Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Significant Snow Risk Friday 7th/Saturday 8th January discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭snowbabe

Very dark in greystones,very cloudy too.also,warm,think it will be rain in these parts later,now i have my yaktracks:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,682 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Web_radar.gif

No danger of it breaking up on the south coast when it's rain of course :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,516 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

With temperatures and dew points where they currently sit across the inland south and southeast, and winds backing to NNE, I think this band of moisture will produce snow, almost definitely on the higher ground above 150m, and possibly lower than that, having looked at some elevations on google earth I realize that most people are right around 100m in the inland southeast, but my feeling is that rain will only affect the coast and parts of Dublin.

The fact that the precip may not arrive until almost darkness helps slightly too, but if Cork is only between 1 and 2 degrees, and Waterford saturates at about 1.5 to 2, then really the odds favour snow inland. And it could get quite heavy if it starts falling, because this band seems to be holding together as the low heads for Cornwall.

This was always going to be a tricky situation, but I am still hopeful that snow will result in much of the country -- Galway could see a slight dusting too, but I wouldn't count on snow that far north and west (tomorrow maybe, by the way models show some heavy snow showers around Donegal Bay tomorrow morning).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

channaigh wrote: »
    Got very dark here up in the hills of kk will it be snow or rain really cold
    Same here, 1.1c atm, highest temp today was 1.2c with a low of -5.1c. -0.5dp and 982.8hPa.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kopfan77

Web_radar.gif

No danger of it breaking up on the south coast when it's rain of course :rolleyes:

Please be snow, please be snow, please be snow :D

• Advertisement

:D Fair play M.T burning the midnight oil again or up very early...5 a.m??

Sky a gunmetal grey here in Lucan, bloody cold, would skin a goat.

:D Fair play M.T burning the midnight oil again or up very early...5 a.m??

Hes some man, for one man. Thanks MT.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Raining in Waterford City, Temp 4.3c DP 3.3c

Live Rain Cam here www.waterfordcityweather.com ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭largepants

Raining quite heavily here. I'm around 300ft above sea level.

• Advertisement

This front will angle to give a northerly flow tonight so those up the country with negative dew points have a great chance of seeing snow from it. Temp will drop agonisingly close down here in waterford just to tease us :p, should see a heavy fall on the mountains.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭snowbabe

He's just the best,doesn't even matter what he wears :D:D

right on coast here,will be interesting to see if temps drop by nightfall.Won't give up yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Dark sky here in Dublin, 4.8C and DP is -1C and rising!:(

Dan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭irishdub14

If I cant watch snow falling here, atleast I can watch it in New York! :)

http://www.earthcam.com/usa/newyork/timessquare/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TURRICAN

light mist here now.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭county man

Had some snow here early this morning but has turned to steady rain now.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Juppie

It's gone very dark in Trim, Co Meath.

Current temp is 1.7 and dp is -2. Hoping and praying!

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭aurora 527

RAIN RAIN and plenty of it...

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Much snow expected tonight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    Very gusty here now, due to that marine layer is making a lot of headway inland.

Temp: 4.1c
    D.P: 2.9

Ah well, there's always next winter!:mad:;)

EDIT: Anybody close to the blackstairs on here, want to see if theres snow up there but its too cloudy here.

Theres a some at the top of mt.leinster, but not any way low down, from the kk side, but there would have been much more on the other side to start with so i presume it hasnt all thawed there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Temperature
    3.3°C

Humidity
    68%

Dewpoint
    -2.0°C

DP going down in Naas as the temp rises, not complaining !

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fr wishy washy

Gone completely grey here in Blessington a real change from sun and blue sky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

DP up to -0.1 from -3.9 earlier, temp static at 3.4. No snow here i'd say . . the only thing is, if it falls it might stick as the ground is well frozen.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭The Little Fella

It doesn't look good.:(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

2 degrees in Athlone, -2 DP. Temps haven't rose since 10am

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Very grey in Dublin 1, looks like rain. Accuweather says it's currently 4 degrees.

Looks like a washout is coming rather than a whiteout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Figuramatyi

The band is moving up north pretty fast, already halfway between Cork and Limerick. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

in south tipp , 1 degree , feels much much colder outside.... wind has picked up quiet a bit in the past half hour...

what can we expect i wonder :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭channaigh

NIALL D wrote: »
    in south tipp , 1 degree , feels much much colder outside.... wind has picked up quiet a bit in the past half hour...

what can we expect i wonder :confused:

Snow now and more snow

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

2 degree's here in Kilkenny. Band of cloud sitting there getting thicker but nothing in the way of snow yet.

Am I hearing things right or did MTC forecast that Kilkenny would have snow today?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement