Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New PTSB bank card.

Options
  • 04-01-2011 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭

I dont have the facility to phone the bank from work so if someone can help I'd appreciate it. Just got a new bank card from Permanent TSB. It is a replacement for my current one. It says I have to make one cash withdrawl to activate it. However, there doesnt appear to be a laser symbol on it, this has been replaced by the VISA logo. Does anyone know if these new cards can still be used as Laser cards? I use Laser quite a bit.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I got one a few weeks ago.its a visa debit card,its replaced the laser facility,its very similar to laser but it will be accepted my more business.better card imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

yabadabado wrote: »
    I got one a few weeks ago.its a visa debit card,its replaced the laser facility,its very similar to laser but it will be accepted my more business.better card imo.

But I take it there wont be interest on every transaction?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I could be wrong but it is the same as a laser card but it is more widely accepted and probably safer to use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

it's pretty much the same as a laser card with the added benefit of being accepted everywhere that takes visa too. the money will come straight out of your current account like your laser so you won't pay interest like with a "normal" credit card, unless of course you're taking it from an overdraft or something.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

You can also set up a "verified by visa" function on it,less chance of skimming/cloning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

So is there any point having a separate Visa card if this new one performs the same function?

Thanks for the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Your new card is a debit card, which means the money comes straight out of your account.

A Visa credit card, is a different beast, where you are essentially loaned money. This has different advantages, and allows you to make purchases without actually having the cash in the bank.

Advertisement