Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Perth new start

Options
  • 04-01-2011 5:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Hi,
    Myself and my Girlfriend are heading down to Perth in about two weeks.I have a few questions for anybody living there.
    Where is the best area to live ive heard of few places such as Freemantle Leederville,Doubleview,Balcatta,Northbridge are all decent areas.
    Are there any decent soccer clubs around im not looking for top flight but would love to start playing ball again.
    How do people find the place in General cause from what i hear its a love or hate the place mentality.

Cheers.
    M

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Hey,

Where are you moving to Perth from? Perth is a small city compared to Sydney or Melbourne and so probably doesn't have as much to see and do as those cities unless you're willing to make more effort. I've been in Perth for 2 and a half years and I love it. I went to Sydney for Xmas and had a great time but would never want to live there....nice place to visit though!
    As regards places to live Northbridge or the city would be the most central. Leederville, Subiaco and surrounding suburbs are pretty good too.
    For football check out http://www.shamrockrovers.com.au/component/option,com_frontpage/Itemid,1/
    There's plenty of Irish playing for them and its a good standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭maracas

aido79 wrote: »
    Hey,

Where are you moving to Perth from? Perth is a small city compared to Sydney or Melbourne and so probably doesn't have as much to see and do as those cities unless you're willing to make more effort. I've been in Perth for 2 and a half years and I love it. I went to Sydney for Xmas and had a great time but would never want to live there....nice place to visit though!
    As regards places to live Northbridge or the city would be the most central. Leederville, Subiaco and surrounding suburbs are pretty good too.
    For football check out http://www.shamrockrovers.com.au/component/option,com_frontpage/Itemid,1/
    There's plenty of Irish playing for them and its a good standard.

Yeah im coming from Three months in Sydney and although i really enjoyed the place im in need of a change of scenery.
    I do love a night and a beer as much as the next guy but im not a full blown party animal either.
    How do you find the price of things compare to what you have been spending in Sydney over the Xmas.
    Also been looking at Melbourne which seems great aswell.
    Did you find it easy to fit in when you first arrived to P"erth?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

maracas wrote: »
    Hi,
    Myself and my Girlfriend are heading down to Perth in about two weeks.I have a few questions for anybody living there.
    Where is the best area to live ive heard of few places such as Freemantle Leederville,Doubleview,Balcatta,Northbridge are all decent areas.
    Are there any decent soccer clubs around im not looking for top flight but would love to start playing ball again.
    How do people find the place in General cause from what i hear its a love or hate the place mentality.

Cheers.
    M

I wouldn't call Balcatta or Northbridge decent areas to live in tbh. Balcatta is pretty far away from the city in terms of easy access while Northbridge is really only for backpackers and gets very annoying after a while.

Best off looking for a suburb either along the Mitchell or Kwinana freeways as you will be beside the train line which is super.

In terms of playing football, I play in the amateur league so if you get settled in a particular area I will be able to tell you your local club. Preseason for most starts this month.

As for love/hate, I think Perth is fantastic and have spoken to very few people who actually hate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭laoisforliam

Hey xavi I'm living in Adelaide terrace east perth was looking to play some soccer myself something similar to junior level at home , just wondering if you could point me in the direction of a team? Be much appreciated !!

Have you got public transport? If you do then there's plenty of clubs close by.

Both North Perth and South Perth have amateur teams as well as social setups. You'd probably be about ten to fifteen minutes drive from them, one is obviously just north of the Swan River and the other just south.

Subiaco are close by and their amateur team are in my division (Amateur Premier League). They would be one of the wealthiest Sunday clubs in Perth and have a very good structure. Again it's within driving distance just past west Perth.

• Advertisement

Thanks , I have a car so I should be ok.. Il have a look at the clubs and get fixed up with one of them hopefully.., What side do you play for yourself?

I'm with Joondalup United which is located about 25kms north of the city. The area is known as 'Little Britain' given the makeup of the population there. Great spot though.

Yeah i know the area been up there a few times , thanks anyway i got in touch with subiaco and im starting pre season next tuesday cheers

Advertisement