Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

11000 new jobs in ireland but none for Limerick

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,340 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

With the reputation that Limerick has would you want to create jobs there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

padma wrote: »
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0104/economy1.html

Twould make you laugh if there wasn't such a high unemployment figure here.

How do you know none were in Limerick?Do you expect people to be handed jobs?

The multinational company I work for in Limerick who were originally IDA backed have created a good few jobs over the last few months.A friend of mine who works for another multinational company have also hired in the last few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,341 ✭✭✭✭phog

The multinational company I work for in Limerick who were originally IDA backed have created a good few jobs over the last few months.A friend of mine who works for another multinational company have also hired in the last few months.

Please don't let facts get in the way of a good rant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

It is well documented that the Limerick city area has been grossly overlooked by the IDA. This is factual, Limerick chamber of commerce recently estimated that 50 new jobs backed by the IDA have arrived in Limerick since 2009. 50, that is a paltry sum, while other areas with less unemployment have been granted and handed out jobs. So yes I do expect people to be handed jobs after they have applied for them and been successful in their interview. Yet in a city which is overlooked when jobs are being created it is very tough to apply for jobs that do not exist, where in other counties and cities yes they do exist and they are there.

If there was NEW jobs here in the city we wouldn't have the high unemployment that we currently have. Simple really. It is the job of the IDA to source new companies to invest in the mid-west region. If the current situation continues we here in the mid-west region will continue to further decline, as we have seen since 2008 or so.

I am under no illusions that the IDA is doing its very best for the region, if it was we would have got a fairly larger chunk of NEW IDA backed jobs than 50 from the 11000 or so which have arrived in Ireland in the recent past. This being due to being Irelands third largest city. As it currently stands the figures stand for themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Surely education and employment is the best way to end a lot of the social problems?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,672 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

This is factual, Limerick chamber of commerce recently estimated that 50 new jobs backed by the IDA have arrived in Limerick since 2009. 50, that is a paltry sum
    if it was we would have got a fairly larger chunk of NEW IDA backed jobs than 50 from the 11000 or so which have arrived in Ireland in the recent past.

Why does your thread title say that there are no IDA jobs when you in fact knew this to be untrue?

Anyhow, here are some adresses for you - write to them and ask them to justify why Limerick hasn't received as many IDA jobs as other parts of Ireland.

idaireland@ida.ie - email of the IDA.

willie.odea@oireachtas.ie - Willie O Dea

http://www.fiannafail.ie/people/contact/peter-power/ - send a messsage to Peter Power

http://www.fiannafail.ie/people/batt-okeeffe/ - send a message to Batt O Keefe

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

The article also states that 9500 IDA jobs have been lost over the same period so really the IDA only created 1500 jobs.

In other news, buried at the bottom of this article in the leader about the city center http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/New-incentive-scheme-for-retailers.6678676.jp is this.

Meanwhile, the IDA's regional manager said there was significantly more interest in Limerick from overseas investors last year than in 2009.

The number of site visits here had increased from 19 to 31, said Sean Denver. Three IDA-backed projects are to be announced here in 2011.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

what has that to do with anything? all multinationals care about is money, they would set up in the nine pits of hell if it saved them a few bob, reputation of a place has nothing to do with such a decision.

If there was NEW jobs here in the city we wouldn't have the high unemployment that we currently have. Simple really. It is the job of the IDA to source new companies to invest in the mid-west region. If the current situation continues we here in the mid-west region will continue to further decline, as we have seen since 2008 or so.

As I've said already this is untrue as I know 2 companies who have created NEW jobs in the last few months,just cause they're nothing to do with your skillset doesn't mean they're not out there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

osarusan wrote: »
    Why does your thread title say that there are no IDA jobs when you in fact knew this to be untrue?

Keefe

Ok I admit I was short by 50 jobs. In the grand scheme of things it would be
    fair to say that's nearly none compared to the announcements we hear weekly about other areas of the country.

To the poster who says why would someone set up here with the rep Limerick has. If this is the case it would seem that there is discrimination towarda Limerick city and this would IMO be a more worrying issue cos at the end of the day to a certain extent the politicians and state controlled jobs bodies control the jobs. Meaning if Limerick is overlooked maybe there is a bigger lobster behind the rock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

There are a few jobs out there, but not enough for the unemployed, limericks true unemployed figure is just going one way up. Even with all the people emigrating.

Its so easy for some one who has a job to call all unemployed uneducated. Not true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

As I've said already this is untrue as I know 2 companies who have created NEW jobs in the last few months,just cause they're nothing to do with your skillset doesn't mean they're not out there

Unfortunately, you've completely missed the point.

liammur wrote: »
    Unfortunately, you've completely missed the point.
    Fire ahead and explain how my post was irrevelant to the post i quoted

Fire ahead and explain how my post was irrevelant to the post i quoted

'The IDA said 126 foreign direct investments were secured last year, with 47 companies investing in Ireland for the first time, up a fifth on 2009.'

How many of these 47 companies located in Limerick, that's the key issue for almost everyone.

It is for this reason that the IDA/FF have completely failed Limerick. If an already established company like vistakon creates some jobs, I won't give willie o dea or IDA credit for that.

So the point the initial poster was alluding to: bring in new companies. Anyone know when the last one was (apart from the 13 jobs in december) ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

What the hell is that supposed to mean ?

I mean, one of Limerick's reputations is a sports-mad city, while another is a top-level centre for graduates from UL & LIT.

Liam Byrne wrote: »

I mean, one of Limerick's reputations is a sports-mad city, while another is a top-level centre for graduates from UL & LIT.

Some people are extremely limited and fly off on tangents on the most basic of points, it's better off just let them be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

I mean, one of Limerick's reputations is a sports-mad city,
    Hate to break it to you, sports mad town isn't an attractor of foreign investment.
    while another is a top-level centre for graduates from UL & LIT.

This might be a reason, but it's a matter of ability of a company to attract the right graduates and staff to the location. Just cos Limerick has loads of grad's of UL or LIT, doesn't mean that those grads have the skill-sets required.

Ask yourself, would a US company find it easy to convince a high level exec to move to Limerick? What happens when they google and see the news stories about the drugs wars etc, you know it's only in certain areas, but it's a negative on the image of the area.

It's easier convince companies to move to Dublin, Cork or even Galway than Limerick, that's a fact. Arguing that it's the IDA's job (or even Shannon Dev) to get jobs for Limerick is missing the point. Limerick has a good connection via motorways to Shannon airport, for air freight, and to Dublin. It's got good telecommunications infrastructure. Maybe the problem with jobs for Limerick is Limerick.

Instead of whinging and complaining that outsiders should be giving Limerick jobs, maybe Limerick could look at itself. It's got a city center thats uninviting, that is very dark after sunset, I'd argue that most of the city's commercial center is unappealing and bland during the day, dark and threatening at night. The city is the result of some brutal "planning" with dire traffic as a result. It's got a reputation for being the location of gang crime.

IDA doesn't give jobs to area's, it tries to attract companies to an area, and Limerick has got to entice and convince the exec's of multi nationals to invest in the area. The IDA can show exec's all the advance factories, offer all the grants it can, but it cannot force a company to choose Limerick.

Limerick people and politicians, would be better engaging with companies that were shown Limerick sites, but didn't choose them to find out why Limerick wasn't chosen, rather than berate the IDA.

Bogger77 wrote: »
    Hate to break it to you, sports mad town isn't an attractor of foreign investment.

This might be a reason, but it's a matter of ability of a company to attract the right graduates and staff to the location. Just cos Limerick has loads of grad's of UL or LIT, doesn't mean that those grads have the skill-sets required.

Ask yourself, would a US company find it easy to convince a high level exec to move to Limerick? What happens when they google and see the news stories about the drugs wars etc, you know it's only in certain areas, but it's a negative on the image of the area.

It's easier convince companies to move to Dublin, Cork or even Galway than Limerick, that's a fact. Arguing that it's the IDA's job (or even Shannon Dev) to get jobs for Limerick is missing the point. Limerick has a good connection via motorways to Shannon airport, for air freight, and to Dublin. It's got good telecommunications infrastructure. Maybe the problem with jobs for Limerick is Limerick.

Instead of whinging and complaining that outsiders should be giving Limerick jobs, maybe Limerick could look at itself. It's got a city center thats uninviting, that is very dark after sunset, I'd argue that most of the city's commercial center is unappealing and bland during the day, dark and threatening at night. The city is the result of some brutal "planning" with dire traffic as a result. It's got a reputation for being the location of gang crime.

IDA doesn't give jobs to area's, it tries to attract companies to an area, and Limerick has got to entice and convince the exec's of multi nationals to invest in the area. The IDA can show exec's all the advance factories, offer all the grants it can, but it cannot force a company to choose Limerick.

Limerick people and politicians, would be better engaging with companies that were shown Limerick sites, but didn't choose them to find out why Limerick wasn't chosen, rather than berate the IDA.

That's an interesting point and plausible until one realises that the mid west region was attracting top companies until 1997,,,,,,,, what happened since then i wonder ??

IDA does give jobs to areas, for instance, they have targetted 50% of all jobs over the next number of years for dublin & cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Cork has pharmaceuticals and financial services
    Galway has networks/telecommunications and medical devices
    I've left out Dublin

Is there something Limerick can sell themselves for? Try to identify some area and work with IDA and realy concentrate on it. Try to get a cluster of companies all in the same region. I think "cluster" is some business term to explain this.

I don't what the sector is but realy, that's for the Chamber of Commerce and local reps to be working on

Cork has pharmaceuticals and financial services
    Galway has networks/telecommunications and medical devices
    I've left out Dublin

Is there something Limerick can sell themselves for? Try to identify some area and work with IDA and realy concentrate on it. Try to get a cluster of companies all in the same region. I think "cluster" is some business term to explain this.

I don't what the sector is but realy, that's for the Chamber of Commerce and local reps to be working on

I believe a change of government will do the trick. Willie o dea has been an absolute shambles for the region. It's not just jobs, look at the hospitals for instance, the maternity is in a totally disgraceful condition and the regional has hardly seen a penny since noonan was on office.

• Advertisement

IDA does give jobs to areas, for instance, they have targetted 50% of all jobs over the next number of years for dublin & cork.

Since 1997, a huge amount of IDA jobs are financial service and the funds industry.
    Over 10,000 people working in the IFSC Dublin and thousands more in Cork, a lot in Cork airport business park.

One company Northern Trust is in Castletroy and that's it.

So I would think that would account for a lot of the new jobs since 1997. TheIFSC being the centre and the focus was always the plan.

But looks like Cork took the rest with the remainder going to Limerick, Dundalk and Kilkenny.

Just one sector I know, I don't know any others realy.

But these companies are tending to group together and that goes back to my previous post, can Limerick find an area and take all the companies and group them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

I agree, Limericks problems can only be solved by us living here in Limerick, be that investigating why we aren't getting the jobs or addressing our citys reputation.

Since 1997, a huge amount of IDA jobs are financial service and the funds industry.
    Over 10,000 people working in the IFSC Dublin and thousands more in Cork, a lot in Cork airport business park.

One company Northern Trust is in Castletroy and that's it.

So I would think that would account for a lot of the new jobs since 1997. TheIFSC being the centre and the focus was always the plan.

But looks like Cork took the rest with the remainder going to Limerick, Dundalk and Kilkenny.

Just one sector I know, I don't know any others realy.

But these companies are tending to group together and that goes back to my previous post, can Limerick find an area and take all the companies and group them?

I agree re clusters. Limerick used to have a strong I.T sector but most of those companies went bust and nothing was done to replace them. That's why the region is literally closing down. Not only has there been zero growth since 1997, it has gone back by a considerable bit.

They waited for Dell to close before they considered doing anything and have brought in about 63 jobs since!

That's an interesting point and plausible until one realises that the mid west region was attracting top companies until 1997,,,,,,,, what happened since then i wonder ??
    Hmmm, when did the Dundons and the rest start? 1997 is a long time ago, things changed, like the whole business world! I guess you mean 1997 was when FF was elected? Even M Noonan couldn't attract jobs to Limerick. Limerick had Dell and thought it was the bee's knees but we know what happened there. Manufacturing, although the correct term for what Limerick's Dell plant did is "simple follow instructions" assembling of cheap objects was never going to last, where was the R+D, call center for sales and support? Not Limerick. I'm struggling to think of a major MNC that had R+D center in Limerick. I'm excluding Shannon cos that has R+D. Analog and Vistakon are mainly manufacturing?[/QUOTE]
    To be blunt, it's better to target money towards area's that you can sell, rather than area's that you cannot.
    A shop keeper will not keep spending money on products they cannot sell, similarly, the IDA should not spend too money on area's that have failed to sell in the past.
    Also, Limerick has it's own economic development agency, covering Limerick and the surrounding areas, and it's not been too successful recently either. Limerick and Shannon region, have what Dublin, Cork and Galway haven't, a dedicated agency.

Of course, you've also ignoring the fact, and it's a simple enough fact, that the Dublin metropolitan area and the Cork metropolitan would be probably more than 50% of the population of the country. Dublin area is Dublin county, North Wicklow, Drogheda, North Kildare (Cellbridge, Leixlip, Naas), East Meath (Clonee, Dunboyne, Enfield), Cork would be pretty much all the area from Mallow to Fermoy to Midleton on the North +East, with Cobh, Crosshaven and Carrigaline to the south, westwards to Bandon.

Tallaght at about 93K people is just a tad short of Limericks urban population.

Why should Limerick get unequal share of the pie?

They waited for Dell to close before they considered doing anything and have brought in about 63 jobs since!

Don't we know it!
    Everyone knew that day was coming for years and years and just before it announced the bould Willie and the Táiniste hop on a plane.

I'm not saying they could replace every job. The IDA couldn't. But it seems there was no plan in place at all.

But Limerick can't focus on that now.
    Galway had some huge setbacks over the years but they've done well and have the medical devices cluster. And Cork seem to be getting priority from the IDA but they've done well from pharmaceuticals for years now despite some recent job losses

If it's not IT then there is something that Limerick can take over. Not sure what that is

Possibly Limerick can learn from Galway? I don't know the solution, the local reps need to do a better job though

I believe a change of government will do the trick. Willie o dea has been an absolute shambles for the region. It's not just jobs, look at the hospitals for instance, the maternity is in a totally disgraceful condition and the regional has hardly seen a penny since noonan was on office.
    and this, my dear boards colleague, is the one of the many reasons why Limerick will not prosper.

TD's are not "local" politicians, and more so, when in government, they should be targeting the funds, the not inconsiderable taxes I pay yearly, not towards projects in their local areas so that people will think they're the big man, but towards the areas where they will result in the best outcome, and give the best return.

Hmmm, when did the Dundons and the rest start? 1997 is a long time ago, things changed, like the whole business world! I guess you mean 1997 was when FF was elected? Even M Noonan couldn't attract jobs to Limerick. Limerick had Dell and thought it was the bee's knees but we know what happened there. Manufacturing, although the correct term for what Limerick's Dell plant did is "simple follow instructions" assembling of cheap objects was never going to last, where was the R+D, call center for sales and support? Not Limerick. I'm struggling to think of a major MNC that had R+D center in Limerick. I'm excluding Shannon cos that has R+D. Analog and Vistakon are mainly manufacturing?

To be blunt, it's better to target money towards area's that you can sell, rather than area's that you cannot.
    A shop keeper will not keep spending money on products they cannot sell, similarly, the IDA should not spend too money on area's that have failed to sell in the past.
    Also, Limerick has it's own economic development agency, covering Limerick and the surrounding areas, and it's not been too successful recently either. Limerick and Shannon region, have what Dublin, Cork and Galway haven't, a dedicated agency.

Of course, you've also ignoring the fact, and it's a simple enough fact, that the Dublin metropolitan area and the Cork metropolitan would be probably more than 50% of the population of the country. Dublin area is Dublin county, North Wicklow, Drogheda, North Kildare (Cellbridge, Leixlip, Naas), East Meath (Clonee, Dunboyne, Enfield), Cork would be pretty much all the area from Mallow to Fermoy to Midleton on the North +East, with Cobh, Crosshaven and Carrigaline to the south, westwards to Bandon.

Why should Limerick get unequal share of the pie?[/QUOTE]

My point was, the IDA DOES target areas, hence the BMW region for Galway and the border counties, and 50% targets for Dublin/Cork.
    As for companies, Analog, PKS, NETg, Vistakon are all good companies and had no problem setting up in Limerick.
    I believe a new government will quickly address the wrongs of this government and areas like kerry/limerick/waterford will get their fair return. Everything FF did had some disastrous implications for someone.

and this, my dear boards colleague, is the one of the many reasons why Limerick will not prosper.

TD's are not "local" politicians, and more so, when in government, they should be targeting the funds, the not inconsiderable taxes I pay yearly, not towards projects in their local areas so that people will think they're the big man, but towards the areas where they will result in the best outcome, and give the best return.

Incorrect.

You cannot leave 1 or more regions fail, so whilst willie o dea adopted your theory, and did nothing for the region as he considered it 'local' bertie ahern, micheal martin etc were busy doing all they could 'locally' and din't give a damn about the rest.

Why should Limerick get unequal share of the pie?

My point was, the IDA DOES target areas, hence the BMW region for Galway and the border counties, and 50% targets for Dublin/Cork.
    As for companies, Analog, PKS, NETg, Vistakon are all good companies and had no problem setting up in Limerick.
    I believe a new government will quickly address the wrongs of this government and areas like kerry/limerick/waterford will get their fair return. Everything FF did had some disastrous implications for someone.[/QUOTE]
    once ago, you're missing the point.
    Limerick has Shannon Dev to look after it, not just the IDA, but that aside, this thread is an example of why Limerick is not getting inward investment. It's people are spending all their time blaming this agency, that political party. The truth is, Limericks local representives, the city councillors, need to get off their arses and start working for the area.

Galway lost a major employer, similar in scale to local region when Digital downsized it's operations in Galway in 1993/94. But that was the spark that many of the people who had been let go from Digital to start some very successful companies which continue to create jobs and revenue for the Galway region. Most of the initial investments came from the redundancy money.

Maybe, instead of saying, get me jobs, people in Limerick can create their own. The economy of 1993 wasnt "celtic" tiger era, but people took a chance and gambled and a lot made good on that gamble.

• Advertisement

Incorrect.

You cannot leave 1 or more regions fail, so whilst willie o dea adopted your theory, and did nothing for the region as he considered it 'local' bertie ahern, micheal martin etc were busy doing all they could 'locally' and din't give a damn about the rest.
    Limerick is failure is not one that can be solved by the IDA, or even central government.

Unless people in Limerick push on the people elected to locally administer the city and county, it'll stay as it is, a economic dead end.

It's funny, Limerick City public representatives seem to spend more time, talking about getting the boundaries expanded when they cannot manage to light the center of the city, when driving through O'Connel street and Henry street, you'd nearly need to be on Full's rather than dipped lights.

Advertisement