Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gunpoint robberies in Waterford last week?

• 04-01-2011 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭

Apparently a bookies, an Xtravision and a chipper were all robbed @ gunpoint last week, all in Lismore and Cleaboy. Anyone know anything about this? From the sounds of it, it's the same crowd.
    Not being a nosyparker...well I am. But I'm usually the one who forgets to set the alarm before leaving the house, so maybe the fear of God might remind me to do it in future!

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

Apparently a bookies, an Xtravision and a chipper were all robbed @ gunpoint last week, all in Lismore and Cleaboy. Anyone know anything about this? From the sounds of it, it's the same crowd.
    Not being a nosyparker...well I am. But I'm usually the one who forgets to set the alarm before leaving the house, so maybe the fear of God might remind me to do it in future!

That was back in October.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056054920&highlight=robbery

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭dashboard_hula

...and that's what you get for believing what someone says to you straight away!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

Sawn off shotgun used in robbery of Bookies. Less than 20 yards from my house, comforting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

• Advertisement

^ My mistake sorry OP,i thought you were thinking of what happened in October.

Didnt know all that happened again last week.

Bards wrote: »

That story doesnt say anything about people been arrested,but at the end of it, it says "The men have been released without charge and a file is being prepared for the Director of Public Prosecutions. " :confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

That story doesnt say anything about people been arrested,but at the end of it, it says "The men have been released without charge and a file is being prepared for the Director of Public Prosecutions. " :confused::confused:

It does yeah. It said two men were arrested in relation to the Ladbrokes and Portlaw robberies. 99% sure I was in the Amber about half an hour before that incident!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Crazy, that's all I can say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭1967

Unfortunately its going to get more and more prevalent with the drug problem or specifically heroin problem that has hit the city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

1967 wrote: »
    Unfortunately its going to get more and more prevalent with the drug problem or specifically heroin problem that has hit the city.

+ further cuts in welfare rates this week and more to come next January all to bail out the banks:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

been 3 attacks in the last week alone round 2am students were attacked last week and last nite a guy was beaten unconcious and mugged, would froze to death only for someone found him.
    attacker same description was dark guy with hoodie pulled up....

Hoffmans wrote: »
    been 3 attacks in the last week alone round 2am students were attacked last week and last nite a guy was beaten unconcious and mugged, would froze to death only for someone found him.
    attacker same description was dark guy with hoodie pulled up....

Have you anything to backup them claims?,the students aren't back yet,and they definitely weren't back last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭south

Have you anything to backup them claims?,the students aren't back yet,and they definitely weren't back last week.

Gardai investigate attack in Johnstown
    Fri, 07 Jan 2011 12:15:58 GMT
    A 22 year old man was hospitalised early this morning following an attack in Waterford City.The man was walking home alone from the John Street area at around 3am this morning.In the Ballytruckle area he was attacked from behind and received bruising to his head, face, and upper torso. The man was unconious for some time and his wallet and mobile phone taken.His attacked is described as a black man, five foot ten in height, medium build wearing a lot of gold jewellery.Any witnesses are asked to contact gardai on 051-305300

I take it that is from wlr, doesn't say anything about him been a student though.

http://www.wlrfm.com/NewsSport.aspx

yes it was and no it doesn't. i've also heard of a few attacks happening down around the boat club/park area the last few weeks. A worker from Pa Pa Thai was attacked after leaving work and someone leaving the hotel was about to be only for his taxi pulled up.

south wrote: »
    yes it was and no it doesn't. i've also heard of a few attacks happening down around the boat club/park area the last few weeks. A worker from Pa Pa Thai was attacked after leaving work and someone leaving the hotel was about to be only for his taxi pulled up.

I'm sorry but can you explain what you mean by, yes it was and no it doesn't?

Sorry I was referring to your question about the report coming from wlr and about it not mentioning anything about students.

Sorry I was referring to your question about the report coming from wlr and about it not mentioning anything about students.

I can see its going to be a bad year for Waterford if these attacks keep happening,it seems to be getting worse now and we are only in the first week of 2011,lets hope the Gardai pull the finger out and clamp down on this before the Tall Ships Race.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

So guns now bein used instead of knifes only a matter of time before some of these guns get used and probably kill some innocent bystander.......:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

jo06555 wrote: »
    So guns now bein used instead of knifes only a matter of time before some of these guns get used and probably kill some innocent bystander.......:mad:

Yeah it's strange to think of Waterford as a dangerous place but that's what it's become now. I'm originally from Hillview and never thought anything of walking alone late at night. And now that I live out the Dunmore Road I'd often walk up by the Mansion to get a taxi after a night out but now I'd have to think very seriously about either of those things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I have to say I'd agree with nkay,

When I was in WIT from '02 you'd hear of Students getting jumped on etc (not very often) but you'd think nothing of even walking back to Lismore park if you were broke after a night out. Now I think you'd be out of your mind to try it.

That aside, it's the guns that worry me. People will sadly always get jumped and set on but how many times can you think of on the last 10 years that guns were used in a crime say past the last 18 months or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭angry_fox

what doesint help either is the type of airsoft guns that are available in the likes of Funk It.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Was in town with dad yesterday and he was chattin away to one of the lads he knew. Yer man headed off and dad comes over and goes
    Dad: "Jaysus what would you do eh?"
    Me: "With what?"
    Dad: "Himself was in work last week in the bookies and had a shotgun aimed at his head while they robbed the place."
    Me: "....:eek:..."
    Dad: "...yeah...he said he'll meet us in the gingerman later anyway for food."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

angry_fox wrote: »
    what doesint help either is the type of airsoft guns that are available in the likes of Funk It.

Are you seriously out on a feckin wind up! Off to Joe Duffy with ya and you can have a go with all the other lunatics making mountains out of molehills. This stupid point you have made was brought up on a 2fm programme there recently and was shot down (pardon the pun) by those who were opposed to banning the sale of replicas.
    I could walk in to a petrol station right now with the end of a pipe out of my jacket and demand money and who's going to risk that it's not a shotgun. If I walk in with a replica AK47, they won't take a chance either (they might think I'm with the Real IRA robbing a chipper :P) You don't have to go paying 200 quid in Funk It to get a fake gun to rob a chipper or a bookies and no matter what you have whether it be your finger in your coat pocket, a fake gun from Funk It or a sawn off shotgun you will get the same time for pretending to have a weapon as actually having one.

Funk It aren't selling heroin or putting people out of jobs or cutting dole, that's whats causing robberies and not fake guns for fup sake!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

leaving all the hot air about airsoft aside ,

this nocturnal predator is striking between 2-4 am think people should be wide walkin anywher alone from manor street to canada street where he has struck on least 4 occasions over the past three weeks....

fingers crossed he might walk into one them garda road revenue checkpoints , it seems the only way they may catch him :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

this nocturnal predator is striking between 2-4 am think people should be wide walkin anywher alone from manor street to canada street where he has struck on least 4 occasions over the past three weeks....

fingers crossed he might walk into one them garda road revenue checkpoints , it seems the only way they may catch him :rolleyes:

Im all for setting a trap get a young garda to walk out the road and see will anyone go for it
    or better still get a ban garda put her in a short mini-skirt and put a sub machinegun in her purse...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

Sorry if im confused but I have read the thread and dont understand what happened on Manor Street, Me and my partner live there and just wanted to know, I dont feel safe now:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 i hate mondays

Hi,
    I know this guy and it is quite severe. It happened around 10.00 p.m on Scotch quay 6th Dec. There was 2 people hiding on a corner. A female was keeping lookout and a male jumped out at him with an iron bar and hit him in the face. He was sent to James' hospial in Dublin with multiple breaks in his face. He now has titanium plates in his face and has heard nothing back from Gardai.
    The area needs to be lit up a lot better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Vigilante time!

Advertisement