Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Significant Snow Risk Friday 7th/Saturday 8th January discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 DanRu

No , 12-15 miles inland. Its very light but its starting to pick up now. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Temp: -0.1 DP:-1.8, any minute now....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

The band seem's to be weakening each radar update.

Looks like the main action is going to be later today, when the heavier pulse/band arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Quiet you

I missed this thread. Two weeks is too long. Yaay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭fizzycyst

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    Temp: -0.1 DP:-1.8, any minute now....
    I've been saying that for an hour:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭GavinH

Still waiting here too. Temp at 1.3c. Radar has it over me, but nothing falling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

John.Icy wrote: »
    The band seem's to be weakening each radar update.

Looks like the main action is going to be later today, when the heavier pulse/band arrives.
    John.Icy whats to say the next band wont break up as well?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Ali Babba

GavinH wrote: »
    Still waiting here too. Temp at 1.3c. Radar has it over me, but nothing falling.

It did the same thing the last time over Cork......:( I hate this, I really do, all this potential and nothing.......:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

delw wrote: »
    John.Icy whats to say the next band wont break up as well?:confused:

I'd doubt it, the first pulse of precip was alaways going to be the starter to our main course which should arrive later. :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Dublin radar is dodgy for the SE corner, WX and WD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Fcuk this for a game of soldiers, I've to be up for 6.30 :D

Looks like it's waiting 15 km off the Waterford coast - but not a flake here in the city... imagine, I could drive to it if there was a road out there!

Makes me think of what a surprise snow must have been whenever it came a millennium ago. I mean we have our GFS, our Hirlam, our Jean Byrne and our MT, and we know (or have some idea anyway) that something's on the way.

However if I was living in Viking Waterford, in my little daub-and-wattle house on Olaf St with the pigs inside, and I lay down on my straw bed tonight, even the bit of cold and frost tonight would be no indication whatsoever that I'd wake up to a white scene outside.

I wonder which would have been more exciting... sitting at a computer keyboard because you can't sleep, watching the lamp-post outside, or waking up to such a complete and utter surprise!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭fizzycyst

Danno wrote: »
    Dublin radar is dodgy for the SE corner, WX and WD.
    would that be the reason raintoday shows precip in Waterford with not a flake/drop to be seen?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Going by the Met.ie radar i hope the yellow band of precipitation will actually bring us something here, as raintoday seems to be way off. Temp now +1.7c DP-1.1c.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭aurora 527

Going by the Met.ie radar i hope the yellow band of precipitation will actually bring us something here, as raintoday seems to be way off. Temp now +1.7c DP-1.1c.

oh no dew point going up:mad: -0.8

http://i50.tinypic.com/288mnbn.png - amazing similarities

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

So similar Danno, could it be the same results??? Well spotted champ ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

:eek: really getting hopes up now danno :D

At last snowing here now.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mothel

I remember that! Truely is amazingly similar!Only we don't have the wind forecast this time? Dateswise too! an yes, I have not gone to bed yet!!

• Advertisement

GavinH wrote: »
    At last snowing here now.

Where in Cork are you Gavin?

Where in Cork are you Gavin?

Between Ballincollig and Macroom

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Nothing here yet (Cork City northside)

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭smodgley

nothing just south of new ross

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mothel

I know it's a long way away, but stars have disappeared in D24 and temp gone from -6 to -4!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

What time is the front meant to have passed over by? Trying to figure out if I can manage to sleep through all the cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

|Yes an amazing to the day similarity in synoptic!

Big difference obviously being the difference in cold to our east over Uk and Europe

One lesson learned from tonight is that the radars cant be trusted when it comes to snow. Should have had something here in the last few hours but nothing so far. Worrying signs here with the Temp at 2c and DP at -0.5c :eek:

Looks like everyone is gone to bed but just for the record still nothing in Waterford, Temp 2.0c DP -0.5c

Temps from www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 Flan_Da_Man125

nice snow falling here now but im guessing it wont last :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement