Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just moved into and Apartment. need help

Options
  • 04-01-2011 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi,
    I moved into an apartment with my girlfriend 2 months ago. As the apt was located near the train tracks I inquired about the noise levels. I was informed by the letting agent that this was not an issue and signed the lease. It is and issue and you can never getting a decent sleep till the last train and the first train. 12-6.30am
    My main problem though is with the furnishing of the place. We viewed the apt twice and it all looked lovely but the beds are extremely uncomfortable as well as the couches.
    As we have signed a year lease i think we are stuck for the next 10 mths.

I suppose i need to know the following:
    Is there a way of getting out of the lease or if not do i just have to ask the landlord to buy new furniture and hope she says yes?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

They're not grounds to get out of your lease

You could ask the landlord about new furniture, no harm in ever asking. Bear in mind though that new bed(s) and new couches are an awful lot of money and a lot to be asking for.

Why don't you buy a memory foam matress topper for the bed? You can get them in argos and they can work a treat. You can take it with you if you move out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

As you say, it's not grounds to get out of the lease. The LA seems to have been fibbing about the noise, but then, noise is very subjective.

As to furniture, if it's in good working order I doubt you'll get the landlord to buy new (especially as you viewed twice and could have tried it out), though no harm in asking. Another option might be to ask would the lanrdlord store his furniture if you are willing to buy your own (which you can then take with you when you move on).

Advertisement