Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grass killer

Options
  • 04-01-2011 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm sowing a new lawn in the spring and want to kill off all the current grass and weeds now before turning the sod.

Can anyone recommend a good grass and weed killer to do this?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Hi,

I'm sowing a new lawn in the spring and want to kill off all the current grass and weeds now before turning the sod.

Can anyone recommend a good grass and weed killer to do this?

Thanks

Roundup or any of its Glyphosate brothers (gallop, buggy etc) will do a good job on it all. You'll get it in your local hardware/garden centre type places.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i may be wrong on this, but since the grass is dormant, it won't take up the weedkiller very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

i may be wrong on this, but since the grass is dormant, it won't take up the weedkiller very well.

It will work - just slower than if it was put on during a faster growth period.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭blackharvester

if you kill your weeds and grass now you will have to do it again few weeks before you put new grass seeds, because some weeds will come back before the spring comes

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

if you kill your weeds and grass now you will have to do it again few weeks before you put new grass seeds, because some weeds will come back before the spring comes

If you get a mild dry period you could spray a glyphosate type killer, it will take a lot longer to affect the weeds, and treat again in the spring prior to sowing the new lawn, double your chances of killing the more persistent
    weeds

• Advertisement
Advertisement