Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Computer Breakdown

• 04-01-2011 12:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭

hey im using a dell desktop in work with Windows XP Media Centre Edition

turned it on today to get this message

\windows\system32\config\system

file is damaged or cannot be found

you can try fix issue but using cd and pressing " R " at first screen to repair or reload xp

Now my issue is , i dont have the orginal cd as its 8 years old , the pc has been flying before , quick etc

my accounts data and payroll are on this machine , how do i fix this , as i didnt back up either , my own fault i know but its been so good i hadnt bothered backing up in months

any ideas ???

it just opens to that message then f2 or f12 , then reverts to opening windows screen then that message again

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

turned it on today to get this message

\windows\system32\config\system

file is damaged or cannot be found

you can try fix issue but using cd and pressing " R " at first screen to repair or reload xp

Now my issue is , i dont have the orginal cd as its 8 years old , the pc has been flying before , quick etc

my accounts data and payroll are on this machine , how do i fix this , as i didnt back up either , my own fault i know but its been so good i hadnt bothered backing up in months

any ideas ???

it just opens to that message then f2 or f12 , then reverts to opening windows screen then that message again

It could be hard disk failure, If you can use another computer to download and burn Ubuntu and you can run it as a live disk on the problem machine (Boot off the CD and run live version w/out install), this way you may be able to access your files and copy them onto a external hard drive or USB drive if you have one, The other option is a corrupted registry, try borrow a CD from someone although finding a Win XP MCE cd may be difficult, Microsoft provide Vista and 7 images online its a pity they wont do so for XP...

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

The Registry is most likely corrupt as the file mentioned is part of the windows registry.

If you can download a live CD like Knoppix you should be able to boot from the cd and recover your important files (copy them onto external hard drive).

Your best bet is to get a cd that will allow you to access Recovery Console, if you can borrow another XP disk it doesn't necessarily have to be MCE.

Here is a page with some instructions, See if you can do anything with them. I will see if I can create a bootable one for you but I may not get time tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

Try reboot hold down f8,safe mode,use arrows,up,down, enter key, select
    directory services restore mode ,it wont do it any harm.It may fix it,IT,LL try and use older copy of the registery to load the os, you can copy data from the drive using a linux live cd eg mint distro ,from a cdr disk,copy to a usb drive.Mint just boots from the cd, set bios ,boot mode,cd=0= 1st boot device = cd/dvd drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭wolfric

I think booting into a linux live cd and recovering data is an extreme measure. If he doens't have the disk and runs xp, there is no backup partition to reinstall windows. He'd have no way to reinstall windows.

Best bet is to beg borrow or download yourself a copy of that cd. I could be wrong but i think any normal xp cd will do the trick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

no

xp cd's wont work

• Advertisement

Can you get as far as the recovery console with the xp cd's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭tadcan

wolfric wrote: »
    I think booting into a linux live cd and recovering data is an extreme measure. If he doens't have the disk and runs xp, there is no backup partition to reinstall windows. He'd have no way to reinstall windows.

Using linux/ubuntu/knoppix is a good first action. Once you know your data is safe then you can work towards fixing the machine without fear of losing it.

If you can boot up with the XP cd you can you the repair option, which will fix most of the issues, and put your data aside. There is a risk of data loss and should not be done without a backup first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

I have a Windows XP Media Centre Edition CD here. If you want to borrow it, PM me your details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

ok so i went into the bios and re arranged the boot sequence

1. from usb , cd rom
    2. sata drive

etc

then exited , now the windows welcome screen comes up and says press f1 to continue or f2 to enter boot menu so i press f1 and it says boot from cd press any key so i did and it entered into recovery mode ( so least i know the boot from cd is working ) it gave me 3 options , 1 to install xp professional , 2 to repair press " r " or 3 to exit without installation

so i pressed the " r " to fix ( note that im using xp media centre edition ) but i used an xp professional installation cd to see if it would clean up the registry etc , anyway a blue screen came up to say

Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer , make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected to your computer etc

setup cannot continue . to quit setup press f3

somebody please help me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭softdancomputer

If you go to BIOS, can you see the harddisk?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 496 ✭✭bette

wolfric wrote: »

Best bet is to beg borrow or download yourself a copy of that cd. I could be wrong but i think any normal xp cd will do the trick.
    Wrong! You boot up with the UBUNTU disk and have access to the computer without installing! He can then copy all his stuff to an external disk or even flash drives etc. or burn DVDs / CDs.

When the deed is done he simply closes down the machine.

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing!

Sounds like you need to install sata drivers to use that cd.

You either need to find the drivers for the hard drive, or get a newer installation cd.

Does the computer have a floppy drive.

What are the make and model of the computer and I will try to find your drivers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭tadcan

Does the xp pro cd have sp3

If you have access to another computer, you can use nlite to make a cd with the needed drivers.

As said above if you have a floppy drive you can put sata drivers and press f6 to include those drivers.

But I hope you back first

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

ok so i went into the bios and re arranged the boot sequence

1. from usb , cd rom
    2. sata drive

etc

then exited , now the windows welcome screen comes up and says press f1 to continue or f2 to enter boot menu so i press f1 and it says boot from cd press any key so i did and it entered into recovery mode ( so least i know the boot from cd is working ) it gave me 3 options , 1 to install xp professional , 2 to repair press " r " or 3 to exit without installation

so i pressed the " r " to fix ( note that im using xp media centre edition ) but i used an xp professional installation cd to see if it would clean up the registry etc , anyway a blue screen came up to say

Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer , make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected to your computer etc

setup cannot continue . to quit setup press f3

somebody please help me

You will need to slip stream the SATA drivers for your chipset onto the CD and re burn it, NLite is one way to do this, these drivers can be found on Dells driver store section of website, also, I may be totally wrong but I'm not sure a repair install using a pro disc will work on MCE editon, maybe it will as I'm sure theres not too much difference between both at core, but I would think installing pro as a repair install will unlicense your MCE license and leave you with a unactivated copy of XP Professional

Nick

Advertisement