Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ikea coming to Cork

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,668 ✭✭✭cgcsb

blindsider wrote: »
    Unfortunately, it seems that an IKEA store would not get planning permission in Munster. Their stores are larger than normal and I believe the Dublin store had to get a dispensation to build. Other stores e.g. B&Q are similarly ham-strung.

Although planning restrictions have now been lifted, I believe that the list of potential objectors is off-putting.

It's a crying shame!

The Ballymun store has to provide bus facilities on site and bus transfers to the Ballymun metro station as part of it's planning permission, there is no metro station at present so they got off on that one fairly lightly on that one. This condition sets a precedent, it is likely a new store of the same size will be required to have some sort of rail access especially in Cork(terrible bus system). On that basis, Mallow sticks out as a good option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

cgcsb wrote: »
    The Ballymun store has to provide bus facilities on site and bus transfers to the Ballymun metro station as part of it's planning permission, there is no metro station at present so they got off on that one fairly lightly on that one. This condition sets a precedent, it is likely a new store of the same size will be required to have some sort of rail access especially in Cork(terrible bus system). On that basis, Mallow sticks out as a good option.

Seems a bit daft to have a load of people on a train carrying huge boxes of flat-pack furniture .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,668 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Hogzy wrote: »
    Seems a bit daft to have a load of people on a train carrying huge boxes of flat-pack furniture .

some people choose to have bulky items delvered also there are plenty of Ikea shoppers that buy a few non bulky items.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 cocox

I doubt it's true, but still it would be wonderful if it was! They have great products..well better than argos. The effort of travelling to Dublin to get a wardrobe!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

It would be great if they did come here! I hate giving my money to Argos..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Hogzy wrote: »
    Id say its more the fact that a store of this size would have to be built in an area zoned for industrial/commercial builds. Finding a site large enough in such a zoned area would be very hard in places like Cork or Limerick.

I'm not sure it would. Considering the size of Cork, Cork is probably a more industrial city than Dublin. Plenty of locations around the city which would be suitable for IKEA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

who_me wrote: »
    3 year old thread! :)

But your're right - Ikea are now looking at putting a second store in Dublin. So why not in Cork/Munster?

They were turned down for permission to open a second store last week.

Planning permission denied for second Dublin IKEA store

Swedish furniture giant IKEA has been blocked from building a massive new store at Cherrywood in south Dublin.

The compnay [sic] had wanted planning permission amended to allow it construct a flag-ship outlet, with 1,500 car parking spaces.

Following a long hearing, An Bord Pleanála has ruled it will not alter a current masterplan for the area to allow for a large-scale warehouse store.

If the plan got the go ahead, it would have created 400 jobs. IKEA already has stores in Ballymun and Belfast.

Cherrywood resident and Green Party spokesperson on Transport, Tom Kivlehan, says Dublin does not need a second IKEA outlet.

http://newstalk.ie/Planning-permission-denied-for-second-Dublin-IKEA-store

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Frog Song

Ah I got all excited when I saw the title! :( Wishful thinking, I fear we will be waiting.

Ikea would do so well in Cork. Or Limerick, somewhere in Munster at least, it just makes sense!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

Back on the cards?

http://www.eveningecho.ie/cork-news/ikea-scouting-locations-cork-store/2526562/

My bet is still the Amgen site - their own train stop may be a unique selling point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

The Amgen site makes most sense alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Nukem wrote: »
    Back on the cards?

http://www.eveningecho.ie/cork-news/ikea-scouting-locations-cork-store/2526562/

My bet is still the Amgen site - their own train stop may be a unique selling point

Can't imagine it'll fun trying to get a load of flat packs home on the train.

Amgen would make most sense though with the road links.
    Talk of Blarney too, the business park is would make the most sense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭snotboogie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

that's not surprising, I think it would wipe a few places out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Dbu

razorblunt wrote: »
    The Amgen site makes most sense alright.

I suppose the Atlantic homecare site in Pouladuff is too small:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

evilivor wrote: »
    They were turned down for permission to open a second store last week.

Planning permission denied for second Dublin IKEA store

Swedish furniture giant IKEA has been blocked from building a massive new store at Cherrywood in south Dublin.

The compnay [sic] had wanted planning permission amended to allow it construct a flag-ship outlet, with 1,500 car parking spaces.

Following a long hearing, An Bord Pleanála has ruled it will not alter a current masterplan for the area to allow for a large-scale warehouse store.

If the plan got the go ahead, it would have created 400 jobs. IKEA already has stores in Ballymun and Belfast.

Cherrywood resident and Green Party spokesperson on Transport, Tom Kivlehan, says Dublin does not need a second IKEA outlet.

http://newstalk.ie/Planning-permission-denied-for-second-Dublin-IKEA-store

Opening soon in Cherrywood (albeit on a much scaled down level), more of a showroom than a store, might happen in Cork - IKEA are persistent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,026 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

vicwatson wrote: »
    Opening soon in Cherrywood (albeit on a much scaled down level), more of a showroom than a store, might happen in Cork - IKEA are persistent.

already open (yesterday) in Carrickmines - it's an "Order and Collect" store. Currently you have to go in, order your stuff, then go back the next day to pick it up (with a €15 collection charge). Which is a pretty crappy concept IMO.

I note in the UK Order and Collect stores you can email them a list, then they ring you to confirm and take your payment over the phone; which is better, but not much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

Can't imagine it'll fun trying to get a load of flat packs home on the train

Never seems to deter the people in Dublin when getting on the bus outside the store. Besides, when has practicality ever got in the way of a nice selling point :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

loyatemu wrote: »
    already open (yesterday) in Carrickmines - it's an "Order and Collect" store. Currently you have to go in, order your stuff, then go back the next day to pick it up (with a €15 collection charge). Which is a pretty crappy concept IMO.

I note in the UK Order and Collect stores you can email them a list, then they ring you to confirm and take your payment over the phone; which is better, but not much.

My bad I meant carrickmines

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Can't imagine it'll fun trying to get a load of flat packs home on the train.

Amgen would make most sense though with the road links.
    Talk of Blarney too, the business park is would make the most sense[/quote.

It definitely won't be Blarney.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

Oh god no!
    Life will never be the same if the wife has easy access to an Ikea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Oh god no!
    Life will never be the same if the wife has easy access to an Ikea.

I share your sentiment, Argos is bad enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭Pitcairn

I reckon if Cork does get an IKEA it will be a scale-down version like they have in Carrickmines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

This article today quotes IKEA saying they have no plans for a store in Cork at the moment.Where the hell do the Examiner get their (false) information.

https://fora.ie/ikea-new-store-ireland-3813116-Jan2018/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Ikea’s spokeswoman said the company is “always looking for opportunities and are investigating the potential for a second store in the market, specifically in Cork”.

“However, we have no confirmed plans for the development of an Ikea store at the moment.”

It says theyre investigating, not that they've never thought of it...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I know the Angem site was mentioned before but it would it be the best place for a potential Cork Ikea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭snotboogie

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I know the Angem site was mentioned before but it would it be the best place for a potential Cork Ikea?
    It was specifically mentioned in that the Ikea would not be locating there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭ouxbbkqtswdfaw

What's the big deal with ikea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭.red.

What's the big deal with ikea?

Meatballs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,315 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

GavRedKing wrote: »

The site being mentioned is in Carrigtwohill but it isn't the Amgen site. It's over by Fota Retail Park.

Good location. Close to major road infrastructure and a train line and still very close to the city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Rooy

Rumors/news reports seem to surface every 12-18 months that they are coming to Cork , wont believe it myself until something official from Ikea at this stage.

Advertisement