Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sudden Lose of Some FTA Channels. Why?

• 04-01-2011 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭

I have just lost a couple of channels from my free to air service like the two food network channels for example. A small few others seem a little jumpy with the rest including HD channels perfect.
    At one stage all was perfect and happend all of a sudden.

The dish seems secure and all cable connection are the same as before.

Is there anything else that could have caused this?

Anty help appreciated.

I solved the issue. Over the Xmas I installed an inline booster because some channels were glitching and needed it.
    The thing is with the booster these glitching channels are perfect but also with the booster a number of channels are gone with no signal while others glitch with high BER rate.
    How is this so?

Is my dish not alligned correctly?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Liameter

An LNB amplifier is required where the cable is too long and it has to be fitted at the correct position along the cable*. If you are using it for any other reason, it's unlikely to work reliably, as you seem to have found out.

*It also needs to be an 'equalised gain slope' type to compensate for cable length. A non-equalised type can be used to overcome losses in a switch, for example.

Whatever your reason for fitting it, it's probably the wrong solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭tmcw

Gerb68 wrote: »
    I have just lost a couple of channels from my free to air service like the two food network channels for example. A small few others seem a little jumpy with the rest including HD channels perfect.
    At one stage all was perfect and happend all of a sudden.

The dish seems secure and all cable connection are the same as before.

Is there anything else that could have caused this?

Anty help appreciated.

I solved the issue. Over the Xmas I installed an inline booster because some channels were glitching and needed it.
    The thing is with the booster these glitching channels are perfect but also with the booster a number of channels are gone with no signal while others glitch with high BER rate.
    How is this so?

Is my dish not alligned correctly?

Probably. You should check what channels you're missing, and see if they're on any of the weaker transponders like the Eurobird beams/footprints.

http://www.flysat.com/28east.php

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Gerb68

Liameter wrote: »
    An LNB amplifier is required where the cable is too long and it has to be fitted at the correct position along the cable*. If you are using it for any other reason, it's unlikely to work reliably, as you seem to have found out.

*It also needs to be an 'equalised gain slope' type to compensate for cable length. A non-equalised type can be used to overcome losses in a switch, for example.

Whatever your reason for fitting it, it's probably the wrong solution.

I installed this amp between cables at the back of the reciever. Should I install it at the LNB.

Can you give me the name of what exact amp I should search for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

I have yet so see one of those so called "amps" work successfully . In my opinion your money would be better spent on other items such as good quality cabling,dish and lnb. Can you tell us a little about your set up, IE what dish size and type of cable you are using?

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Triax 80cm dish, Good quality cable, Triax Quad LNB. Motek Diseqc 1.2.

The thing is from doing other searches and posts tonite I now know this is a DM800HD issue and I need a 13-18db slope equalised gain amp.

The thing now is trying to find one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

What length of coax cable have you?
    How do you know it's good quality, undamaged and connectors fitted properly?

There is NO issue on DM800HD or any other satellite receiver that needs an amplifier.

Even a rubbish satellite receiver works with over 50m cable.

An amp is ONLY to boost for long cables.
    If it's helping some channels for any cable less than 50m then your cable, connectors, LNB or Tuner is damaged. Or you have interference (usually due to poor screen on cable).

If the dish is mis-aligned or too small for desired satellite, then an amplifier, better LNB or different tuner makes almost no difference at all.

watty wrote: »
    What length of coax cable have you?
    How do you know it's good quality, undamaged and connectors fitted properly?
    Because its cable I acquired and took particular care with installing. I carefully attached compression connectors myself. I was only stating good cable to move the discussion away from this as I'm almost certain this was not the cause of the issue.

From what I've seen of some people with the same DM800 as me there is an issue with the exact same 4 HD channels. Some have even replaced the tuner.
    An amp is ONLY to boost for long cables.
    An Amp is only for cable over 50 metres???
    If the dish is mis-aligned or too small for desired satellite, then an amplifier, better LNB or different tuner makes almost no difference at all.
    Wasn't That my origional question?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

So either faulty tuner or gremlins.

Try a different type of sat receiver.

Just to update the 13-18db slope equalised gain amp worked. Thanx for all the help.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Liameter

That's rare but, as I stated, the correct type of amplifier at the correct position may help. So how long is the cable and where did you fit the amp?

• Advertisement
Advertisement