Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco No Quibble Policy - Yeah right !

Options
  • 04-01-2011 4:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭

Item is overpriced at the scanner.
    You point out the error before paying.
    They change the price.
    You quibble.
    You get nowhere.

That was my experience today.

Here's the best bit.
    In order to get the item for free, as per their policy, you have to trust Tesco and knowingly pay them the wrong price, then make your claim.

Bloody daft.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

errrr yes ... always pay the price first .. then walk to customer services and get the item for free .

I get about 1 item free every 2 weeks , I have NEVER EVER had an argument
    ( and no I have nothing to do with Tesco ).

Now if you query before paying , they typcially give you the lower price and that's it.

It's one of the few things that Tesco are very good about to be fair to them.

My brother actually got a tank of free petrol ( in the UK ) because they were displaying the wrong price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Pal wrote: »
    In order to get the item for free, as per their policy, you have to trust Tesco and knowingly pay them the wrong price, then make your claim.

That's how the policy works, why would it be any different? By pointing out the error before paying, you get to pay the correct price. If you had brought your purchase to the customer service desk, showing the wrong price paid, they would refund your full amount.

This doesn't always work though, and some branches will try to tell you there's nothing they can do, or they might just refund the over paid amount. It seems to vary, but the no quibble refund policy is applied across all Tesco stores, but only applies after you pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

Davidth88 wrote: »

Now if you query before paying , they typcially give you the lower price and that's it.

So if you bring the error to their attention, you are being honest.

Alternatively, on planet Tesco, you should accept you are in a compromised situation, stay dumb, dishonestly pay the wrong amount and bingo, you get it free.

Tell you what. No thanks. I'm not up for that. Methinks Pal's policy will be shop somewhere else next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

well if they fix the price before you pay they havent over charged you - nothing to quibble about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

well if they fix the price before you pay they havent over charged you - nothing to quibble about.

Exactly

TBH, I think it's one of the better things about Tesco.

I often pay first ( yes I have to bite my tongue sometimes ) , then I walk back into the shop , double check the shelf against the receipt , then to customer services ( queuing behind the people buying fags ) and I get my money back , item for free.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭DickyC

Alternatively, on planet Tesco, you should accept you are in a compromised situation, stay dumb, dishonestly pay the wrong amount and bingo, you get it free.

Tell you what. No thanks. I'm not up for that. Methinks Pal's policy will be shop somewhere else next time.

How could you expect to get any item for free when all you done was bring the discrepancy to their attention before you paid for it. Pay first then make your case, Read this and you might not feel so guilty and remember "Every Little Helps"

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/1103/1224282560226.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

They change the price.
    You quibble.
    You get nowhere.

Here's the best bit.

Bloody daft.

What was the item? doing my shopping in the morning!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

happened with my fiances mother, she was paying for books that were mis-priced but mentioned it before paying even though i was trying to give her the billy to say nothing in order to get them for free after the transaction. she didnt and ended up just paying the individual price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

happened with my fiances mother, she was paying for books that were mis-priced but mentioned it before paying even though i

rookie mistake

OP, you pay for the items and then go to customer service. The policy is clear, it is not bloody daft

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

People need to get out more.

The policy is to ease the pain of being genuinely wronged - if you notice the error at the checkout then you haven't really been wronged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

They change the price.
    You quibble.
    You get nowhere.

Here's the best bit.

Bloody daft.

No contract till you handed over cash.
    Jesus, imagine the amount of hobos walking around tescos if this was the case .

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭busman

I think you misunderstood the policy.

The No Quibble part applies to you, not Tesco. :D

Like you, I did the same once!
    Now I go with the program.
    Often returning for seconds tongue.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

So to get this right, you're pissed off because you notified Tesco of an error, they quickly and correctly rectified it and charged you at the correct price, but because they didn't give you a free item for doing them the courtesy of notifying them of the incorrect price before you had handed over any cash, you'll shop somewhere else? Get a grip.

Seriously, I hate Tesco and will happily criticise them but I don't see your issue here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

I think the problem here is wording.

You can only get a REFUND after you've paid for something. If you bring their attention to the problem before you pay, then how can you get a refund?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

busman wrote: »
    I think you misunderstood the policy.

The No Quibble part applies to you, not Tesco. :D

Like you, I did the same once!
    Now I go with the program.
    Often returning for seconds tongue.gif

Maybe it's just me but to not point out a mistake in order to get a product for nothing is just dishonest. To go back for seconds, knowing there is an error on the part of the seller, is theft in my book.

Fey! wrote: »
    I think the problem here is wording.

You can only get a REFUND after you've paid for something. If you bring their attention to the problem before you pay, then how can you get a refund?

Here is the actual wording from Tesco.ie

No Quibble Policy
    Our "No Quibble Policy" is our way of showing customers that we always charge the right prices in our stores. It states that: "in the unlikely event of you being charged a price at the checkouts that is higher that the price mounted on the display, we will give you that item absolutely free and without quibble".

To me the word "charged" is the important one.

They do not say what you 'pay'

but what you are 'charged'
    To me when they scan an item and the price is then displayed that is what I'm been 'charged'.

Back to my link above which is there "Corporate Social Responsibility policy" (CSR)

Customers are at the heart of everything we do. CSR is good for our business and good for the communities where we operate. By building goodwill and trust with our customers, we can earn their lifetime loyalty, which is our core purpose.

So what they are saying with their policy is that if they make a mistake and you spot it before handing over your hard earned cash, well then, it wasn't our mistake after all and all prices are correct all of the time!!
    So to build goodwill and trust you must stay silent, pay up, then go get if for free because only then will we admit our mistake :rolleyes:

A bit messed up if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,083 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I see it as a prize for spotting their non-deliberate mistake, and like any competition, you don't get the prize if you haven't complied with the t&cs.

It wasn't Tesco's fault that you didn't comply, so refusing to shop there again is a bit daft.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Bella mamma

I got a tin of their own brand tuna for........can't remember...............about 50 cent and twas inedible. Brought it back and the Customer Service Rep said "Well, what can you expect for 50 cent??". Classic!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I got a tin of their own brand tuna for........can't remember...............about 50 cent and twas inedible. Brought it back and the Customer Service Rep said "Well, what can you expect for 50 cent??". Classic!

You'd get the same response here. Respect to the Tesco cashier.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

No Quibble Policy
    Our "No Quibble Policy" is our way of showing customers that we always charge the right prices in our stores. It states that: "in the unlikely event of you being charged a price at the checkouts that is higher that the price mounted on the display, we will give you that item absolutely free and without quibble".

To me when they scan an item and the price is then displayed that is what I'm been 'charged'.

You have not been charged for anything unless payment completes the purchase.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Is it my imagination or are some people moaning about the smallest thing possible just to have a moan.

And unless a policy is exactly to their liking, then its wrong no matter how ridiculous their opinion is?

I've had half a dozen eejits on the phone / email to me this week moaning about a product and they hadn't even bought it from me! - They thought because I stocked it and came up first on google that i should deal with it.

arrrggghhh

• Registered Users Posts: 24,083 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

91011 wrote: »
    Is it my imagination or are some people moaning about the smallest thing possible just to have a moan.

And unless a policy is exactly to their liking, then its wrong no matter how ridiculous their opinion is?

I've had half a dozen eejits on the phone / email to me this week moaning about a product and they hadn't even bought it from me! - They thought because I stocked it and came up first on google that i should deal with it.

arrrggghhh

It's your job to keep the customers happy, even if they're not yours.:P

arrrggghhh

Getting off topic on this, but it must be that my brain works in a different way?

If I were me I would be delighted that 6 customers of a competitor rang me up out of the blue complaining!
    I would be working out how to impress them and turn them into my customers!
    I would not be referring to them as eejits, but like I said, maybe that only me :D

Edit: See that ejmaztec thinks on the same lines :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭DickyC

arrrggghhh

I know it is off topic, but you really should be looking into new forms of advertising if the "half dozen eejits" bought elsewhere. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Maybe it's just me but to not point out a mistake in order to get a product for nothing is just dishonest. To go back for seconds, knowing there is an error on the part of the seller, is theft in my book.

Not in my books tbh. If the shop sets out these rules and you get freebies by following said rules it can hardly be theft.

Edit -

I know it may be a grey moral ground but how often are posters jumped on when shops set rules that are morally grey and enforce them?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I don't pay attention to what's being scanned at the till as I'm busy packing my shopping away in order to get clear for the next customer. I always check my receipt before I leave the store to make sure it's OK.

If the shop was doing their job they should send someone over to correct the price as soon as they are informed, it's against the law to display an incorrect price, and not leave it there for several hours to overcharge other customers. The way I see it is that most people don't check the prices and so are being overcharged on the item, if I get it free a few times it's karma.

For several weeks a paper I buy was miss priced and I got it for free every week. If they can't can't be bothered to fix the price after I've told them it's not my problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I always check the receipt before leaving the store, and often had cause to bring something to Tesco's attention after seeing one price on the shelf and being charged another at the till. In fact, on one occasion I got back E25 AND the goods after several discrepancies were spotted.

Tesco are usually very good though and after checking the price usually refund.

Today, I bought two packets of Cheddars. The shelf price said E5:eek::eek::eek: which clearly wasn't correct. Checked it again on the price checker - same price. So I went to the till, explained I wanted the biscuits, but the price clearly wasn't correct. Could he call a supervisor? The till operator toddled off, came back with a packet of Tesco's crackers and scanned that twice. Got my biscuits for E1.60 which is a little more palatable (sorry!:P) than the original E5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

ejmaztec wrote: »
    It's your job to keep the customers happy, even if they're not yours.:P
    Getting off topic on this, but it must be that my brain works in a different way?

If I were me I would be delighted that 6 customers of a competitor rang me up out of the blue complaining!
    I would be working out how to impress them and turn them into my customers!
    I would not be referring to them as eejits, but like I said, maybe that only me :D

Edit: See that ejmaztec thinks on the same lines :-)

Don't worry, I dealt with them all terribly nicely and offered to replace the products of 2 of them who are localish. 3 others were using it incorrectly and the 6th was just bonkers.
    DickyC wrote: »
    I know it is off topic, but you really should be looking into new forms of advertising if the "half dozen eejits" bought elsewhere. :)

As it a major worldwide brand with Irish sales of €20m+, I can't really get all the business - but I do try:D. By end of this year I'll have excess of 5% of Irish sales - not bad considering its only 15 months since we started!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

No Quibble Policy

A bit messed up if you ask me.

Thank you.

You are correct.
    I scanned the item.
    It came up on the display with the wrong price.
    At that point I was charged.
    Payment is irrelevant.
    The policy says charged.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/charge
    charge  –verb (used with object)
    1.to impose or ask as a price or fee
    2.to impose on or ask of (someone) a price or fee
    3.to defer payment for (a purchase) until a bill is rendered by the creditor
    4.to hold liable for payment; enter a debit against.

• Advertisement

Thank you.

You are correct.
    I scanned the item.
    It came up on the display with the wrong price.
    At that point I was charged.
    Payment is irrelevant.
    The policy says charged.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/charge
    charge  –verb (used with object)
    1.to impose or ask as a price or fee
    2.to impose on or ask of (someone) a price or fee
    3.to defer payment for (a purchase) until a bill is rendered by the creditor
    4.to hold liable for payment; enter a debit against.

Might just have to print out that reference and keep in my wallet for the next time I feel up to a challenge!
    Also I might send a letter to Tony Keohane to see what his option is. :D

Advertisement