Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MATCH THREAD: Man Utd v Stoke (20:00)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

I think this will be a tough game, 1-0 at half time and 3-0 at full time. berbatov to score twice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

TheDoc wrote: »
    This is not on TV,?

Lads in work saying in it, can anyone confirm ?
    not on any irish or english tv but there will be loads of streams about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

TheDoc wrote: »
    This is not on TV,?

Lads in work saying in it, can anyone confirm ?

It's on Fox Soccer Network. Expect plenty of streams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

SOP it to me baby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,469 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

hearing worrying things regarding team news for this game.

VDS out - Kuszczak in.... a keeper horrid on crosses playing vs Stoke, oh no!!

Also hearing that Rio, Evra and Anderson might be getting rested with Rooney also missing out (apparently ok'ish to play but being kept aside so that he doesn't do further damage with the Liverpool game at the weekend).

Based on that, I would say the team could be...

..........Kuszczak
    Raf...Smalling..Vidic..Fabio
    Nani..Carrick..Fletcher..Giggs (or Obertan)
    ........Chico..Berbatov.

Anyone know if Scholes and Giggs are fit for tonights game?

It is the back 5 I am most worried about though. Kuszczak in goal is bad enough but without Rio in the backline I would worry about the lack of communication and organisation at the back. I do really like Smalling and I think he could be an excellent defender for us long term, but I am just not sure he will be ready for a game like we could have tonight.

Basically, I worry about the lack of experience/leadership at the back if Raf, Smalling and Fabio start.

Rio just tweeted this...

Being resed tonight tweeps. Hate missing games for any reason but our boss is the best in the biz so knows best. I will be cheering lads on!

http://twitter.com/rioferdy5

United team Kus, Rafael, Vidic, Smalling, Evra, Nani, Fletch, Gibson, Giggs, Berba, Chicho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,951 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Gibson?!

GGRRR!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Not happy at all with that team tbh. Hope they surprise me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

Oh Jesus christ. Gibson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Thats an alright team. Can't see a problem with beating Stoke if they perform as they should.

mars bar wrote: »
    Gibson?!

GGRRR!!

My thoughts exactly . Hope he proves us wrong .

United team Kus, Rafael, Vidic, Smalling, Evra, Nani, Fletch, Gibson, Giggs, Berba, Chicho

Bench: Amos, Owen, Anderson, Carrick, Fabio, Obertan, Evans

(not confirmed, doing the 'rounds on Twitter/forums)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

That team will do the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Why Gibson ahead of Anderson? Suppose if we need a burst of energy and pace at 65 mins, I'd rather have Ando to bring in than Gibbo...

Good team anyway, capable of winning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Oh no. Gibson. :(

Why isn't Ando starting instead?

Rooney10 wrote: »
    Oh no. Gibson. :(

Why isn't Ando starting instead?

He's played a lot of football lately, makes sense to leave him on the bench and bring him on if required.

Thought his form dipped a bit in the last two games.

mars bar wrote: »
    Gibson?!

GGRRR!!

Depends how Stoke play.

First off, the rest of the line up would suggest Gibson will at least be in the centre so Gibbo won't be screwing up the width (or lack there of) the side.

Secondly, if Stoke sit back and try to defend for the 90, as they have done in the past, Gibson will represent a real goal scoring threat from the midfield, which we generally don't have - this will mean the Stoke players can't just sit in the box (as is generally a good way of defending against United) so this could in turn provide more space around the edge of the area as the stoke players move to close Gibson down.

Thirdly, Gibson can put in very good performance - Bayern at home last season was a great performance from him, for the most part.

Overally, I am happy enough with the side. We have natural width with Giggs and Nani (missed that massively vs Brum and West Brom). Two forwards I think could work very well together. Our first choice full backs. My biggest issue is Smalling and Kuszczak in the back 5. Lack of leadership and organisation there. Kuszczak stinks on crosses too.

I'm not actually concerned about Gibson starting in the centre - i think Stoke at home, on paper, is one of the games that Gibson is practically perfect for (or should be best suited to).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Gibson starting with Anderson and Carrick on the bench?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Ando does need a rest in fairness.

• Advertisement

smokedeels wrote: »
    He's played a lot of football lately, makes sense to leave him on the bench and bring him on if required.

Indeed - his stamina is generally fairly crap; he consistently knackers himself out by about 70mins. Was always a decent chance Ando was going to be kept for the Liverpool game at the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

To be fair to Ando. He's played and started tbe last 9 games I think. Fergie speaks glowingly of him in the programme notes. Says if he adds goals to his game he'll be an amazing player. Hopes he is the long term replacement for Scholsey. (Gotten from Ben Hibbs earlier ;) )

I hope Gibson proves us wrong. But that is a central midfield pairing woefully out of form. Fletch has been bad the last few games.

#MUFC subs: Amos, Owen, Anderson, Carrick, Fabio, J.Evans, Obertan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Begovic; Wilkinson, Shawcross, Huth, Collins; Delap, Wilson, Whitehead, Etherington; Tuncay; Jones.

Could we be playing a 4-3-3 maybe ? Prob fall back into that shape when we lose the ball

Could we be playing a 4-3-3 maybe ? Prob fall back into that shape when we lose the ball

Doubt it.

IMO, I can't see why Fergie would name that 11 and not play them as a 442.

In terms of recognised positions - we have two strikers, 2 wingers and 2 central midfielders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

OptaJoe wrote:
    41 - Manchester United have not lost any of the last 41 PL games in which Nani has started, a run dating back to April 2008. Return.

Good omen so.

Doubt it.

IMO, I can't see why Fergie would name that 11 and not play them as a 442.

In terms of recognised positions - we have two strikers, 2 wingers and 2 central midfielders.

Giggs can play centre midfield and chicharito has played on the left wing although he didn't do too well . If Stoke are running the midfield I'd say we might go that way for awhile

Giggs can play centre midfield and chicharito has played on the left wing although he didn't do too well . If Stoke are running the midfield I'd say we might go that way for awhile

i REALLY hope a midfield of Delap, Whitehead and Wilson isn't capable of running the midfield vs United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,434 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Gibson was better than Anderson in the last 2 games. Also all last season (I'm aware Anderson was injured for some of it). Really don't get all the hate that he gets. Guess with Carrick playing well people need someone to moan about...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Im glad Fuller isnt playing. I think hes very underrated, such a handful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Liam O wrote: »
    Gibson was better than Anderson in the last 2 games. Also all last season (I'm aware Anderson was injured for some of it). Really don't get all the hate that he gets. Guess with Carrick playing well people need someone to moan about...

He doesnt reallly offer anything to the team. His "terrific shot" is over-hyped. He gets too far ahead of the play for a central midfielder and is then forced to sprint full out to gett back and cover when it inevitably breaks down. When he drops to give a pass deep in our half he then stands there hands on hips waiting for someone else to move and get the ball instead of making space himself. They really are basic things that he should have picked up on and, unfortunately, at this stage I don't see him being able to do so.

This game can't come any quicker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Anyone got a link for sopcast in English? Going through myp2p and cant seem to find one.

cheers...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

that team should be well capable of beating Stoke.looking forward to seeing how Smalling does tonight against the type of game stoke play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,431 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Liam O wrote: »

Is he?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

could be a very tough game and we get a 1.0 or even draw this game OR we could win this game 3 or 4 nil.
    all depends on how so many changes affect the team.
    i never like to see more than 3 changes.

people here giving Gibson a very hard time,i know i posted here a while back that he is not good enough and should be sold but i would still support the lad.
    he is not a bad player just not good enough for Utds MF imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,951 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Yes, yes he is.

roryc wrote: »
    Anyone got a link for sopcast in English? Going through myp2p and cant seem to find one.

cheers...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

cheers...

Plenty links here!

cheers...
    82153 usually is english but it seems to be on the spanish fox at the moment so may change

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,431 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Ah come off it, playing well compared to last two seasons maybe, but nowhere near his best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Jones against Smalling is what ye need to worry about.

yes, he is

JPA wrote: »
    Jones against Smalling is what ye need to worry about.

with just one up top, I would hope the United centre backs can position themselves well enough so that it is predominately Vidic going up vs Jones - though Smalling is a big lad himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

O.G will make a comeback for Man Utd tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Pretty confident despite the team, we've been pretty darn excellent at home.

anyone have a net based English stream? Can't use streaming apps, so need site based stream

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Stokes

anyone have a net based English stream? Can't use streaming apps, so need site based stream

http://www.futbolgrande2010.blogspot.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭bantee

http://www.firstrow.net/watch/43843/1/watch-manchester-united-vs-stoke-city.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement