Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Speed Query

Options
  • 04-01-2011 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi all,

My broadband is with Eircom, I have the 7mb package and currently I get speeds of 5mb from my main line in the hall.

The extension line in the TV room provides only 1.5mb of speed, when I rang Eircom the girl said that for some reason my line speed was limited to only 2mb on their system regardless of main or extension.

Could this be what is affecting the speed on my extension line, if they just up their system to 7mb should I be able to get the same speed of about 5mb or more on both lines ?

Thanks

Colm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

The main phone socket in your house (MDP or Main Distribution Point) is specially wired to provide the best service. If the external line to your house is only capable of a certain speed., then that will bottleneck whichever phone socket that you use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

smythc wrote: »
    when I rang Eircom the girl said that for some reason my line speed was limited to only 2mb on their system regardless of main or extension.

If eircom have limited the line speed to 2Mbps, it's because the line can't handle any more than that. You're probably not going to get any improvement on what you have.

Advertisement