Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Significant Snow Risk Friday 7th/Saturday 8th January discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

You were right on the edge Mick, it snowed out this way (carbally).

Least you got something out there Jerry. You are that bit higher than town though. Is it still there now or has it melted???

• Registered Users Posts: 14,416 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

temp at my house outside donegal town dipped to -4.3 last night

still -3.7 at the moment

http://www.edcoconsulting.com/weather/current.html

http://www.edcoconsulting.com/weather/start.html

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

The radar is showing the rain/snow just south of cork city and along the south coast at the moment.

Anybody under the 'BLOB' care the comment on what is falling?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭roryc1

Taken from AH

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

2.7 in the city, but DP is a very healthy -3.9

Amazing DP there considering here in Waterford City the DP now is +2.5c. The sea breeze is killing it for us i guess.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Brightening up here with a pale winter sun through the high cloud and some clear blue patches developing.

Wind gone calm and temp up to +3C.

So the forecasts were wrong - we got neither rain nor hail nor sleet nor snow. Nada. Nuffin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Amazing DP there considering here in Waterford City the DP now is +2.5c. The sea breeze is killing it for us i guess.

Humidity is only 65% so i suppose thats whats doing it . .although it'll shoot up when the precip arrives . .:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

I will never trust the radar again after last night. I know it cost be about 3 hours sleep watching it and getting nothing :mad:

Me too. Wife not happy!

Wild Bill wrote: »
    Brightening up here with a pale winter sun through the high cloud and some clear blue patches developing.

Wind gone calm and temp up to +3C.

So the forecasts were wrong - we got neither rain nor hail nor sleet nor snow. Nada. Nuffin.

The forecasts weren't giving anything for your area until much later anyway . . .:confused:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Forecast on BBC looks feckin great now. Some midlands areas are forecasted with up to 9 hours of snow!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/10209

• Advertisement

Forecast on BBC looks feckin great now. Some midlands areas are forecasted with up to 9 hours of snow!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/10209

That forecast gives valentia snow and kilkenny rain, so it does seem a bit weird . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭The Little Fella

The people's republic of cork are in mourning following Roy Keane's sacking so don't expect any weather reports here from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 razzorg

Long time lurker, 1st time poster!

It's currently 2C with DP of 1C and light rain/mist here at the airport!

12.28GMT

The people's republic of cork are in mourning following Roy Keane's sacking so don't expect any weather reports here from them.

I'll pull myself together long enough to tell ye its started to rain lightly in the city centre. Its bloody cold though - no warming attached to the front. According to met.ie the airport was 2c at noon with a DP of only 1. Could this evaporative cooling being talked of save us yet?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Midas Touch

It is raining in cork:-(. Dark, dreary and wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Ogie84

Spindle wrote: »
    The radar is showing the rain/snow just south of cork city and along the south coast at the moment.

Anybody under the 'BLOB' care the comment on what is falling?
    Drizzle. Very cloudy. Not much to write home about.

Me too. Wife not happy!

Some of us chicks end up in the dog house to... :( LOL;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

razzorg wrote: »
    Long time lurker, 1st time poster!

It's currently 2C with DP of 1C and light rain/mist here at the airport!

12.28GMT

Welcome to the maddness .:)

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

Plenty of rain here in Cork :) now where did I put that umbrella....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,584 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Waterford coast - very grey and gloomy but nothing falling.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Dark and cloudy in Cork with rain - lovely weather. At least it won't take me 4 hours to get back to Limerick this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Bumble32

Heavy rain here in Carrigaline, 15 mins from Cork City centre but christ its cold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Figuramatyi

Ladies and gentleman, please place your bets for any snow event in Galway city tonight. I give it a 30% chance at this stage for snow falling, and 5% for any kind of thin cover on the ground.
    Odds?
    This looks heartbreaking for us:
    Rtavn184.png

So little, so close!

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭channaigh

Got very dark here up in the hills of kk will it be snow or rain really cold

channaigh wrote: »

It'll be snow there I'd say. Its still v cold here in Cork. There is no warming associated with this front.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭mvron

channaigh wrote: »

Funnily enough same thing has just happened here - have had to put the reading light on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Very gusty here now, due to that marine layer is making a lot of headway inland.

Temp: 4.1c
    D.P: 2.9

Ah well, there's always next winter!:mad:;)

EDIT: Anybody close to the blackstairs on here, want to see if theres snow up there but its too cloudy here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,680 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Least you got something out there Jerry. You are that bit higher than town though. Is it still there now or has it melted???

At Work but i'd imagine its long gone as temp was already 1c at 7a.m when i left.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Vudgie

In fairness that is a pretty impressive system (on the radar) hitting the south coast now but it obviously isn't cold enough down there. It is hard disagree that this system will provide some snow given that it should be hitting the midlands etc at just about the right time in terms of temps and dp's.

The first band that moved in broke up alomost immediately but that doesn't appear to be the case this time. It did appear to me that it moved off to Wales earlier than expected this morning though.

Have winds changed at all to bring it futher north/north east?

It is pretty dark in Dublin 2 at present though that cloud cover may prevent significant snow I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

It's very cold here but dry, I'd say the rain is not far away.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement