Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re-occuring dream of Leaving Cert!

• 04-01-2011 10:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭

Hiya,

Every week/ two weeks for the last few months I have dreamt that I have my Leaving Cert exams coming up and I haven't studied.
    I did my Leaving Cert ten years ago, and like most, didn't study. The feeling in the dream is of panic and absolute cluelessness about the topics/ subjects in the exams. I finished college four years ago so don't have any tests/ exams coming up.
    I'm wondering what this means. It's wierd that it only started a few months ago too.

Can anyone help?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

I'm the same. Keep thinking I'm doing my maths for LC and i don't have i clue. Done my LC about seven years ago. Its weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

I'm the exact same - Irish test for me :D It's horrible and it always takes me a few moments before I realise that I actually did it in 2002

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Slunk wrote: »
    I'm the same. Keep thinking I'm doing my maths for LC and i don't have i clue. Done my LC about seven years ago. Its weird.

Oh my God, it's maths for me too. Well, it's loads of subjects but maths is the most prominent. Obviously not our best subject?!!?

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Black Dog

Oh, stand aside young people.

Feeling old? Well, when the eldest son marries; when the arrival of a grandchild is announced. Second working a living away from home. Youngest leaving next year.

But then, there is that second childhood when all the children are gone and us oldies can go and do our own thing again.

We find that the "children" are far more restrictive in what we should do that we would be ourselves. "You can't do that" is such a frequent comment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Done my Leaving Cert over 20 years ago and have finished College about 15 years. Every now and again I have a dream that I have to complete a Maths exam to finish college (have had this dream several times over the last number of years). The dreaded feeling of where do I even start to try and revise kicks in.

Any of the dream interpretation books/websites state that to dream that you are taking an exam, signifies insecurities, fear of not meeting others' expectations, and fear of failure.

Meh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭rainyrun

i did my leaving nearly 25 years ago and I still have recurring dreams about it!! same as some of ye on here.. sense of panic, not having studied enough etc.. started getting them about five years after I did my leaving.. very strange

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 75 ✭✭Redr

I did my Leaving Cert 28 years ago and I still dream I've an Irish exam coming up and I'm clueless. I dream a lot too about not having studied for college exams. Thing is I always studied - I always slogged. I dream, too, about job-hunting or trying to hold down a job. I had to emigrate after I finished college when getting a job was like hitting the jackpot so I think these dreams are bound up with the most vital aspects of my life; having an education and getting a job.

In one dream I had a job and was paying for rent on 2 apartments in San Francisco but I was in Ireland also trying to get a job. The stress!! The relief to discover, when I awoke, that it was only a dream!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭Coileach dearg

Just googled this to see if anybody else might have experienced this but it looks like quite a few people have also been dreaming of doing the leaving cert!
    I have this dream quite often that I am ready for an exam for my Leavimg Cert and am all prepared to go, waiting to catch the bus. At the very last minute, as the bus slows down to pick me up, I start walking the other direction and come to the realisation that I've actually done my Leaving Cert 14 years ago, have a degree and actually have a job!
    It seems to be getting more and more frequent lately.
    Not sure what the meaning is but it's always the same dream, over and over again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭misterdarkness

Same for me it's maths and I'm either day before exam freaking out or I'm in exam Hallllooking at a maths paper that that may as well be a NASA physics test. No clue :) but most have this exact dream crazy ain't it. Did my lc in 99

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,106 ✭✭✭✭josip

Same here. Did my Leaving Cert in 90 and did fairly well. But I still have the occasional dream about "The Leaving Cert", no exam in particular, coming up and I've not studied for it at all.

For me I think that at times of stress my brain reverts to the most stressful time in my life and relives it for kicks. Would others say that doing the leaving was the most stressful time in their lives? College exams, parents death, marriage, new job, etc don't come close for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

It's actually a sign of stress in your day-to-day life.

It's a weird one isn't it? I have a degree and a post grad and it's years since I did my Leaving Cert and yet in times of stress, particularly if highly stressed in work for example, I can dream about it a few times......always a horrible dream too isn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,204 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I get this a lot too. I've done something wrong and have to go back and repeat 4th-6th year - as an adult! :(

I argue, 'no no! I did my LC! I have a degree now!' but for some reason it's all void and has to be repeated.

Some relief when I wake up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

o1s1n wrote: »
    I get this a lot too. I've done something wrong and have to go back and repeat 4th-6th year - as an adult! :(

I argue, 'no no! I did my LC! I have a degree now!' but for some reason it's all void and has to be repeated.

Some relief when I wake up!

That's mad, me too! I also get the having to repeat a year and have to go in as my thirty something year old self......a psychologist would have a field day! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,123 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

ElleEm wrote: »
    Hiya,

Every week/ two weeks for the last few months I have dreamt that I have my Leaving Cert exams coming up and I haven't studied.
    I did my Leaving Cert ten years ago, and like most, didn't study. The feeling in the dream is of panic and absolute cluelessness about the topics/ subjects in the exams. I finished college four years ago so don't have any tests/ exams coming up.
    I'm wondering what this means. It's wierd that it only started a few months ago too.

Can anyone help?
    they say it's disappointment with your academic achievements! ( i get them too)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,204 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

they say it's disappointment with your academic achievements! ( i get them too)

I dunno. I think if that was the case it wouldn't be so much of a nightmare as you'd be glad to be back in school to give it all another go.

With this it's the opposite, the sheer terror of thinking that everything I've achieved since leaving school is null and void - and then having to do it all again :eek:

Advertisement