Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mothertboard upgrade question.

Options
  • 04-01-2011 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭

Hi guys, i hope i am wording my query correctly for you, i am upgrading one of my pc`s with a new motherboard, cpu and memory etc`, the motherboard is from the same maker (MSI) and what i need to know is can i do it without a clean install of the operating system, i am running win 7 64bit.

many thanks, apophis :cool:

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

apophis wrote: »
    Hi guys, i hope i am wording my query correctly for you, i am upgrading one of my pc`s with a new motherboard, cpu and memory etc`, the motherboard is from the same maker (MSI) and what i need to know is can i do it without a clean install of the operating system, i am running win 7 64bit.

many thanks, apophis :cool:

It's 50 50 really. Sometimes the motherboard will automatically detect the OS and reconfigure itself, sometimes it doesnt. It can sometimes rely on which slot you plug the Hard drive into.

I've upgraded 4 times in the last 2 years and had to reinstall Windows twice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

I've had varying amounts of success with it as well... It should work, but be prepared for the worst

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭apophis

thanks for the replies all, if i was to uninstall all my current drivers and let them reinstall with the upgrade would that help with any probable issues.

apophis :cool:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

apophis wrote: »
    thanks for the replies all, if i was to uninstall all my current drivers and let them reinstall with the upgrade would that help with any probable issues.

In theory yeah it would work.

My last upgrade, I didnt uninstall everything, I upgraded the motherboard, cpu, ram. I booted it Windows went into setup (without any discs) and the drivers installed themselves and rebooted without any fuss. All PC configurations are different though, so who knows!

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭apophis

Hey Guys, just posting back with an update, i went ahead and installed the new upgrades as i had planned without uninstalling any drivers at all from the old system, and on first boot up everything went perfectly.
    I can`t say i would recommend this procudure to someone else as it was a bit daunting waiting to see what the outcome would be, but for myself it was a calculated gamble and it worked (this time),

thanks for the input and advice to all,

• Advertisement
Advertisement