Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can upc modem be used in any port?

• 04-01-2011 4:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

i have a couple of ntl / upc connection points in the house. once the modem is linked to their network can i just plug the modem into any of these or do i need a specific internet port?

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

As long as the port is active, it should work. Plug it in and see will tell you pretty quickly anyway. I don't know of any reason why it wouldn't work, as it's just a screw in f-connector.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

one of the wall connections in one room is a small box that has 2 connections - one labeled "fm" and the other "tv". the others have just one connection with ntl branding on the box. they all seem to be a screw type connection.

what determines if the port is active? would ntl (i keep calling them ntl .. bah!) have an option to activate / deactivate on a port basis on their systems or would it need to be done at my house?

It would be part of the internal wiring in the house. Sometimes extra TV ports may not be connected. There may be cable going from the back of them to the main connection point, and this may or may not be wired in there.

It's quite likely that they are connected though.

i haven't had ntl tv service in some time. is there any way to check if a port is enabled before the engineer comes or do i need to wait and see when i get the modem?

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

They cannot test the ports without connecting a device. Once they connect a modem, if it syncs, then the port is active.
    Apart from the socket on the wall, another filter is needed btw. They will supply that.

• Advertisement

this filter just screws in between the wall socket and the modem?

Correct.

thanks lads. hoping to be able to get a modem with ethernet connection from them when they come out so i can use my own equipment. i've got a bid more info now :)

Random wrote: »
    thanks lads. hoping to be able to get a modem with ethernet connection from them when they come out so i can use my own equipment. i've got a bid more info now :)

No worries. You'll be getting the Cisco EPC2425 modem. If you plan on using your own router, disable the wireless on the Cisco, and change it to bridging mode. its a cinch to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

roast wrote: »
    No worries. You'll be getting the Cisco EPC2425 modem. If you plan on using your own router, disable the wireless on the Cisco, and change it to bridging mode. its a cinch to do.

except that the telephone service doesn't work...beware!

• Advertisement

i'll only be using them for broadband.

Ask for the SA 2203 modem, it's better, though you might not get one. Apparently some people have been able to get them recently, so you may be in luck. You can use your own separate router with that, and set it up as you wish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

jor el wrote: »
    Ask for the SA 2203 modem, it's better

I second that

Advertisement