Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ikea coming to Cork

• 04-01-2011 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭

Not sure if this has been asked already but has anyone else heard the rumours that IKEA are coming to Cork, from what i have heard the Angem site in Carrigtwohill is where they will be situated.

Heard from two different sources.

Can anyone confirm or deny this rumour?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭reverenddave

there's been rumours like that for years
    i've heard mallow killarney limerick waterford youghal mahon point and ballincollig and indeed carrigtwohill

so i wont believe any of it until there is an official announcement from ikea

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭lyndonjones

i've heard mallow killarney limerick waterford youghal mahon point and ballincollig and indeed carrigtwohill

Totally agree but would be nice to have IKEA so close!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,894 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

probably only a rumour

heres an article from the summer and by that stage only Mallow were in concrete talks with Ikea

Carraigtwohil mentioned as something that "would be nice" but thats all.
    (maybe progress happened since the summer)

http://www.corkindependent.com/local-news/local-news/retail-giant-for-cork/

Main thing is that it ISNT on the south ring.
    Mahon point (or Liffey Valley in Dublin) shouldnt have happened along major routes but thats what happens when brown envelopes are a more important part of the planning process than plannning!!

yeah Amgen site would be awesome it's only a 5 minute drive from me

but i dont think amgen would part with the site for less then €50million

i remember they paid €35million ish in 2004 ish and spend a shedload clearing the site and fencing and groundworks

i cant see ikea paying that much for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

but i dont think amgen would part with the site for less then €50million t

I think you should find the site was handed back to the IDA with a €5million cheque to cover the roadworks. :)

• Advertisement

gbee wrote: »
    I think you should find the site was handed back to the IDA with a €5million cheque to cover the roadworks. :)

AH i didn't know that

BRING ON IKEA THEN :D

probably only a rumour

heres an article from the summer and by that stage only Mallow were in concrete talks with Ikea

Carraigtwohil mentioned as something that "would be nice" but thats all.
    (maybe progress happened since the summer)

http://www.corkindependent.com/local-news/local-news/retail-giant-for-cork/

Main thing is that it ISNT on the south ring.
    Mahon point (or Liffey Valley in Dublin) shouldnt have happened along major routes but thats what happens when brown envelopes are a more important part of the planning process than plannning!!

Totally agree re: Mahon point, I know it is slight off the point but the access/ regress from there is woeful, again on Sunday afternoon queueing on the off-ramp for over 20 mins as we all crawl through 3 sets of traffic lights.

Liffey valley in Dublin is not as bad as Mahon, one entrance into the complex - Crazy!!!

gbee wrote: »

Do the IDA own the site so ? If so surely they have little or no interest in losing it to Ikea.

More I think about it the more the infrastructure around the site would have to be developed, the potential traffic it would bring to the area would be a major draw back.

So as it stands it is a distant pipe dream!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

The Carrigtowhill is a non starter as it is deemed too "Cork centric). From what I have been told, it will be in the Mallow area so its can encompass Limerick, Tipp and Clare.

Seems odd though as no way could the roads on the Limerick side of Mallow handle the traffic this would attract.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭star.chaser

i heard they were taking the old terminal at the airport

Zero chance of that happening.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I heard that Clayton Love was selling Douglas Court to them. Though there was also a rumour that they were going into the old Dunnes in Bishopstown.

*These rumours may or may not be total fabrications.

RoverJames wrote: »
    Zero chance of that happening.

Agree not a hope of that happening.

I had heard of Mallow being a possible place also and it would sense, geographically speaking, it would bring in punters from the West as well as the South-West.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭up them Schteps

Ya, Mallow would make sense. An Ikea would need a site similar to the Aldi/Lidl** warehouse along that road.

**I'm not sure what company operates out of it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

Used to work for Ikea doing new store start-ups in the early 90's when they were setting up in the UK. Generally the rule of thumb was that a potential site needed a catchment of ten million people within 30 mins driving to be viable. That said, some outlets are smaller in size and some are franchises, so that rule is flexible. I'd doubt Ikea would put another store in Ireland. Just can't see it being viable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Max001 wrote: »
    Used to work for Ikea doing new store start-ups in the early 90's when they were setting up in the UK. Generally the rule of thumb was that a potential site needed a catchment of ten million people within 30 mins driving to be viable. That said, some outlets are smaller in size and some are franchises, so that rule is flexible. I'd doubt Ikea would put another store in Ireland. Just can't see it being viable.

There are very few places in the world that have 10 million people within a 30min drive. Are you sure your figures are right?
    Id say its more like 1 Million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

I thought it was between Mallow and Mitchelstown

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

going by that there would only be about 7 in all of the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

Bear in mind, I'm tryin to recall from 20 yrs ago ;) It was likely a ten million person catchment within an hour's drive. If you look at the sequencing of the UK store openings, it was Wembley, Warrington, Birmingham....and I forget which came next, but in these cases I'd guess the catchment is roughly 10 million. This approximate rule is still applied judging from the latest proposed store locations in UK. I'd guess the economics are different depending on the exact configuration of the store and the proposed location. There's a fairly wide variation in store sizes and configurations. I'd still bet against an Ikea in Cork. What'd be the population within an hour's drive? 500,000? (if that)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Bear in mind, I'm tryin to recall from 20 yrs ago ;) It was likely a ten million perso What'd be the population within an hour's drive? 500,000? (if that)

100,000 if in Mallow. There is about 500.000 in Cork & County add in Limerick from there and the MY from Dublin is not too far outside an hour to Mallow now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

i would love to see them open in cork, but i doubt they will, people already travel to dublin from all over ireland to shop there so it may not be worth their while opening one down south,

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Given Mallow's rail-link as well, the catchment area of West Cork and Kerry could be included.

bladebrew wrote: »
    i would love to see them open in cork, but i doubt they will, people already travel to dublin from all over ireland to shop there so it may not be worth their while opening one down south,

Hate to admit it but I think you are right, Dublin is only 2.5hours by car from Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Manach wrote: »
    Given Mallow's rail-link as well, the catchment area of West Cork and Kerry could be included.

Who is going to take the train to Ikea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Hogzy wrote: »
    Who is going to take the train to Ikea?

Same fella whose taking the horse to France :pac:

Sorry, could resist! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭scuby

RoverJames wrote: »
    Do the IDA own the site so ? If so surely they have little or no interest in losing it to Ikea.

IDA defo got site back from Amgen, was handed back to them officially a few months ago...

ikea was also discussed on cork politics before, seems to crop every now and again, not sure if it will ever happen tbh

http://corkpolitics.ie/wp/?p=5625

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Ya, Mallow would make sense. An Ikea would need a site similar to the Aldi/Lidl** warehouse along that road.

**I'm not sure what company operates out of it.....

The one near Charleville??

could put it where the old sugar factory is, build the Mallow west complex (if that will ever happen) around it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭peteandjenn

http://breakingnews.iol.ie/news/business/ikea-hold-preliminary-talks-with-mallow-council-467441.html

They are in planning of building a motorway from Cork to Limerick and more than likely the Ikea store will be built in the old sugar factory site. As Mallow is the crossroads of munster it would have costomers from Kerry, Cork and Limerick. There would be easy access from this new motorway to and from the old sugar factory site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I can't see the logic of Mallow, but no doubt brown paper envelopes are being prepped as we speak. Roads in and out of Mallow are a disaster, even the roads IN Mallow are a disaster with the light traffic it services. Add a motorway onto that, and you're going to be funnelling in heavy traffic onto small rural town roads and it'll end in tears. And IKEA would love the extra hassle getting deliveries/etc will be being in Mallow as opposed to Cork.

The Amgen site is logically the most sound, but since when has that ever meant anything planning/decision wise in this country? Cork has a good catchment - Limerick/Kerry/Waterford/Tipp are all close, plus there's the RoRo Ferry Service from Ringaskiddy for restocking purposes too. The Dual Carriageway already in place would ease traffic flow compared to Mallow.

Advertisement