Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MacBook AntiVirus

• 04-01-2011 12:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I know this is a huge bone of contention between users but I think my MacBook might have something up with it. I don't subscribe to Mac's don't get virus's. Its a computer and no matter how bulletproof an OS is, there has to be overlooked holes here and there. I'm running all the latest software updates but its running very slow and a few odd things have happened recently.

Firstly my Gmail was hacked in Russia about the same time I logged on using Mail. I was thinking a session hijack. I wouldn't mind but my password wouldn't be susceptible to a bruteforce or dictionary attack. By the way, how to you fine tune Mail's SPAM settings? It lets all my SPAM through, even if ear marked as SPAM?

So what I would like to do is get a light weight AntiVirus to do a scan every week or so. Is there such a thing? Not looking for live protection system.

Any Thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Zon

I highly recommend MacKeeper. It's a great app, there's a free trial and they also have recently added Anti-Virus to it. Check it out & take a look at that link. To be brutally honest, I wouldn't be bothered explaining the benifits of it at the minute as I'm somewhat busy, but download the free trial anyway, you won't be disappointed.

Prices

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

Eset have antivirus for mac now and you can stop it from running all of the time, and only run scans when you want.

It will be a good idea to do some tests on the disk.

Go to Applications -> Utilities -> Disk Utility

Select your OSX partition and click repair disk permissions, once done you can verify them and repair again if all permissions are not fixed.

Then verify the disk, if it needs to be repaired you will need your os install disk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

hearny wrote: »
    Eset have antivirus for mac now and you can stop it from running all of the time, and only run scans when you want.

It will be a good idea to do some tests on the disk.

Go to Applications -> Utilities -> Disk Utility

Select your OSX partition and click repair disk permissions, once done you can verify them and repair again if all permissions are not fixed.

Then verify the disk, if it needs to be repaired you will need your os install disk.

Whoa! I had a huge amount of repairs and verifications to do. Been a long time since I ran a repair.

I think I've found the culprit though. I'm running with 4GB of free space on a 160GB disk. Apparently under 10% free space, MacOS gets a little claustrophobic and fragmented. Might get an hard drive upgrade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

The trial version of MacKeeper will allow you to clean up the system, as well as remove any unused applications.

Advertisement