Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

11000 new jobs in ireland but none for Limerick

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

Bogger77 wrote: »
    My point was, the IDA DOES target areas, hence the BMW region for Galway and the border counties, and 50% targets for Dublin/Cork.
    As for companies, Analog, PKS, NETg, Vistakon are all good companies and had no problem setting up in Limerick.
    I believe a new government will quickly address the wrongs of this government and areas like kerry/limerick/waterford will get their fair return. Everything FF did had some disastrous implications for someone.
    once ago, you're missing the point.
    Limerick has Shannon Dev to look after it, not just the IDA, but that aside, this thread is an example of why Limerick is not getting inward investment. It's people are spending all their time blaming this agency, that political party. The truth is, Limericks local representives, the city councillors, need to get off their arses and start working for the area.

Galway lost a major employer, similar in scale to local region when Digital downsized it's operations in Galway in 1993/94. But that was the spark that many of the people who had been let go from Digital to start some very successful companies which continue to create jobs and revenue for the Galway region. Most of the initial investments came from the redundancy money.

Maybe, instead of saying, get me jobs, people in Limerick can create their own. The economy of 1993 wasnt "celtic" tiger era, but people took a chance and gambled and a lot made good on that gamble.[/QUOTE]

Well for the record, I'm thankfully not looking for any job. However, lots are.
    You must realise Snn dev are nothing more than a quango, a total waste of tax payers money and should be abolished along with the vast majority of these councillors.
    We need a good central government, not one like the last muppets that only saw to their own areas. A county with no minister got very very little.

Limerick is failure is not one that can be solved by the IDA, or even central government.

Unless people in Limerick push on the people elected to locally administer the city and county, it'll stay as it is, a economic dead end.

It's funny, Limerick City public representatives seem to spend more time, talking about getting the boundaries expanded when they cannot manage to light the center of the city, when driving through O'Connel street and Henry street, you'd nearly need to be on Full's rather than dipped lights.

I agree re public representatives, they are pathetic, probably worse than elsewhere, but believe me, the standard across the board is shambolic, hence the IMF are in.

I disagree re jobs, this has to come from central government - the way companies setting up in the west get extra incentives through the BMW scheme. It doesn't make sense to for a MNC to set up in Limerick, when they can get a better deal 60 miles up the road. That's the key issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭David086

Good luck emailing Willie O'Dea he'd just say 'Fu*k your Job I've a horse outside'. Just sayin'....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

I agree with the sentiment but not the method, we need stong local government, seperate from national government, where we have accountable city councillors whose job is soley to improve the lives of our citizens thru jobs and opportunity, and if anyone thinks that FG or Labour will improve our lives you are going to be dissappointed, we have a state that is so wrapped up in quangos it cannot serve it's funtion which is to provide those jobs / opportunity.

43 quangos exist in moyross alone

When will people rise up and take back our country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Ask yourself, would a US company find it easy to convince a high level exec to move to Limerick? What happens when they google and see the news stories about the drugs wars etc, you know it's only in certain areas, but it's a negative on the image of the area.

OK - so you're saying that there are no large US companies in places like New York or Los Angeles ?

Yes, there's an overstated reputation about the above, but all I was saying is that they are not the only reputations that Limerick has.

Dublin's drug problem is as bad as Limerick's, even worse. That's not point-scoring, it's a fact. So the question is WHY people focus on the negative in Limerick, a question further emphasised by the post that I objected to, since if anyone finds this thread in a search for Limerick they will further reinforce the incorrect stereotype reputation.

Limerick has many, many negatives - even down to being the one major city that doesn't have a beach that might support and promote a particular lifestyle, but there's no sense in posters throwing in snide comments about "sure why would companies bother setting up here", which will merely add to the said reputation.

Limerick also has many, many positives, and these should be emphasised and improved on.

Getting a SWAT team in to take out the 100 or so people involved in the drugs trade might be a start, or taking a leaf out of New York's book, but there's no political will to do that, which is what we should push for.

Do you believe that if Veronica Guerin had been shot in Limerick that the same campaign would have been invoked ?

John "I want extravagant expenses for sitting on my arse" O'Donoghue was elected on a promise of "Zero Tolerance", and failed miserably.

Willie "I'll look after ye lads" O'Dea was Minister for Defence and did nothing for the city unless opening a newspaper to see him pointing a gun at them would have scared the thugs; O'Dea also promised to protect Shannon and promptly u-turned voting with FF on the transfer of slots to Belfast.

We need to demand our rights and get the proper resources - not more quangos and talk-shops - to reclaim our city from the tiny minority that are ruining its reputation.

• Advertisement

[QUOTE=Liam Byrne;69880066
    O'Dea also promised to protect Shannon and promptly u-turned voting with FF on the transfer of slots to Belfast.

We need to demand our rights and get the proper resources - not more quangos and talk-shops - to reclaim our city from the tiny minority that are ruining its reputation.[/QUOTE]

Hear hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭bacon&cabbage

liammur wrote: »
    the regional has hardly seen a penny since noonan was on office.

Not True.

New A&E

New Critical care unit (under construction at the moment)

But I do agree that the Public representation on the Limerick Jobs issue has been very poor by all 8 Limerick TD's

Galway lost a major employer, similar in scale to local region when Digital downsized it's operations in Galway in 1993/94. But that was the spark that many of the people who had been let go from Digital to start some very successful companies which continue to create jobs and revenue for the Galway region. Most of the initial investments came from the redundancy money.

Maybe, instead of saying, get me jobs, people in Limerick can create their own. The economy of 1993 wasnt "celtic" tiger era, but people took a chance and gambled and a lot made good on that gamble.

Limerick is cabable of that too bogger, look at the old Krups site

http://www.ledp.ie/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/LEDP-September-Presentation-Who-we-are.pdf

Not True.

New A&E

New Critical care unit (under construction at the moment)

But I do agree that the Public representation on the Limerick Jobs issue has been very poor by all 8 Limerick TD's

Yes, there is a new A&E underway, but only because they are closing hospitals like nenagh/ennis. I find our hospitals very dirty to say the least, it's a shame the private one on the dock road never went ahead.

K o donnell in fairness has been highlighting this IDA jobs crisis, and has taken B O Leary ( IDA CEO ) to task on it in. But the rest have been awful. Has limerick county got 1 IDA job since 1997?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,340 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    What the hell is that supposed to mean ?

I mean, one of Limerick's reputations is a sports-mad city, while another is a top-level centre for graduates from UL & LIT.

It has everything to do with it. IDA suggests that a MNC sets up in Limerick and the MNC asks its executives who wants to move to limerick and head up a new operation.
    So they Google Limerick....

Also What's this sports reputation?

• Advertisement

It has everything to do with it. IDA suggests that a MNC sets up in Limerick and the MNC asks its executives who wants to move to limerick and head up a new operation.
    So they Google Limerick....

Also What's this sports reputation?

Ballina recently got over 500 jobs, why? They got extra incentives to move there, not because it's a nice town.
    Far too many people overplay this idea that MNC's only go to 'nice' places. Money talks, Dell didn't give a sh*t what Lodz was like, it was cheaper and they believed they'd make more $. That's the number 1 rule in business, anyone telling you anything different has NO business brain.

Yes, there is a new A&E underway, but only because they are closing hospitals like nenagh/ennis. I find our hospitals very dirty to say the least, it's a shame the private one on the dock road never went ahead.

No, Its the critical care unit thats under construction at the moment.
    K o donnell in fairness has been highlighting this IDA jobs crisis, and has taken B O Leary ( IDA CEO ) to task on it in. But the rest have been awful.

Fair Point - Agreed

Has limerick county got 1 IDA job since 1997?

I think we've been here before Liam ;)

No, Its the critical care unit thats under construction at the moment.

Fair Point - Agreed

I think we've been here before Liam ;)

Just saw on the news, 44 people on trolleys in the regional, that was my point, this hospital should have been upgraded 10 years ago. But def better late than never.

Are they upgrading the A&E unit there?

Just saw on the news, 44 people on trolleys in the regional, that was my point, this hospital should have been upgraded 10 years ago. But def better late than never.

Are they upgrading the A&E unit there?

:confused: yes, I just said they plan to

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

. I'm struggling to think of a major MNC that had R+D center in Limerick. I'm excluding Shannon cos that has R+D. Analog and Vistakon are mainly manufacturing?
    That not True, I know a lot of people working there in Analog, while basic Manufacturing have shift to the far east over the last 10 years, Engineering Jobs has increased during the same time in R&D and Innovation has increased on site in recent decades. More than 3/4 of the employees involved in Manufacturing are third level Education and are involved in designing New process or assisting in Product development in some form or another. Of those 3/4 of those degree Employees, Not Just Electronic Engineers but From Electrical, Chemicals, physics, Mechanical, finance backgrounds.
    See "Analog Devices" Jobs Limerick in any search engine for the types if quality high skill jobs compare to Dell Manufacturing which was low skill Jobs assembling what I call a lego type assembly. Manufacturing in Analog Devices is far more complex and innovate than in Dell. Just look at the equipment they sold in 2003 in they old wafer Fabrication facilityplant known as FAB http://archive.dovebid.com/brochure/bro2157.pdf. They sold multi-million dollar equipment which was far more complex than Dell sale of their equipment.

I am surprise that they are still here, since 1977 and has been evolving ever since despite the high cost of manufacturing and high cost of wages, etc for developing and manufacturing products here in Ireland.
    http://www2.ul.ie/web/WWW/Administration/Ceremonies/Honorary_Conferrings/Honoured_by_UL/Recipients/Ray%20Stata
    Analog Devices flourished through the 1970s, providing the resources to finance new start-up ventures. Thus Analog Devices commenced operation in Limerick in the spring of 1976 with a team of 12 people. It was to be a start-up with a difference because unlike other off-shore investment into Ireland at that time, Analog was to build Ireland's first Wafer Fabrication facility. Analog also established Ireland's first IC design centre along with a world-wide marketing operation.
    Just one year later in Limerick they were producing their first silicon wafers in a facility employing over 100 people. By 1979, the Irish division had doubled in space, more than doubled its employment level to 250 and had introduced Limerick-designed new products on Limerick-designed process technologies. By 1983, the division had again doubled in terms of both employment levels and plant size. It also recorded continuing success in terms of new products and processes. Some of these products featured on the front page of the prestigious international trade magazine "Electronic Design". By 1986, the division had grown to its current size, 10 times the size of the facility in 1976, and employing 650 people. In 1994, the company now employs over 850 people, approximately 250 of whom are third level graduates. This year also saw the announcement of the construction of a new sub-micron Wafer Fabrication facility. This major new investment is a tangible testimony and a clear vote of confidence to the future of Analog Devices in Limerick.
    Latest Investment in 2010, see the dramatics of the workforce jobs have change in Analog Devices. from 250 out of 850 in 1994 to today see below.
    http://www.limericknewswire.com/2010/06/28/4264/analog-announces-e23m-investment-for-raheen-plant/
    US electronics firm, Analog Devices, has announced it is to invest €23 million in research and development in the company’s plant in Raheen.
    Minister for Enterprise, Trade and Innovation, Batt O’Keeffe said Monday the €23 million investment, which builds on research and development activity in the plant, will be in the manufacturing division and is supported by the Government through IDA Ireland.

The Vice-President of Manufacturing in Analog Devices, Dennis Dempsey,
    said the decision to further invest in research and development at the Limerick campus is “a very positive one” for the company’s local operations.
    “Our Limerick-based team will be driving technological developments based on our customers’ rapidly evolving needs across a wide range of industries throughout the globe,” Dempsey said.

Analog Devices, was established in Limerick in 1977 and employs over 1,000 workers in Ireland, with the Limerick operation employing about 500 workers in manufacturing.
    The company says the investment will be in the manufacturing division where over 75 percent of the workforce has a minimum of a third-level degree qualification.

Analog Devices are Still investing in Manufacturing in Ireland according to New reports.
    http://www.limericknewswire.com/2010/06/28/4264/analog-announces-e23m-investment-for-raheen-plant/

But there is always pressure on Irish Business here in Ireland when this Happened in Analog when this happened in 2007 before the recession hit us.
    http://www.finfacts.ie/irishfinancenews/article_1010903.shtml
    US firm Analog Devices, Inc. announced today that, as part of its overall strategic manufacturing plan, the Company will consolidate its Limerick Wafer Fab operations in an expansion of its existing 8" wafer facilities. As part of this programme Analog Devices plans to transition its current 6" Wafer processing Fab to its newer 8" Fab and plans to phase out and close its Limerick 6" Fab by the end of 2008.

"This is a long-term strategic decision for us as we must continuously assess our manufacturing capability to maintain our leadership position in the global semiconductor industry in which we compete," said Dennis Dempsey VP Limerick Manufacturing. "By focusing this flagship manufacturing facility on the more advanced 8" technology, we will be better positioned to provide innovative technology that is optimized to the performance and cost requirements of our customers well into the foreseeable future."

ADI's manufacturing strategy emphasizes development of internal manufacturing production capacity that provides proprietary, high value-added processes for analog and mixed-signal products, while utilizing external manufacturing foundry partners for the lowest cost access to commonplace industry standard processes.

The decision to optimize the Limerick site capacity is an integral part of the ADI manufacturing strategy. The transition to total 8" wafer capability at the Limerick facility will result in approximately 150 position redundancies.

Limerick continues to play an integral role in Analog Devices' global operations with investment in R&D continuing to increase on an annual basis -and the Limerick Wafer Fab operation remains the flagship of ADI's manufacturing infrastructure.

I think they start out with 3" wafers in 1977, then 4" wafers FAB (closed 2003) , then 6" FAB (Open 1996, closed 2008) and now 8" FAB

http://www.llynch.com/projectsheets/analog.htm
    http://archive.dovebid.com/brochure/bro2157.pdf
    http://www.dornan.ie/history/
    http://www.finfacts.ie/irishfinancenews/Irish_2/article_1010903_printer.shtml

http://www2.ul.ie/web/WWW/Administration/Ceremonies/Honorary_Conferrings/Honoured_by_UL/Recipients/Heinrick%20Friedrich%20Krabbe

From reading their Final Year report in 2009, Even by their consolidation they invested $13.5m into the Limerick Operations to achieve this task to achieve cost saving in manufacturing products, while at the same time they close their Wafer Fabrication Facility in Cambridge, Boston and Sunnyvale, California in Silicon valley!!
    http://biz.yahoo.com/e/101122/adi10-k.html
    Consolidation of a Wafer Fabrication Facility in Limerick
    In fiscal 2007, we recorded a special charge of $13.7 million as a result of our decision to only use eight-inch technology at our wafer fabrication facility in Limerick. Certain manufacturing processes and products produced on the Limerick facility's six-inch production line have transitioned to our existing eight-inch production line in Limerick while others have transitioned to external foundries. The charge was for severance and fringe benefit costs recorded in accordance with our ongoing benefit plan for 150 manufacturing employees associated with this action. We terminated the employment of all employees associated with these programs and have paid out all amounts owed to employees as severance. During fiscal 2008, we recorded an additional charge of $1.5 million related to this action, of which $1.2 million was an adjustment to the original estimate of the severance costs and $0.3 million was for clean-up and closure costs that we expensed as incurred. During fiscal 2009, we recorded additional charges of
    Judging by his quotes in 2007 and Last year, the Continued R&D Investment into the Limerick Plant in 2010 is a good one, but also a worry if Analog does not invest further into the Limerick Plant because it will show that Limerick is not coming up with the goods that Headquarters needs.

They have a number of Product Design Teams working with other Teams around the world who develop products not just for Limerick Manufacturing but for Manufacturing FAB's around the world. I mention more later in this post.
    Analog Devices have taken over 7 Buildings in the Raheen Business park most of them are Design teams and Manufacturing is only in one Building.
    http://www.idaireland.com/analog/
    We have built up a formidable base of technology expertise and knowledge, with over 450 engineers designing and launching over 80 new products to market every year. Perhaps because Ireland is a small country, the Irish tend to have a more global and outward-looking perspective. We know we're not the centre of the world, and so we're highly flexible and adaptable in our approach. Dick Meaney, Vice-President, Analog Devices, Limerick.
    According to IDA website there is 9,000 People working world wide for Analog Devices, with 1,200 working in Ireland. That's a large percentage of their employee working in Ireland, especially in Limerick.

I do not know which company in Ireland that does not have the kind of large scale products development in Ireland and it the few companies in Limerick that keep hitting the headlines. From What I am Told by their employees that it's 8" Wafer FAB in Limerick is the Flagship FAB in the company, as the Wafer Fab in the US is a 6" Wafer FAB in Boston. Most US Multinational Companies have their flagship process in US or move it to China but not start and innovate a leading FAB to be built it in Europe first never mind Ireland. So Analog Devices Limerick is bucking the Trend despite various redundancies in Manufacturing Jobs during the boom years it still coming back with more high value upper skilled Jobs replacing the lower end of high skill jobs. Now I need to do Is get a Job there.

I work in Raheen Business Park and it has change radically since Dell shut it Manufacturing doors and all low skills jobs took the major brunt of Job lost in the whole mid west, not just Limerick City. All the add on companies who relied on DELL for for work surprised me.

To Top is off since the 1980's Government department and agencies has used Analog Devices in Limerick as a case study at the top of their list to show International Investors that there is US international was successful in high level jobs and innovation develop products and manufacture all on site in Limerick since 1976.
    http://www2.ul.ie/web/WWW/Administration/Ceremonies/Honorary_Conferrings/Honoured_by_UL/Recipients/Heinrick%20Friedrich%20Krabbe
    Since the early days Analog Devices Limerick has one of the world leaders in product designs as media reports shows and that far pre Celtic tiger by two decades.
    A few years back when Intel has a Slogan and label with "Intel Inside" someone in Marketing came up with "Analog everywhere" slogan. A Smart arse says "So is Limerick!". But in a way he right as Analog Products Manufacture in the Raheen site is in products all over the world and is in everything from mobile phones, digital camera, computers, media players, Hifi, TV and their players, cars, Space Technologies, Industrial Machines, Medical Equipment, and more and more are going into everyday items such a washing machines.

I was told by several employees that until 10 years ago Analog Limerick was autonomous in comparison to other Multinational companies divisions or sites, they had control of their own spending and direction of innovation directions. While they still comes up with innovations they now have to get the money from corporate like most other Multinationals.
    I was also told that they have several pillars of reporting structures with several Top level world wide corporate people in the management in Analog Devices with their main offices in Limerick and most of them are Irish and have people world wide reporting into them from the Far east, Europe and Several US sites reporting into Limerick and several People in Limerick reporting to other managers in sites in US. He describes it as spider web that keep changing every several years.

http://www.idaireland.com/analog/
    http://www.idaireland.com/business-in-ireland/information-communication/who/
    With 80 new products a year!! That some R&D in Limerick that the IDA has shown us. That more than Intel.

To Top it off here IDA reports on Industries R&D in the Limerick and in the Midwest
    http://www.idaireland.com/locations/regions-of-ireland/midwest/
    Limerick

Limerick, Ireland's third largest city, has a population of 90,000, with the population rising to 450,000 within a 60 km (37 mile) radius. Limerick is readily accessible by air, road, rail and port. The city is just 20 minutes drive from Shannon International Airport with direct daily flights to the US, UK and Europe. Limerick is on the national rail network with daily train services to Dublin Cork, Waterford & Ennis.

ICT, Life Sciences, International Services and Engineering/Consumer Products are important sectors for overseas investment in the Limerick area. Companies operating in these sectors include Dell Computers, Analog Devices, Kostal, Aughinish Alumina, Stryker, Vistakon and Cook Medical. The range of activities being undertaken include high value manufacturing, R & D, software development, shared services and customer technical support type operations.

The city is served by a resilient broadband network where a choice of carrier ensures competitive pricing and high quality service for all users.

Limerick has two major third level educational institutions, University of Limerick and Limerick Institute of Technology (LIT)- , which together have an aggregate student population of c. 18,000. The university has over 11,000 full-time students and c.-2,000 part-time. LIT has 3,900 full-time and 900 part-time. Major areas of research in UL and LIT include:
    • ICT and software
    • Biosciences, bioanalysis, bioengineering and environment
    • Materials & surface science
    • Work quality and productivity
    Limerick is famed for its love of sport. Due to its history in the game of rugby, it is considered by many throughout the world to be the ‘Home of the Spirit of Rugby’.

In the Limerick Post paper (Page 8) this week, O'Donnell from FG says that the IDA will be announcing Jobs from three companies for New Jobs in Limerick. Two of them are Large companies and 1 from a small firm.

When things go bad, you know who are your friends are. With the credit crisis in the last few years only 6% of the National figure features Limerick companies that CJ the recovery of unpaid debt taken against them and most of them are developers.
    http://www.limerickpost.ie/index.php/navigation-mainmenu-30/suckerfish-menu-mainmenu-32/1473-limerick-third-on-court-judgement-value-list.html

Here a firm in Limerick, I never hear of before which is Ripplecom with it's Headquarters in Raheen Business Park. They are in the Fast 50 list and are number 33 in the prestigious league table of the fifty fastest growing technology companies in the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland.
    http://www.limerickpost.ie/index.php/navigation-mainmenu-30/suckerfish-menu-mainmenu-32/2503-limerick-firm-in-fast-50-list.html

It seems Limerick had a smart economy since the 70's with helping to keep the best highly skilled in Ireland thanks to companies like Analog Devices for many years during the last few recessions when emigration was rife. All Limerick needs now is plenty of lower skill jobs to replace Dell Jobs for the rest of the people who do not have third level education.

Advertisement