Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using GP to allow users to install applications

• 04-01-2011 12:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45

Hi all,

I was studying networking in IT Tallaght last year and I was allowed to install applications as long as I directed the installation folder to my home folder.

E.G. instead of instaling Packet Tracer to C:\program files\... I had to install it to x:\%user%\packet tracer\

How do I set up this.

I am using Server 2008 Standard Edition on one server acting as the DC.

Regards

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Installations are far more than just files.

You have registry changes as well. It sounds a bit like a sandbox environment that you want, but I am not entirely sure you can get that with a normal 2008 CAL.

What is your specific aim?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

having users able to install apps is a night mare for license management

It can be done through group policy so it's restricted to published apps and then group rights so only some users can install those apps, - it appears in Add/Remove programs

However, if you publish applications that need a license per machine then still a nightmare for license management

as an alternative look at portable apps - these don't need to be installed and can be run from the users home folder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Take a look at www.spoon.net and see if that is a better option for you.
    You'll need to be able to install an IE plugin for it to stream the apps though.

Advertisement