Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Significant Snow Risk Friday 7th/Saturday 8th January discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Get a grip lads, it was always said the main precip wasn't going to hit till later this afternoon and evening! (well since yesterday anyway!)

And it was always indicated it would like fall as rain near coasts!

This evening looks like a slot of heavy precip will push up the country falling as mainly rain or sleet at first but readily turning to snow.

Accumulations are likely on a stretch from say Balbriggan - Naas - Kilkenny - Clonmel - Mallow westwards for say 50 miles.

Accumulations here by midnight of 5-15cm.

I will bow to your greater knowledge here but the DP's or uppers make this look even more marginal, although the heavier precip may cause evaporative cooling .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

My thoughts for this evening:

(For areas below 150m)

snowrisk.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Frankly I'd be surprised if the midlands gets anything judging by things at moment. Going to stick out neck and call fail on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joe316

t|nt|n wrote: »
    Always liked you ! :pac:

and Clane only a few miles upwards of you!!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Cant see how any snow will fall, look at the temps in the south and east, some places upto 6c around Dublin allready.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭AloKildare

Frankly I'd be surprised if the midlands gets anything judging by things at moment. Going to stick out neck and call fail on this one.

I would have to agree with you, its a big FAIL for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

joe316 wrote: »
    and Clane only a few miles upwards of you!!! :(

Clane can go take a running jump !! :p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Our neighbours in the UK are getting hammered again with snow, All that falling in the Midlands is snow. The band heading into the southwest now is rain according to the BBC.

I thought we would have learnt by now, anything comming from the South west off the Atlantic will never produce snow. Its just too warm.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I would say south Tipp along that line is more of a low risk area than anything. Medium risk-high risk to the midlands areas northwards

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

My thoughts for this evening:

(For areas below 150m)

snowrisk.gif

11010800_0706.gif

I doubt it will be rain even on East coasts early tonight. No onshore wind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joe316

t|nt|n wrote: »
    Clane can go take a running jump !! :p:p

Oh its on!!

Met ya in Sallins for the scrap!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TURRICAN

We already have full cloud cover here, it's 2 degrees and not getting any warmer, DP is -3.5, hopefully a change in wind can bring these down further.

its cloudy down here in new ross all morning to with a moderate n ne wind.
    have nothing to read the temperate with so...it feels like maybe 2 or 3 degrees definatly not freezing.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭oterra

Issued at 07 January 2011 - 10:30
    Severe Weather Alert
    Weather warning issued at 10:30 7 Jan 2011

Outbreaks of rain, sleet and snow will spread from the south during the day. Snow accumulations of up to 2-5 cm are expected in midland areas and in parts of Munster and Leinster and later today in east Ulster, with higher values likely on hills.

Heavy rain is likely along southern and eastern coasts.

Valid till: 06:00 08-Jan-11

Small Craft Warning

Northeasterly winds will reach force 6 or higher overnight/Friday morning on coasts from Carnsore Point to Mizen Head to Loop Head..
    Issued at 06:00 on 07-Jan-2011

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭AloKildare

darkman2 wrote: »
    11010800_0706.gif

I doubt it will be rain even on East coasts early tonight. No onshore wind.

Surely the temperatures rising throughout the day, prior to the precipitation arriving, should see it fall as rain??

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

I assume the snow forecast for later is based on that bad boy just coming into view to the south of Ireland on the radar?
    http://met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp?ani=y

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Up to 4.0c here now but DP -1.4c

Raining in arklow at present
    dewpoint is +1.7c

For Dublin people dewpoints are also now above zero nearly everywhere.
    You really do need that wind to come from the north and not off the sea with the precip later or else it will definitely be rain unless you live above johnny foxes pub

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

PauloMN wrote: »
    I assume the snow forecast for later is based on that bad boy just coming into view to the south of Ireland on the radar?
    http://met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp?ani=y

Was just about to ask the same thing. Is that rain or what moving in? Looks like it will be hitting Cork about 11:30/11:45

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

No Rain/ Sleet or Snow here in Waterford City last night even though the radar had us getting pounded. Definitely will rain later as temps are 3.7c DP 1.9c. Looks like it could be a lot of rain too.

Streaming rain cam and live Temp watch @ www.waterfordcityweather.com

just wondering if and when this systems pushes closer to the east will the wind direction come from a more north easterly direction thus cooling the temps and dps

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

oterra wrote: »
    just wondering if and when this systems pushes closer to the east will the wind direction come from a more north easterly direction thus cooling the temps and dps

That's the theory and hopefully. By midnight winds should be from north or even west of north so anything left should turn to full snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭aurora 527

DOCARCH wrote: »
    That's the theory and hopefully. By midnight winds should be from north or even west of north so anything left should turn to full snow.

Just answered my question. thanks.

No Rain/ Sleet or Snow here in Waterford City last night even though the radar had us getting pounded. Definitely will rain later as temps are 3.7c DP 1.9c. Looks like it could be a lot of rain too.

Streaming rain cam and live Temp watch @ www.waterfordcityweather.com

Wait til you see Mick.. when the radar has RAIN right over us, it will bucket down!!!:(

Anyone now where I can can dps for dublin now that M2 is still missing in action

oterra wrote: »
    Anyone now where I can can dps for dublin now that M2 is still missing in action
    http://www.irelandsweather.com/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

aurora 527 wrote: »
    Wait til you see Mick.. when the radar has RAIN right over us, it will bucket down!!!:(

I will never trust the radar again after last night. I know it cost be about 3 hours sleep watching it and getting nothing :mad:

I will never trust the radar again after last night. I know it cost be about 3 hours sleep watching it and getting nothing :mad:

I know what you mean, same here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,680 ✭✭✭Speak Now

You were right on the edge Mick, it snowed out this way (carbally).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

you wasted 3 hours watching a radar for a bit of snow, your mad ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

I doubt this will amount to anything. 3.1c Kilkenny.

2.7 in the city, but DP is a very healthy -3.9

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement