Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Significant Snow Risk Friday 7th/Saturday 8th January discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

when are the winds to change Northerly ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

channaigh wrote: »
    Hasn'treached me yet probable won't make it over the hill to me

The temperature continues to fall, you should get some.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

sticking in Dundalk snowing this hour and the ground was very wet to start with

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    Wexford takes the biscuit for funny place names. In the south of the county there is Bastardstown and Horeswood. There is also a shop in the town called 'Hores Stores'!:D
    You're right there Beasterly - I once lived in a place called Moneyhore. I never found out if it is pronounced 'moaney' or 'money'.
    Definitely scope for a good thread on this topic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

My own theory is this - forget the models; God is punishing Dublin/Wickla for getting too much snow since 2008.

That is the only rational explanation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Blogger50

Was raining for about two hours here. When I did the old "lampost check" it was still raining with the odd massive snowflake in between! :)

Finally starting "full time snowing" and about 90 minutes later its still going :D

Nice covering too considering the rain we had beforehand!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

It's been lashing rain in Lucan for most of the evening....with the odd break to drizzle. Still keeping an eye on my lamp though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭thomasj

Wild Bill wrote: »
    Good Lord what are you doing here then? :eek:

Precipitation (sleety) has restarted here - we had a band of moderate rain/sleet earlier. Temp is +3C so I don't see this sleety rain turning to anything other than maybe rainy sleet. :(

Do you have to be a lover of snow tto be on here?

Like I said, it would be nice to get some snowfall, even better if it stuck but for those people who this weather causes problems for, it's not such a bad thing if it didn't happen!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

It's been lashing rain in Lucan for most of the evening....with the odd break to drizzle. Still keeping an eye on my lamp though.

same in Leixlip, walked the dog and got soaked. Its very very cold though, may change to snow yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

rain since before 4 - that all we gonna get ? temp bit on the high side 4.9 :eek::eek::eek: was expecting mega frost

• Advertisement

My lamp has been teasing me all evening with mighty blobs of sleet. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Its lashing rain in Dublin tonight but according to yall there is a chance it may fall as snow in the midlands/north. I have to drive to mountnugent tomorrow morning and I was wondering is there anyone in the cavan region who could tell me if this rain in Dublin is falling as snow there?

Lough Sheelin froze overnight yesterday.

df1985 wrote: »
    same in Leixlip, walked the dog and got soaked. Its very very cold though, may change to snow yet.

Rathangan is getting it, so hopefully it's just a little stretch to get it a bit further!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭TFK

I'm just down the road from you and that's pretty much the scenario here too.

Wild Bill wrote: »
    My lamp has been teasing me all evening with mighty blobs of sleet. :(

At least we have the truth! Think of those who are less fortunate like those whose lamp is broken. Some poster said earlier that theirs stopped working and I downed tools for a minute in solidarity. I feel for them :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭darkmaster2

Still snowing here since 16:40, 7 miles away in Mallow only has sleet/rain I believe. Amazing the difference a small bit of height can make.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Juppie

Grimes wrote: »
    Its lashing rain in Dublin tonight but according to yall there is a chance it may fall as snow in the midlands/north. I have to drive to mountnugent tomorrow morning and I was wondering is there anyone in the cavan region who could tell me if this rain in Dublin is falling as snow there?

Lough Sheelin froze overnight yesterday.

I think Cavan is having similar to what we have in Meath at the moment which is a bit of a dusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

What do you expect from the South?? Sleet and wet snow that will last a few hours. The decent stuff that stays a couple of weeks like we get in the East and North of the country always comes from Siberia or the Artic. :D:D:D:D

Grimes wrote: »
    is there anyone in the cavan region who could tell me if this rain in Dublin is falling as snow there?

Or, to put it another way, is it snowing in Cavan?:D

We don't know 'cos nobody from Cavan has ever been known to post here. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭giggsirish

Lashing hear past 2 hours. Now tems dropping. Just 1oC now. Roads will be beyond lethal!

No flakes on show as yet or sleet for that matter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

giggsirish wrote: »
    Lashing hear past 2 hours. Now tems dropping. Just 1oC now. Roads will be beyond lethal!

No flakes on show as yet or sleet for that matter

Snowing in Naas now !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭darkmaster2

ffarrell7 wrote: »
    What do you expect from the South?? Sleet and wet snow that will last a few hours. The decent stuff that stays a couple of weeks like we get in the East and North of the country always comes from Siberia or the Artic. :D:D:D:D

Good man yourself!

ffarrell7 wrote: »

Good point. nothing good has ever come from the South, unless you count tropical diseases and Cork folk. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭giggsirish

t|nt|n wrote: »
    Snowing in Naas now !

Always taking the good stuff!. Last event the streamers dumped on Naas and we got the scraps. Pass some over.

EDIT: Ok spoke to soon. The lamp on street confirms sleet! Not a chance of it sticking even if does snow mind.

giggsirish wrote: »
    Always taking the good stuff!. Last event the streamers dumped on Naas and we got the scraps. Pass some over.

EDIT: Ok spoke to soon. The lamp on street confirms sleet! Not a chance of it sticking even if does snow mind.

You would be surprised, sticking on roads and everywhere here, I was surprised !

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fr wishy washy

How heavy is it in naas?

How heavy is it in naas?

Not too heavy but nice to see !

No snow in Weston Lucan, just pissshhing rain all night. Have I any chance of snow still??

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Blogger50

EDIT: Ok spoke to soon. The lamp on street confirms sleet! Not a chance of it sticking even if does snow mind.[/QUOTE]

Thats what I thought when it started here but low and behold.....she's a stickin! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Went out for a run in the rain, saw one large sleet-flake at one point, that was all. :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement