Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Significant Snow Risk Friday 7th/Saturday 8th January discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭steveLFC24

Just incase you're all interested its snowing here in Liverpool, coming down thick and fast, and sticking. Not sure if its going to last too long but yesterday this was forecast to fall as rain. Temperature 1 degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭channaigh

steveLFC24 wrote: »
    Just incase you're all interested its snowing here in Liverpool, coming down thick and fast, and sticking. Not sure if its going to last too long but yesterday this was forecast to fall as rain. Temperature 1 degrees.

You give us hope :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

AloKildare wrote: »
    Same here in kildare +2 degrees and rising all the time! Quickly turning into a non event, not a hope of even wet snow by this evening!!

It was always going to warm-up in the south and east for a time, before it gets colder again tonight.

People, calm down, unless there is a drastic change in the 6z, were are looking at the same picture as last night

channaigh wrote: »
    You give us hope :D

Well according to rain today this is down for a good couple of hours. It was forecast as rain/sleet, as being right on the coast this is not a great place for snow. Dispite being so close generally Wales gets pasted and Liverpool gets a dusting or rain :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

Same here in kildare +2 degrees and rising all the time! Quickly turning into a non event, not a hope of even wet snow by this evening!!

the snow enthusiasts will make you believe different by lunch time :D

• Advertisement

I believe the winds set to change this afternoon to north easterly bringing the temperature back down.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭AloKildare

John.Icy wrote: »
    It was always going to warm-up in the south and east for a time, before it gets colder again tonight.

People, calm down, unless there is a drastic change in the 6z, were are looking at the same picture as last night

The change has already taken place, the 6z will only confirm it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Doesnt look like MT or Met eireann are expecting any accumlations here tomorrow by the looks of things just showers.

the snow enthusiasts will make you believe different by lunch time :D

No doubt they will :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Just stopped snowing in Leicester. Was coming down heavy with massive bird-feather snow flakes. Eased off now and doesn't seem to have stuck too much on the roads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

Yeah, will be very marginal. Further south in England the temperatures ore up to + 7 in places already so :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

hardCopy wrote: »
    Just stopped snowing in Leicester. Was coming down heavy with massive bird-feather snow flakes. Eased off now and doesn't seem to have stuck too much on the roads.

Still going here, theres a couple of cm's down so far. I'm not near any main roads myself but its pretty wet snow so I would imagine its the same here.

its all gone very quiet on here, must be all watching the charts, hopeing, praying for even a glimpse of the white stuff. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Aquals

How disappointing - not a flake of snow here in Dublin! The ground doesn't even look frosty!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Aquals wrote: »
    How disappointing - not a flake of snow here in Dublin! The ground doesn't even look frosty!

If it's any consolation I encountered black ice last night about 23:00 down near the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Is it not too warm for snow in Dublin?

Is it not too warm for snow in Dublin?
    if the dewpoint stays sub zero ,ideally -1c or below in these conditions,then it's not too warm for snow.
    Dublin airports dewpoint updated half hourly is available here

It has height and a bit inland.
    dp currently -1c so entering the marginal territory.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

John.Icy wrote: »

6Z DPs

11010712_0706.gif

11010715_0706.gif

11010718_0706.gif

11010721_0706.gif

11010800_0706.gif

TBH looks to be a non runner for the East and South East and the midlands does not even look great now, Hill snow only I think folks,

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kopfan77

Gutted....about 10 flakes fell at 8.30am and bone dry since

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

It is time for a bit of patience, it will come in it's own time, have to travel over the hills to help a friend this morning so the snow can wait till the afternoon....

Just frosty and perfect conditions for snow around here, still freezing hard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

TBH looks to be a non runner for the East and South East and the midlands does not even look great now, Hill snow only I think folks,

It does look like it will be silent on the hills as the water falls below them.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭channaigh

I'm so disappointed from going to get blasted to nothing

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Welcome to the wonderful world of weather watching !

Where you very rarely see upgrades but you can be sure of seeing a downgrade !

you should'nt believe all the hype, then when it arrives, you'll be pleasantly surprised. but it doesnt look like you'll be surprised today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TURRICAN

its going to rain and even if it does snow its not going to last as the cloud cover will increase temps and thus fall as rain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

TURRICAN wrote: »
    its going to rain and even if it does snow its not going to last as the cloud cover will increase temps and thus fall as rain.

We already have full cloud cover here, it's 2 degrees and not getting any warmer, DP is -3.5, hopefully a change in wind can bring these down further.

6Z DPs

11010712_0706.gif

11010715_0706.gif

11010718_0706.gif

11010721_0706.gif

11010800_0706.gif

Thought as much, temperatures were rising way too fast here this morning to suggest snow this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Get a grip lads, it was always said the main precip wasn't going to hit till later this afternoon and evening! (well since yesterday anyway!)

And it was always indicated it would like fall as rain near coasts!

This evening looks like a slot of heavy precip will push up the country falling as mainly rain or sleet at first but readily turning to snow.

Accumulations are likely on a stretch from say Balbriggan - Naas - Kilkenny - Clonmel - Mallow westwards for say 50 miles.

Accumulations here by midnight of 5-15cm.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

- Naas -

Always liked you ! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

As Weathercheck said, I'm also still confident of some snowfall for the Midlands and parts of Dublin

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement