Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quality Food

Options
  • 04-01-2011 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi,

In the process of reading 'eat your heart out' - which I would strongly recommend. If you want to know what's in your food and not on the label then start here.

The conclusion I've drawn is to source your food locally.

The Saturday Market seems a good place to start and I'm aware of a company 'green earth organics' however they seem to import a lot of their produce.

Anyway, just wanted to get the ball rolling, if anyone knows of local farmers producing quality food in an organic and ethical manner please let me know.

Yup

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

Where are you based and we can try source things locally for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 yupsham

I'm located in the galway city area.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Food & Drink

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Yumee

What about the market there just off quay st. on a sat and sun? They do veg and loads of organic stuff. There was also a veg market in corrib shopping centre not sure if that's still running tho! Anyway must get that book thanks for the recommendation!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Moved to Galway City. Local knowledge may be best for this one.

HB

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Mr. Beans green grocers in the Eyre Square Centre sources most of his stuff locally, great prices too.

I actually tend to avoid the market for veg, it's a bit of a rip off.
    The fish mongers can be good, if you haggle with them, don't be fooled into thinking it's any fresher than any of the other fish mongers around town though, they are just a wholesalers who run a stall, no different to the market behind the harbour hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

My Mom gets all out fruit and veg at the market on Fridays in Moycullen, always local produce that is so so fresh. We grow a fair bit too. Also, buys fish by the box from the factory back west of else some from Galway Bay Seafoods. Dad gets us a full freezer of meat from a farmer he knows so we only really buy milk, juice and bread during the week. And there are ten in our family!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Crowd from Clare called BLUEBELL FALLS do the nicest goats cheese I have ever tasted. Only came across them last month when they were doing sampling in SuperValu. Its made by the Keane family from their own free range goats. They also gave me a lovely biog/recipie book (pity I cant cook). I think Mortons is the only other place in Galway that stocks their stuff but they deliver from the farm for free. Website is bluebellfalls.ie.
    Ive no connection with them but I love their approach. Would love to visit their farm.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

You can buy Blueball Falls cheese from Cafe 8 @ the museum.
    It's pretty freaking amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Isnt it just! Ive never come across honey and garlic flavour before. It doesnt sound right but it works lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

My Mom gets all ou[r] fruit and veg at the market on Fridays in Moycullen, always local produce that is so so fresh.

Please tell me what places around Galway / Ireland grow fruit.

I mean, it's not like we have the climate for it.

+1 to the person who said that the Saturday market is a rip-off. No prices displayed on most goods, pretty dodgy weighting practices too (eg by eye), and a real tendancy to round prices up, IMHO.

Advertisement