Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Second Big 4" of thrash

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭LaBaguette

Some people seem to see Kreator, Tankard, Sodom and Destruction as the "other"/"German Big 4". They are definitely four, that's one thing. When seeing Destruction live, I thought "that's what metal should be !", sure. I'm not sure they are that "big", tho.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

LaBaguette wrote: »
    Some people seem to see Kreator, Tankard, Sodom and Destruction as the "other"/"German Big 4". They are definitely four, that's one thing. When seeing Destruction live, I thought "that's what metal should be !", sure. I'm not sure they are that "big", tho.
    Thinking back, I wouldn't have put Tankard, Sodom or Destruction in there. There was no doubt that they were good (could you take Tankard seriously?) but I didn't think that they were that big.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I alway classed Sepultra as death metal and attached to that whole wave in 89-91.
    Max Power1 wrote: »
    Its spelt Sepultura, for a start.

I'm sure this question has been asked and answered before but why do so many Irish people pronounce Sepultura wrong? It's not as if there aren't any audio references of the band themselves pronouncing the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Malice_ wrote: »
    I'm sure this question has been asked and answered before but why do so many Irish people pronounce Sepultura wrong? It's not as if there aren't any audio references of the band themselves pronouncing the name.

I used to say "SePULLtura" instead of "SepulTURA" which I believe is the correct pronounciation, like the word "sepulcher".

I used to say "SePULLtura" instead of "SepulTURA" which I believe is the correct pronounciation, like the word "sepulcher".
    Why wouldn't you just pronounce it the way the band themselves do using a Portuguese rather than English word?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Not sure they've been mentioned but.....

anvil3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

sentient_6 wrote: »
    I think this thread is going around in circles at this stage! Thrash is great, there is loads of great stuff out there beyond the 'big 4' if you want to go find it, end of. ;)

True. But in fairness any discussion about music usually goes around in circles, but that's what makes it fun. :D

I think regardless of everybody's opinion of the bands themselves the big four of Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth and Anthrax are the bands that realy poularised the genre and brought it to a wider audience.

The quality of all their subsequent albums and style changes aside each of those bands released at least one album in the eighties that defined the genre - Master of Puppets, Reign in Blood, Among the Living and Peace Sells.

There were bands before and after, some better some worse. But the big 4 were the ones that established the genre. If you ask most people which band first got them into thrash or just metal itself it was probably one of those bands.

For me, the second big four or at least "honorable mentions" go to:

Overkill
    - never quitting despite never achieving mainstream success

Testament
    - ditto and actually returning to a higher level of quality now than in their mid-career

Sepultura
    - bringing a new, non-American, non-European slant and sound to the genre

Kreator
    - sheer aggression of their early albums.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Why wouldn't you just pronounce it the way the band themselves do using a Portuguese rather than English word?

I don't know the correct way then - what is it? I've never heard it spoken.

I don't know the correct way then - what is it? I've never heard it spoken.
    I dug through some of the Sepultura bootlegs that I've got and came across the attached from an Argentinian concert. It's a zipped MP3 file. Enjoy :).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I dug through some of the Sepultura bootlegs that I've got and came across the attached from an Argentinian concert. It's a zipped MP3 file. Enjoy :).

Thanks!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Metallergy

for me its Nuclear Assault, Voivod, Sepultura, Kreator. Sabbat maybe.. a third big 4 of thrash would more interesting. fourth, fifth, etc. Tankard, D.R.I., Razor, At War.. - its all irrelevent if those guys ultimately top it though :o didn't metallica get caught up in a fad? not so sure it suited em either.. only returned to 'thrash' as a desperate last resort; not that it would have affected sales they were tryin to save face and only top the pile via sales are massively popular globally amidst general pop fans for the most part.. who are dictated over by hmv charts n who'll probs pick up a snoop or deadmau5 cd while theyre at it. Tiesto, whatever - but thrash was the only metal genre i found to be street wise/exciting/appealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

Testament, Exodus, OverKill, Nuclear assault, Death Angel, Sepultura, Kreator, Sodom, Sabbat, Destruction, D.R.I., Vio-lence, Dark Angel, Suicidal Tendencies, Tankard, Voivod, Annihilator, Metal Church, Sacred Reich.

Pick Any 4 from that lot really!

However if i had to chose: Overkill, Testament, Exodus, Kreator.

some of those groups were almost genres witin emselves. Voivod pioneered fúckin space far as i'm concerned with their brand of cyber-metal, where no group had gone before. the Suicyco crew patrolled the streets with their curious brand of, Gansta-Metal?! but like mother always maintained, its all just thrash.

Holy Moses, Celtic Frost, Living Death, Sacred Reich, Metal Church, Xentrix, Lawnmower Death, Wehrmacht, Coroner.. Exciter, Reanimator, Vaginator could be finicky about what was thrash or death metal and omit some of the heavyweights that were part n parcel of the general scene of the time like Obituary n Death, n Carcass who weren't even death/thrash according to grindcore purists, yet were very much both, in my ears anyhow
    AaronEnnis wrote: »
    as regards Razor...just dont get 'Decibels'. Terrible album, ha ha... everything else ranges from excellent (Evil Invaders) to good (Open Hostility).

Have you heard Sacrifice, also from Canada?

Razor's Shotgun Justice was one of my favourite albums but years later when i checked out their other releases i found em to not nearly live up to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

"Sepul-toorrra" roll the "r" :)

Advertisement