Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Significant Snow Risk Friday 7th/Saturday 8th January discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Mick, if you look at the Will it Rain Today radar it shows the precip mass pulling apart and leaving Waterford city area clear. Has someone there got a leaf blower blowing the clouds out of the way? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Mike65?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Can anyone confirm whether there's precip falling in either South Carlow..or is the radar up to it's tricks :D

Probally the latter. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Started snowing very lightly here now. It's not sticking yet. Cork city - Dillons Cross

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Valentia, -7c dew point at 2am with +2c air temps! :o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

John.Icy wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm whether there's precip falling in either South Carlow or South Wicklow..or is the radar up to it's tricks :D

Probally the latter. :D

I'm guessing thats a false reading John as radars have been showing snow for Waterford for the last few hours but we have had nothing.

I'm guessing thats a false reading John as radars have been showing snow for Waterford for the last few hours but we have had nothing.

Indeed, also noticing the Waterford shield is on overtime too :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

John.Icy wrote: »
    Indeed, also noticing the Waterford shield is on overtime too :D

All the more for Dublin so! :D:D:D :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Flan_Da_Man125

snow becoming more moderate now. very breezy aswell giving a kinda blizzardy effect :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Gave it our best shot here but unfortunately nothing to report. Hope you all get a nice pasting up the country. Night all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,516 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Worth noting that in general terms, two-thirds of the snow potential is from noon to midnight. A leading wave has formed between Wexford and Cornwall, but most of the moisture from that will not move north so much as northeast. A second and potentially more productive band of moisture will start pushing into the south during the late morning and mid-day period and this is when I expect heavier snow to develop in the inland southeast. For Dublin and Meath, snowfall is only likely to become heavy (where it falls at all) by mid-afternoon into the evening hours.

Forecast update at 0630, I am now off to study the model runs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Magnum

Nothing here in Tipp Town... Just frost...

Keep us updated Flan Da Man :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭darkmaster2

Snowing very lightly here, nowhere near as much as the radar would suggest though. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Flan_Da_Man125

2 cm of lying snow reported at cork airport.
    3 cm in watergrasshill area of cork.
    snow changing to sleet every so often. currently snowing with about 1cm of snow lying.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Latest NAO forecast for midnight tonight..

Shows potential for upto 15cm of snow in parts by midnight.

From now until 4-5pm, expect light stuff.

Heavier ppn to arrive from 5pm as forecast yesterday.

11010800_0700.gif

Latest NAO forecast for midnight tonight..

Shows potential for upto 15cm of snow in parts by midnight.

From now until 4-5pm, expect light stuff.

Heavier ppn to arrive from 5pm as forecast ]

Looking good for Tipp so .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

Worth noting that in general terms, two-thirds of the snow potential is from noon to midnight. A leading wave has formed between Wexford and Cornwall, but most of the moisture from that will not move north so much as northeast. A second and potentially more productive band of moisture will start pushing into the south during the late morning and mid-day period and this is when I expect heavier snow to develop in the inland southeast. For Dublin and Meath, snowfall is only likely to become heavy (where it falls at all) by mid-afternoon into the evening hours. Forecast update at 0630, I am now off to study the model runs etc.

Mental note to NOT be on the M50 tomorrow evening.....:D

NAE not good for me, hopefully its out by a few miles :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭danni2

Fantastic NAO there Weathercheck! I would get a lovely fall of snow if that comes off:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭smodgley

started snowing here just now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

It hasn't snowed yet in Galway city. Will it over the coming days?

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Timistry

Non-event soooooo far judging by the direction of the precip. until tomorrow, good nite/morning!

Just starting to snow in TippTown now, very small flakes......

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Ahorseofaman

no snow and bone dry here.-0.6 temp -4 dp at my nearest station(charleville nra)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

no snow and bone dry here.-0.6 temp -4 dp at my nearest station(charleville nra)

Bone dry here in waterford too all night wheres all this sleet/snow that was expected :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

No snow in Limerick either

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Vudgie

Met appear to be downgrading slightly for the east at least with more focus on rain. They still mention snow so I suppose they will be right either way. From the radar did a large chunk of precipitation miss us altogether over night and head for England?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

Vudgie wrote: »
    Met appear to be downgrading slightly for the east at least with more focus on rain. They still mention snow so I suppose they will be right either way. From the radar did a large chunk of precipitation miss us altogether over night and head for England?

Ye it certainly looks like it did its over wales now , not even a drop of rain outside here , i did not expect that last night at 11.30 with that big one heading our way , i suppose thats it now for any chance of snow in south east .:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

DOCARCH wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGEqWzw8A9g

You see the penguins at the back? That's you...that is. See the little penguin at the front...that's us! :D

Ok ok !!! V funny clip, eh 06:50 in Dublin 14, looks like there was zero precipitation overnight, sky is clear, Will get back in my box now :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement