Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Desk and chair for study/home office

Options
  • 04-01-2011 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭

Looking to upgrade a desk/workstation and chair at the moment for family in the west (Mayo, but as I swing between Cork and Dublin a lot location isn't a major issue as long as the product is easy enough to transport [e.g. I might struggle with a large pre-assembled desk]), so very interested to see if anyone has spotted anything good around at the moment.

A quick glance online at the usual suspects isn't showing many options for the desk (or at least not that jump out - and given I'll end up using it on visits, keen to go the extra mile for something good). There's a VIKA Amon in IKEA that looks ok (not too sure on the build quality of this for the price, hasn't done enough for me to research it in any detail just yet), but not a 'bargain' (~€80) and hopefully I can find something a little better with some more digging around.

Still need to do a bash of the local B&M places, so not giving up just yet. Ideally it would be a corner unit with a depth of <~120cm and width <~170cm, but if there's a bigger unit it could be accommodated with some changes. A workstation would be fine at the moment (only needs to handle a 22" monitor, desktop and laptop on occasions), but a 'desk' would give more flexibility going forward (e.g. an upgrade to a much larger display) so would probably be better. Obviously keen to get it as cheap as possible (figure of ~€100 in my head), but the value for money is more important than the 'price', iykwim (so if it's 'worth it', happy to increase the budget).
    If anyone has any suggestions/spotted something good recently, I'd be delighted to know.

Also looking to pick up a new chair too.

Having gone through the old threads here, the Berlin high back from Viking Direct looks a good option (although at €44.99 + €5 p&p I'd be hesitant to buy at the minute and hope another of their 'deals' comes along - or given the various prices they list at perhaps someone has a current better offer on the same?).

The other option there is to go a little more and pick up the RS Pro Helsinki (at €82.49 with free p&p, although can't remember how I got that price as the 'normal catalogue' is down as €165), so I'd be interested if anyone has any feedback on a direct comparison between the two.

Any current deals with VD I should be aware of other than the cash back offer with bethrifty?

Very much open to other suggestions/suppliers there on the chair, just said I'd mention what I was looking at currently as a starting point.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jooo

The other option there is to go a little more and pick up the RS Pro Helsinki (at €82.49 with free p&p, although can't remember how I got that price as the 'normal catalogue' is down as €165), so I'd be interested if anyone has any feedback on a direct comparison between the two.

I just called them and they said the the black RS Pro Helsinki is on special offer. i just bought mine for €99 with VAT.

Advertisement