Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Paying for 7MG Not told I would only get 4MG

Options
  • 04-01-2011 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

Hi Eircom,
    I have been on a 7MB home broadband package and got the email last week to say I was upgraded to NGB so I decided to do a speed test and it came back as 3.51MB download. I rang to enquire and was told that my line could only take 5MB max and then through further discussions with support was advised that they were only sending 4MB to my modem. He was able to up this to 5MB instantly because I was complaining. My issue is that I feel I have been seriously mis sold a package for the last three years or however long I have been on that package. I note the standard line is that it is up to 7MB. My issue is that had I been told I could have 3MB or 7MB but I would never ever possibly get 7MB and my line was only capable of 5MB but Eircom as of yesterday had decided to only give me 4MB ( And who is to say it was always 4MB over the last number of years !), then on that basis I would have said I might as well have the 3MB package so and only pay for that. I really am very annoyed that I was sold a package that Eircom knew they were never going to deliver to me. Also if I was paying for up to 7MB and my line could take 5MB why was I only being sent 4MB. At the very least surely I should have been getting the max I could get when I was paying for the higher package. This type of misleading the consumer surely cannot be allowed and I would like to take the issue to Comreg but I need to make a formal complaint to Eircom first. Can you tell me where to send this formal complaint ?

Also as an aside we had no DSL connection at all on Christmas Day until late on St. Stephens Day and noone in support so we were unable to SKYPE family abroad on Christmas Day so very unhappy with that also.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

AMCCORK wrote: »
    Hi Eircom,
    I have been on a 7MB home broadband package and got the email last week to say I was upgraded to NGB so I decided to do a speed test and it came back as 3.51MB download. I rang to enquire and was told that my line could only take 5MB max and then through further discussions with support was advised that they were only sending 4MB to my modem. He was able to up this to 5MB instantly because I was complaining. My issue is that I feel I have been seriously mis sold a package for the last three years or however long I have been on that package. I note the standard line is that it is up to 7MB. My issue is that had I been told I could have 3MB or 7MB but I would never ever possibly get 7MB and my line was only capable of 5MB but Eircom as of yesterday had decided to only give me 4MB ( And who is to say it was always 4MB over the last number of years !), then on that basis I would have said I might as well have the 3MB package so and only pay for that. I really am very annoyed that I was sold a package that Eircom knew they were never going to deliver to me. Also if I was paying for up to 7MB and my line could take 5MB why was I only being sent 4MB. At the very least surely I should have been getting the max I could get when I was paying for the higher package. This type of misleading the consumer surely cannot be allowed and I would like to take the issue to Comreg but I need to make a formal complaint to Eircom first. Can you tell me where to send this formal complaint ?

Also as an aside we had no DSL connection at all on Christmas Day until late on St. Stephens Day and noone in support so we were unable to SKYPE family abroad on Christmas Day so very unhappy with that also.

Hi AMCCORK

Thanks for contacting the eircom on Boards Forum.
    Apologies for any delay getting back to you.

Firstly can I explain about Next Generation Broadband (NGB). NGB is an uncontended broadband connection. NGB is a FREE upgrade OF UP TO 8MB for all customers that may be able to avail of the higher broadband speeds. It appears in your case, that you are unable to get the max broadband speed and therefore will only be able to avail of the a lower broadband speed. Not to worry, quite a few customer's would be in a similare situation to yourself. This is not their fault, nor is it the fault of eircom. It is primarily a logistical issue that will impact on customers on the residential adsl service.
    This is clearly outlined in eircom's literature and marketing. NGB will not change anything in relation to the geographical distance from the eircom exchange - to your house /premises.

If you would like to PM me your home phone number, I can take a look at your broadband connection and try to advise you further.
    If you need to register a complaint or contact customer services please call : Customer Services 1800 200 481 (free)

If there's any thing else that I can help with, please let me know.

Regards
    Ant

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭AMCCORK

Hi Ant,
    That's fine re NGB as I don't have an option to pay for less its up to 8MB end of story. However my issue is that for the last number of years I have been paying for up to 7MB when if Eircom had told me day one that they would never provide me with 7MB because my line would only take 5MB and in fact they were only going to give me 4MB ( If I even had that in reality over the last number of years) anyway then I would have elected to pay for the 3MB service for the last three or four years. I believe that I have been completely mislead. Eircom should not have sold me a package albeit up to 7MB if in reality they were only going to provide me with a service nearer to the lower package. Eircom clearly would have known this. Therefore Eircom in my opinion would appear to have sold me a product that they had no intention of ever supplying and I should have been paying for the 3MB product all along. Also my second question is if my line was capable of 5MB and I was paying for up to 7MB why was I only being given 4MB ? I do fully intend to take this to COMreg because I am sure that many people have been in this position over the last number of years. Its all very well to say you can get up to 7MB but Eircom were fully aware that they would not provide me with up to 7MB because they were not capable of that. I should have been clearly told that Eircom would only supply me with 4MB and then I could have made a choice as to whether to pay for 3MB or 7MB. This was never made clear. I believe that I have to make the complaint in writing before I can go to comreg so is there an email address i could write to ?
    Thanks, AMC

Hi Ant,
    I called that number and they told me someone would call me about it in five to ten days ! She also said " there's not that much difference in the price anyway". I don't mind paying for something but when it's under false pretences any amount no matter how small that I am overcharged annoys me.
    TKX AMC

Hi Ant,
    I called that number and they told me someone would call me about it in five to ten days ! She also said " there's not that much difference in the price anyway". I don't mind paying for something but when it's under false pretences any amount no matter how small that I am overcharged annoys me.
    TKX AMC

Hi AMCCORK,

Thanks for contacting the Forum again.
    I've checked your broadband connection as advised and have sent you PM outlining general package stucture of broadband 2 - 3 years ago.

As advised, at this time eircom offered primarily 3 broadband packages :
    1MB, 2MB and 3MB.
    This was subsequently upgraded as other packages became available. So about 18mts ago, customers on 2MB were upgraded (FREE) to 3MB, and customers on 3MB were upgraded (FREE) up to 7MB. In all cases it is not possible to give customer's the total free upgrade to 7MB - as adsl is dependent on geographical distance from the eircom exchange to the customer's premises.

If you wish to have this outlined more clearly please call eircom Customer Care directly. They will be able to go through your bill minutely if necessary. If there is any decrepancy they will also be able to advise or assist. If you need to find out at what stage each package was introduced or when certain packages were upgraded, eircom Sales will be able to give you exact information.

Customer Care : 1901
    Broadband Sales : 1800 503303

As I said in my PM I can help you with the technical side if you wish. Please let me know if you need further assistance with this.

Cheers Ant

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭chrisjdoran

I hate complaining, and being Irish that is a rare thing,

I moved into a new house, only renting, there was a phoneline so I called eircom to set up BB, the girl on the phone was great and she signed me up for a bundle of calls and 3mb BB, I asked her if it could go to 7mb but she said sorry your line will not take the 7mb, so I was stuck with the 3mb.

After a few weeks I realised that this was almost as slow as a dial-up BB, so after several speedtests I was getting an incredible download speed of 0.85 mb..

So I checked on the eircom website and entered my phone number to test what BB services my line could handle, and what do ya know, the MAX my line will take is 1mb BB, yet I was sold a bundle of calls and 3mb BB.... this breaks my lil heart as I'm on the side of a mountain in Co. Leitrim, and I'm afraid NGB will not be within 20 miles of my house, should I just go away and enjoy my 0.85 mb BB Eircom???

Sorry had to get that off my chest lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

I hate complaining, and being Irish that is a rare thing,

I moved into a new house, only renting, there was a phoneline so I called eircom to set up BB, the girl on the phone was great and she signed me up for a bundle of calls and 3mb BB, I asked her if it could go to 7mb but she said sorry your line will not take the 7mb, so I was stuck with the 3mb.

After a few weeks I realised that this was almost as slow as a dial-up BB, so after several speedtests I was getting an incredible download speed of 0.85 mb..

So I checked on the eircom website and entered my phone number to test what BB services my line could handle, and what do ya know, the MAX my line will take is 1mb BB, yet I was sold a bundle of calls and 3mb BB.... this breaks my lil heart as I'm on the side of a mountain in Co. Leitrim, and I'm afraid NGB will not be within 20 miles of my house, should I just go away and enjoy my 0.85 mb BB Eircom???

Sorry had to get that off my chest lol

Hi chrisjordan
    thanks for your post we are here to help if at all possible and Boards is great for getting things 'off your chest'. If you have been advised that your line will only take 1Mb there may not be much I can do, however if you PM me your line no. I can test for speed capacity and if any chance of NBG connection.
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭chrisjdoran

Thanks tony, I will PM you now so :o)

Thanks tony, I will PM you now so :o)

Hi chrisjdoran
    yes have your details thanks and will check line capacity. Will get back later today.
    Tony

And my saga continues..... As already stated I want to bring my issue to comreg as I feel it is a problem that is widespread and amounts to misselling by Eircom. Over the last two weeks nobody I spoke to has had it made clear to them by Eircom that the packages they were selling were up to 7mb or up to 3mb. Nobody was told that they would not receive anything like the max speed by Eircom when taking out the package. In order to bring this issue to Comreg I need to make a formal complaint to Eircom. There is no facility to make this complaint to Eircom in writing. I therefore needed to wait to be called back. On Mon last I had a call from a very pleasant gentleman in Customer care who agreed that the nature of the package I was being sold should have been explained to me and said he would pass the issue to sales. Today I had a call from a very unpleasant lady who had no interest in listening to what my issue was. She offered a goodwill gesture of a credit which was not the full amount overcharged. She really annoyed me with her attitude to be honest but at least I can now take the issue to Comreg. I am sure that Comreg will be delighted to hear that she told me that it would be a waste of time as Comreg won't do anything about it except get back to her on it. My big issue with her though is that she told me more than once today that if I exceed 50GB download allowance on my current package that I will be charged. Twice I tried to point out to her that I received an email stating that I am on an unlimited download allowance package and both times she insisted and clearly stated that if I exceed 50 GB download on my "unlimited " package I will be charged. Is this correct ? Because if the next package is a 30 GB allowance then unlimited is surely not 50GB ?
    Oh Eircom why do you treat your customers this way. By the way I have been an Eircom customer for a very long time paying by dd so would have thought I was the type of customer they would wish to keep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭eircom: Eleanor

And my saga continues..... As already stated I want to bring my issue to comreg as I feel it is a problem that is widespread and amounts to misselling by Eircom. Over the last two weeks nobody I spoke to has had it made clear to them by Eircom that the packages they were selling were up to 7mb or up to 3mb. Nobody was told that they would not receive anything like the max speed by Eircom when taking out the package. In order to bring this issue to Comreg I need to make a formal complaint to Eircom. There is no facility to make this complaint to Eircom in writing. I therefore needed to wait to be called back. On Mon last I had a call from a very pleasant gentleman in Customer care who agreed that the nature of the package I was being sold should have been explained to me and said he would pass the issue to sales. Today I had a call from a very unpleasant lady who had no interest in listening to what my issue was. She offered a goodwill gesture of a credit which was not the full amount overcharged. She really annoyed me with her attitude to be honest but at least I can now take the issue to Comreg. I am sure that Comreg will be delighted to hear that she told me that it would be a waste of time as Comreg won't do anything about it except get back to her on it. My big issue with her though is that she told me more than once today that if I exceed 50GB download allowance on my current package that I will be charged. Twice I tried to point out to her that I received an email stating that I am on an unlimited download allowance package and both times she insisted and clearly stated that if I exceed 50 GB download on my "unlimited " package I will be charged. Is this correct ? Because if the next package is a 30 GB allowance then unlimited is surely not 50GB ?
    Oh Eircom why do you treat your customers this way. By the way I have been an Eircom customer for a very long time paying by dd so would have thought I was the type of customer they would wish to keep.

Thank You for your most recent post, my colleague Ant will be back in touch with you shortly

Eleanor

• Advertisement

Hi AMCCORK,

Thanks again for contacting eircom on Boards.ie
    I have checked with the Sales Department and they have confirmed that your eircom broadband package is NGB Advanced. This means that you have an unlimited download, subject to fair usage policy; generally this is about 250 GB.

If you go the following website - http://bit.ly/hSrBpV
    If you click on the NGB Ultimate header, halfway down the page, you will see the Usage is outlined in detail.

If you need to log this again with Customer Care or Sales, just call 1901 (freefone). If you want you can also make them aware of the above website and advise that you have received confirmation that you are on an eircom broadband package called NGB Advanced. I apologise if this was unclear. It is possible that an individual may have been unclear about your download capacity /limit.

Customer Care will be able to provide you with a case id /reference if you need this for any other reason.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Regards
    Ant -

(eircom on boards.ie Moderator)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 rexkiller

i live in co.Wicklow and i am paying for Eircom next generation every speed test i do it never goes past 3MB and sometimes doesn't make it past 1MB i have a slow connection and in the control panel for my Eircom router i noticed that it say for the speed 3072 kbps /384 kbps know i dont think i am getting my 8MB i am supposed to be paying for and also i check my phone number on the eircom website it says that NGB is'int available were i live now please explain to me why sell NGB to a customer if that plan the customer is being sold is'int available where he lives :mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

rexkiller wrote: »
    i live in co.Wicklow and i am paying for Eircom next generation every speed test i do it never goes past 3MB and sometimes doesn't make it past 1MB i have a slow connection and in the control panel for my Eircom router i noticed that it say for the speed 3072 kbps /384 kbps know i dont think i am getting my 8MB i am supposed to be paying for and also i check my phone number on the eircom website it says that NGB is'int available were i live now please explain to me why sell NGB to a customer if that plan the customer is being sold is'int available where he lives :mad::mad::mad:

Hi rexkiller,

Can you private message me with your telephone number and I will look into your broadband connection and package.

Thanks, Mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 rexkiller_2

Hi rexkiller,

Can you private message me with your telephone number and I will look into your broadband connection and package.

Thanks, Mark

ok mark i sent the number to you

Hi rexkiller,

Thanks for contacting eircom on boards.ie

I am currently checking your broadband sync and connection.
    I will get back to you soon as soon as possible with my some advice.

Kind regards
    Ant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Hi rexkiller,

I checked and the NGB has not been enabled in the Newtown Mount Kennedy exchnge as yet. I apologise if you were given misinformation. However the NGB will be enabled in your area by the end of March at the latest.

I can track the NGB rollout and let you know when you have been changed to NGB.

Thanks, Mark

rexkiller wrote: »

Hi rexkiller,

Thanks again for waiting on my response.

I have checked your broadband connection.

First can I clear up any confusion on your broadband package.
    You're broadband is currently on eircom's 'Home Plus' Package. Your phoneline /exchange is due to be upgraded to Next Generation Broadband (NGB) soon.

If you need to find out when it is hoped the NGB upgrade will go through please log on to the website : www.ngb.ie ; Enter your phone number and eircom account number in the relevant fields. and then leave your email address. You will be contacted shortly afterwards when your phone line is upgraded to NGB.

As as it stands you are not paying for Next Generation Broadband. Next Generation Broadband (NGB) is a FREE UPGRADE, of up to *8Mb. It is therefore impossible to pay for this extra service, when the upgrade goes through.

Your broadband line is currently synced at 3Mb (on the Home Plus Package). The broadband attainables on your line look excellent. Your broadband connection is also staying solidly connected across our authentication servers, so I see no problems on the eircom exchange or on our side.

If you need to accurately check your broadband connection speed, please take a look at the following URL :

Broadband Checklist - http://bit.ly/aPwvTT

(Any problem linking to the above URL, please copy & paste this into your Internet browser address bar)

If you follow directions on the broadband checklist (http://bit.ly/aPwvTT ) your broadband speed should be approximately 2.5Mb.

This is governed by having only one computer connected by ethernet cable and the modem connected to the master phone socket (MDP). The modem must be connected with the standard dsl cable (rj11) (which was first provided by eircom). All other computers, laptops, iphones, wireless printers, should be shut down, while checking your broadband speed. This is outlined on the above URL.

I hope this clears up your broadband package and your current setup with eircom.
    If there's any thing else I can help you with please let me know.

Cheers
    Ant

• Registered Users Posts: 10 honnaddannoh

A few recent issues with Eircom.

1 - Constant phone calls from sales reps asking me to come back to Eircom.
    2 - Promising impossible services they don't provide for extremely high prices.

Example - Rep calls telling me to downgrade from 3mb Vodafone,which i only get 2mb on my line, To Eircom 1mb NGB for slighty dearer and also 1/4 of Vodafones monthly Download allowance 40GB > 10GB . So i ask him why would i pay more for less?
    He told me that i would get faster download speeds. But surely downgrading from 2mb(which is all i get on my line) to 1mb would half my download capacity?
    He went on to assure me that with eircoms 1mb NGB i would be capable of a download speed of 1mb/per second?? When i thought myself 1mb was only capable of 100kb/s...?

Any way even if what he were saying were true ( which it isn't) , I asked him can i even get NGB is my local exchange even upgraded ?

As you've probably guessed the answer is no and it won't be for another 3months........

So we have a mix of deliberate misinformation to try and con a potential customer into believing a dearer service is better than the one they are on......When infact Eircom can't even offer the package in question for another 3months!

My mother actually thought of going back to Eircom before i talked to the salesman, She would have been conned into an Inferior Broadband Package for and over inflated price by sheer Deliberate misinformation on Eircoms behalf.....

A few recent issues with Eircom.

1 - Constant phone calls from sales reps asking me to come back to Eircom.
    2 - Promising impossible services they don't provide for extremely high prices.

Example - Rep calls telling me to downgrade from 3mb Vodafone,which i only get 2mb on my line, To Eircom 1mb NGB for slighty dearer and also 1/4 of Vodafones monthly Download allowance 40GB > 10GB . So i ask him why would i pay more for less?
    He told me that i would get faster download speeds. But surely downgrading from 2mb(which is all i get on my line) to 1mb would half my download capacity?
    He went on to assure me that with eircoms 1mb NGB i would be capable of a download speed of 1mb/per second?? When i thought myself 1mb was only capable of 100kb/s...?

Any way even if what he were saying were true ( which it isn't) , I asked him can i even get NGB is my local exchange even upgraded ?

As you've probably guessed the answer is no and it won't be for another 3months........

So we have a mix of deliberate misinformation to try and con a potential customer into believing a dearer service is better than the one they are on......When infact Eircom can't even offer the package in question for another 3months!

My mother actually thought of going back to Eircom before i talked to the salesman, She would have been conned into an Inferior Broadband Package for and over inflated price by sheer Deliberate misinformation on Eircoms behalf.....

Hi honnaddannoh
    This reflects very badly on the sales agent who spoke to you and is not relective of eircom's sales policey. Due to the serious mis-information here could I ask you if you managed to get the agents name? or would it be possible to PM me your line no to see if I could locate this incident. I should also be able to take your number off future sales calls.
    Again my apologies for this incident.
    Tony

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 neilconlon

Ant,
    could you please answer this question for me.
    I have been told that the max speed that my line can take is 3mb BB. i live directly across the road from the exchange ( approx 300m). my brother lives less than a mile away from the exchange and he can recieve 7mb BB on his line.
    how is this so, my understanding was the further you are from the exchange the worse the BB capability is??

Is it a case of the actual phone line cable that is buried in the ground that is unable to provide more than 3mb BB??
    my house was only built in 2005 and the cables were installed then?
    any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.
    Neil

• Advertisement

neilconlon wrote: »
    Ant,
    could you please answer this question for me.
    I have been told that the max speed that my line can take is 3mb BB. i live directly across the road from the exchange ( approx 300m). my brother lives less than a mile away from the exchange and he can recieve 7mb BB on his line.
    how is this so, my understanding was the further you are from the exchange the worse the BB capability is??

Is it a case of the actual phone line cable that is buried in the ground that is unable to provide more than 3mb BB??
    my house was only built in 2005 and the cables were installed then?
    any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.
    Neil

Hi Neil
    If you PM me your tel. no. I can investigate this for you.
    Tony

Advertisement