Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Second Big 4" of thrash

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Max Power1 wrote: »
    lol.

Its spelt Sepultura, for a start.

Lol, you're the best!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Lol, you're the best!:p
    :rolleyes:
    So just ignore the rest of the post (the actual content, the spell czech part was obviously tongue-in-cheek)

(must resist temptation to make a pun about your username and how you responded like a c...) :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

AaronEnnis wrote: »
    Spot on. Heavy Metal Maniac is just deadly. And as regards Razor...just dont get 'Decibels'. Terrible album, ha ha... everything else ranges from excellent (Evil Invaders) to good (Open Hostility).

Have you heard Sacrifice, also from Canada?

I have. I had "Forward To Termination" on LP. Thought it was good, if a bit non-descript. I wouldn't have rated them higher than any of the other bands we're talking about.

Although on that note I remember getting Nuclear Assault's "Handle With Care" album and thinking it was terrible. Really boring. Felt the same about Coroner's Punishment For Decadence. I guess at that stage I was going off thrash. Within a year it were all Hendrix and Floyd round these parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Jake The Fat Ma

Spot on. Heavy Metal Maniac is just deadly. And as regards Razor...just dont get 'Decibels'. Terrible album, ha ha... everything else ranges from excellent (Evil Invaders) to good (Open Hostility).

Have you heard Sacrifice, also from Canada?

Sacrifice are good but not in the same league as the other 2.

The Razor song "on the edge of a razor" has to be the best speed metal song ever

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Jake The Fat Ma

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

I would like to add Sodom, Tankard and Dew Scented :D

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

Apart from the obvious as mentioned so far, I also like Annihilator, Onslaught and Artillery.

Now that "The Big 4" are gigging together regular, I'm surprised no-one has thought of a touring Thrash Festival kinda like the Sonisphere set up.

For the record, based purely on personal taste as opposed to sales etc I'd go for Testament, Flotsam & Jetsam, Overkill and Kreator.

Some other new bands worth checking out are: Hatchet, Havok and Hexen.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭metzengerstein

i dont know why metalica are in the big 4 anyway they aint thrash,even there 80s stuff was very weak .anthrax id replace them

so id have slayer,overkill,megadeth,old sepultura.

2nd wave

kreator,tankard ,gothic slam ,testament

ps machine head are not thrash ,

i dont know why metalica are in the big 4 anyway they aint thrash,even there 80s stuff was very weak .anthrax id replace them

Facepalm

No metallica and in all likelihood you wouldnt have heard of most of the other bands you listed.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭darconio

I alway classed Sepultra as death metal and attached to that whole wave in 89-91.

I agree with you, in my opinion Sepultura are more DM than thrash mostly because they have the typical death growl.
    They were one of the main bands from the south american thrash scene. They are not death metal, in the same way that Slayer or Pantera are also not death metal.

Yes they started as a thrash band but I wouldn't classify Morbid Visions and Bestial Devastation as "thrash".

But again is a very thin line and I guess it can be stretched to one side or to another depending on the personal taste. ;)

Back on topic:
    Definitively I would add Overkill one of the most underrated thrash band
    Nuclear Assault
    Defiance
    Grinder

• Advertisement

Facepalm

No metallica and in all likelihood you wouldnt have heard of most of the other bands you listed.

did i touch a nerve :rolleyes:

why would i not have heard of them,why would i list them otherwise ,i grew up listning to all of them

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

why would i not have heard of them,why would i list them otherwise ,i grew up listning to all of them
    To seem cool, or hip to the groove :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭GrizzlyMan

Apologies if this has been endlessly debated before.

So we all know Metallica / Megadeth / Slayer / Anthrax are the "Big 4" of thrash, but has there ever been definitive confirmation on who the next 4 were, to make a "Big 8" list overall?

If I had to guess I'd say it would be Sepultura, Testament, and then... I'm not sure. Kreator? Celtic Frost? Nuclear Assault?

What's your opinion?

In no particular Order: Early Sepultura, nuclear assault, Onslaught & kreator

Denny M wrote: »
    To seem cool, or hip to the groove :pac:

sure why would i need to do that. :D:D:D

being born in that era is cool enough

No you didnt touch a nerve.

Metallica was what/who brought thrash metal to the wider audience.

No you didnt touch a nerve.

Metallica was what/who brought thrash metal to the wider audience.

for maybe a small while when they started for maybe a year then along came slayer and a few others and blew them out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Why would there even be a "second big 4"??

Seems to me there were 4 metal bands who were relatively successful at the same time, hence the "big 4". Surely the second tier could be 10 or 20?

for maybe a small while when they started for maybe a year then along came slayer and a few others and blew them out of it.
    Slayer? Mainstream/Wide audience in the 80s? I think not.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭GrizzlyMan

Slayer? Mainstream/Wide audience in the 80s? I think not.

Well Reign In blood entered the american Billboard 200 chart at 94 and considering they had absolutley no air play proves that there were a wide under ground audience and south of heaven reach somewere in the 50's.

So their was a big slayer following but obviously nowere near Metallica as and Justice entered in the top ten in the billboards charts.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭AaronEnnis

You don't get on American Recordings without being a pretty huge band. End of.

• Advertisement

You don't get on American Recordings without being a pretty huge band. End of.

well said.

when slayer came on the scene heads where turning away from metallica as a much stronger and heavier bay area thrash had awoken.they will always have the legendary thrash album of all time .they keep pumping out what they had been doing at the start,and look at their success even without having to sell out and turn into a c**k rock band.im so glad dave mustain got kicked out of that band with. megadeth its like he got his own back .amazing band and again still enjoying great success and not having to sell out. so i reckon metallica where losing their thunder so they went and lost their way took the pu**y way out .

say what you will its my opinion of a band gone wrong.i never liked them and never will.

seachto7 wrote: »
    Why would there even be a "second big 4"??

Seems to me there were 4 metal bands who were relatively successful at the same time, hence the "big 4". Surely the second tier could be 10 or 20?

Why four? Why not I guess. I agree, it could be around 10 or so bands that made up the most popular / successful batch; in fact most of the names being mentioned here would probably form that 10. I just said second four as there was a first 4 to start with!

So what would that 10 look like? :)

id say its to do with they where 1st ones around and they influenced alot of bands .

maybe not so much anthrax.

the big 10 that could be an amazing show .the ten bands in my head right now is making my mouth water at the though of what a show itd be .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I suppose you could stick with the big four, as far as popularity goes, but on the next level, you'd have 10 bands of at least the same quality:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,415 ✭✭✭Riddle101

It was said in the Metallica Biography Justice For All: The Truth, that after the big four, Testament and Exodus would be next on the list. So I would definetely think they would be on the next big 4. As for the other two, well i'm proberly just mirroring everyone else but Sepultura as well would be another pick, and Voivod as well

Testament
    Exodus
    Sepultura
    Voivod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭gothicus

wow Sepultura they bring me back to my youth! They should surely be in the first 'big 4' instead of Megadeth or Anthrax. as for a second big 4 eh dunno, didnt thrash and speed metal die a death when Metallica became groovy and Death metal took over?

gothicus wrote: »
    wow Sepultura they bring me back to my youth! They should surely be in the first 'big 4' instead of Megadeth or Anthrax. as for a second big 4 eh dunno, didnt thrash and speed metal die a death when Metallica became groovy and Death metal took over?

Sepultura prob not big 4 as they didn't really hit their commerical stride till the 90s and the "Roots" era. I remember when Beneath The Remains came out, and it was an "important" album, but that was 89 or so and M/M/A/S had kind of sealed their reputations by that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Harrocks

As to an alternative big 4 i would go with
    Exodus
    Overkill
    Coroner as already mentioned check out albums like Mental Vortex,Punishment for Decadence and these guys were a trio.
    and rounding off with early Sepultura.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

I think this thread is going around in circles at this stage! Thrash is great, there is loads of great stuff out there beyond the 'big 4' if you want to go find it, end of. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Sepultura prob not big 4 as they didn't really hit their commerical stride till the 90s and the "Roots" era. I remember when Beneath The Remains came out, and it was an "important" album, but that was 89 or so and M/M/A/S had kind of sealed their reputations by that point.

right around the roots era sep were extremely popular probably more so than slayer ever were, arise sold 1 million+ copies worldwide, chaos sold 500k in the us alone, its hard to know where to put them though death or thrash, then again is megadeth really speed, is slayer closer to death, you could go around in circles

but testament, kreator and exodus would be the next 3 after "the big 4"

Advertisement