Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank Visa vs Credit card

Options
  • 04-01-2011 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    I have never owned a credit card but want one for things like internet bookings, e bay things like that. Would it be better to get an Ulster bank Visa debit card or a credit card, if so, which one?
    Ive a current account with AIB at min, if I went with an Ulster bank card, would I have to move my account?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

Ulster Bank Visa debit card is Ulster Bank's version of Laser, which means you would need a current account with Ulster.

I've been using my Visa Debit card for about a year now, and I think they're great!

Laser was good in its day, but they need to move on and give everyone the Visa debit cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Toboldlygo

Catxscotch wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    I have never owned a credit card but want one for things like internet bookings, e bay things like that. Would it be better to get an Ulster bank Visa debit card or a credit card, if so, which one?
    Ive a current account with AIB at min, if I went with an Ulster bank card, would I have to move my account?

Only thing to watch out for is booking into hotels doing a 'pre-auth' when you arrive, which basically blocks the use of the money they think it will cost for the full stay at their hotel; so you can't spend the money in your current account.

Other than that Visa Debit cards work the same as Visa credit cards except you are spending your own money not the bank's money. I have used my Ulster Bank debit card on the internet to buy most of my Christmas presents and used it everywhere in Italy and France during last summer. :)

AIB are still with Laser and there is no sign of them changing yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

You don't *have* to move if you don't wish to. You can have a current account in 2 banks, using the (Ulster) bank account as a place to hold funds just to operate the debit card.

It's not always very sensible, but you would be far from the first person to do that.

Advertisement