Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Tank - Water Level Indicator

• 04-01-2011 2:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

With all these water shortages I'm thinking it would be handy to have water tank level indicator. The particular problem I have is not with a complete cut off but with reduced pressure. The wife can see mains water from the tap and thinks it's ok to use the tank fed water but the pressure is not high enough to carry it to the storage tank in the attic. If I had an level indicator it would save me getting in and out of the attic.

Anyone used one and could recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

What you could do if you have the room is put another tank on the ground with a pump to pump up to the storage tank when required. To control the pump you use float switch in the attic which swtches on the pump when called for. I have done this in the past when the mains supply was insufficient for the demand and extra storage could not be put in the Attic for weight reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭ray o

Weight is not a problem and I am putting another tank in the attic, I just thought it would be handy to have a water level indicator for these times of year when DCC are restricting the water supply. I had to open two pipes coming from the attic tank to clear two airlocks yesterday evening - this could have been avoided had I known the water level in the tank was low and so stopped the usage until it came back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

An oil watch man could be modified for this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

An oil watch man could be modified for this.

was thinking that myself funily enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

A second tank should give you plenty of capacity, and if you marry them together you wont need to watch them as you wont run out of Water.

• Advertisement

Thanks lads, i'll check out the oil watchman. You would think that the 2nd tank would do but there was 0 pressure all day yesterday so if I had used it as normal I would have ran down a second tank. I have the second tank I will look out for a watchman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

D1gger wrote: »
    I have the second tank I will look out for a watchman.

A word of caution: Another tank of 1000l will add another 1000kg or 1 ton weight bearing on your roof floor. Be very very sure that your house can take this mass.

I appreciate the word of warning. I went with the smaller 60 Litre tank and I will be talking to my carpenter about what I can do to balance the extra load.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Sparkpea

If it was me I would use a WSP1. I use them often for pumps that don't have alot of stored water. Basically its like a small ballcock that sits about 6 inches above the feed out of the tank, once the ballcock drops its wired back to the pump to turn the pump off so it doesn't run dry.

So in your case you could have a motorised valve on the feed out so when the ballcock drops the valve would close so you cannot use anymore water thus preventing airlocks etc.

Salamander water starvation protection kit its called

Advertisement