain states, such as New York.

So to conclude Chael Sonnen is a fraud inside and outside the cage.

The big difference is that a federal offence is embedded in the US constitution and has to be tried via a jury, misdemeanors as listed by yourself do not need a jury usually.

What you would rather is irrelevant, fraud is a far more serious charge in US customary and if an MMA organisation was seen to endorse it it could lead to damaging their image trying to legalise MMA in certain states, such as New York.

So to conclude Chael Sonnen is a fraud inside and outside the cage.

As I've said, I didn't know the difference, my bad ;)
    I don't think it would damage their image at all, the only person it damages is Chael.

And he's a fraud inside the cage how? :rolleyes:

I don't think it would damage their image at all, the only person it damages is Chael.

And he's a fraud inside the cage how? :rolleyes:

Not only Chael but the UFC organisation could not employ somebody who was due to stand trial on fraud charges, it would be extremely detrimental to their image. Conspiracy and fraud are very serious charges in America.

Your love/admiration for Chael may have led to you uncovering evidence of a 6 month suspension, make of it what you will.

Not only Chael but the UFC organisation could not employ somebody who was due to stand trial on fraud charges, it would be extremely detrimental to their image. Conspiracy and fraud are very serious charges in America.

Your love/admiration for Chael may have led to you uncovering evidence of a 6 month suspension, make of it what you will.

I suppose I looked at fraud the way we seem to look at it rather than the Americans... Give 'em a promotion and a bonus :rolleyes:

A 6 month suspension for not filling in a form.. Not for being a fraud.

And the CSAC will never claim they're wrong, instead of removing the ban altogether which is what the only member of the panel at the hearing who knew anything about testosterone said they should've done they just reduced it. Surely they wouldn't reduce it if they made the right decision the first time?
    Another example would be Sherk's suspension, that wasn't lifted because the CSAC are too stuck up their own arses to admit they made a mistake. Probably one of the worst Commissions in America.

A 6 month suspension for not filling in a form.. Not for being a fraud.

And the CSAC will never claim they're wrong, instead of removing the ban altogether which is what the only member of the panel at the hearing who knew anything about testosterone said they should've done they just reduced it. Surely they wouldn't reduce it if they made the right decision the first time?
    Another example would be Sherk's suspension, that wasn't lifted because the CSAC are too stuck up their own arses to admit they made a mistake. Probably one of the worst Commissions in America.

Your basing your argument on fictitious opinions, the facts are that Chael was caught with an inordinate level of testosterone in his body.

Furthermore his illegitimate dealings outside the cage show he is a liar, and that should solidify that his word is useless. Maybe he should have thought twice about calling Lance Armstrong a cheat and Silva a fraud, because the shoe is most definitely on the other foot now. The only bigger embarrassment in competitive sport I can think of is Audley Harrison.

The guy has shown he is a cheat, a liar, downright dishonest and a theif.

How he never got into Congress i'll never know!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

And the CSAC will never claim they're wrong, instead of removing the ban altogether which is what the only member of the panel at the hearing who knew anything about testosterone said they should've done they just reduced it.

The only commissioner who knew anything about testosterone on that panel was Dr Lemon and he wanted the suspension to stand at 12 months. The guy who wanted it removed altogether just bought into Chael's story without any actual evidence of anything, and since then the Nevada commission and the UFC have said that Chael lied during that hearing

Your basing your argument on fictitious opinions, the facts are that Chael was caught with an inordinate level of testosterone in his body.

Furthermore his illegitimate dealings outside the cage show he is a liar, and that should solidify that his word is useless. Maybe he should have thought twice about calling Lance Armstrong a cheat and Silva a fraud, because the shoe is most definitely on the other foot now. The only bigger embarrassment in competitive sport I can think of is Audley Harrison.
    That wasn't what the suspension was for, the suspension was for not writing down he had it on a form.

Personally, I couldn't give a rat's ass about his private life. He's not a fraud in the cage. He's the only one who's even came close to beating Anderson Silva in the UFC.
    The guy has shown he is a cheat, a liar, downright dishonest and a theif.
    He's a liar, downright dishonest and a thief, but he's not a cheat, and there's no evidence to support that.
    Fozzy wrote: »
    The only commissioner who knew anything about testosterone on that panel was Dr Lemon and he wanted the suspension to stand at 12 months. The guy who wanted it removed altogether just bought into Chael's story without any actual evidence of anything, and since then the Nevada commission and the UFC have said that Chael lied during that hearing

Sorry, I seem to have mixed up the members of the commission. And have you any links for the last part? Would like to read that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

And have you any links for the last part? Would like to read that.

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news/285668/Sonnen-to-face-licensing-scrutiny-in-Nevada/

That was taken from the Wrestling Observer

Even if Chael had filled out all the correct forms, his T/E level was still over the limit. If a fighter is given a therapeutic use exemption, they still have to have a ratio of below 4:1. Sonnen tested at 16.9:1 so he would have failed the test anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

That's not what a federal offence is.
    Car theft is illegal in all states but not federal for example.

Prob not the best way to describe it, but a federal offence is one that is against the state. It must be federal for the FBI to have jurisdiction etc
    Like bank robbery (as the state bank insures the cash).

Serious stuff tbh

He's a liar, downright dishonest and a thief, but he's not a cheat, and there's no evidence to support that.

That's ok then :pac:

Advertisement