Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renovating House costs

Options
  • 04-01-2011 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi All

Im looking for anyone that could give me advice on renovation a house and the costs. This is the first time I undertook something like this and Im a bit naive on costs of doing something of this nature.

I will explain my situation and what I purpose to do with the house.
    Its a 2 bedroom house (Corporation House) with an extended kitchen.

The house belonged to my late father and is not very modern at the moment.
    The structor of the house and extension is sound but the ground level needs full modernsation. Most likely the Sitting room, kitchen and Bathroom will be gutted.

So what im planning to do is the following:
    1. Rewiring of Electrics
    2. Gas and Boiler maintainence (probably need a new boiler and rads)
    3. Underfloor Heating throughout the ground floor area (small hall , sitting room, bathroom and kitchen (in total about 30 sq metres approx)
    4. New Windows (total 4windows, front door and patio double doors)
    5. Complete New Kitchen (Tiling , lighting etc required)
    6. Complete New Bathroom (Tiling required etc)
    7. Laminated Wooden floors for sitting room and 2 bedrooms (average sized sitting room and bedrooms)
    8. Back garden is about 12 square metres and at present is very over grown, would like to put down paving for low maintainence
    9. Decorating : remove old wall paper and get sitting room and 2 bedrooms reskimmed to paint on.

Theres alot of work involved there but i dont mind that its the costs that im not sure about. In theory could all the work be done for 30k or is that way off the mark?

Could anyone give advice on underfloor heating on costs and if its actually worth it ?

Thanks in advance

Gary

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,127 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Moved to prices/costs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Laminated floors in the bedrooms will mean alot of noise heard dwownstairs,especially if you have little kids with big feet and who like to use them.;)

This is a question of "how long is a piece of string"?

Its also all down to what your taste in things are and what you want the house to look like.

I mean,you could easily spend 8-10k euro on the fully kitted out kitchen alone.

Tiling (labour only) is around 20-30 euro a square meter in Dublin at the moment.

Under floor heating isnt cheap and it depends on what spec you get.

Some are cheap and crap,others are expensive but good/reliable.

save money on labour by strippping out the bedrooms and most of the kitchen/sitting room yourself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 318 ✭✭brendankelly

How old is the house??. If it is an old stone house you will have to lime plaster it.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭bigmanhole

Depending on size of house but as a rough guide 5m wide x 7m long x 2 floors (typical coco hse) x 10.763 to convert to sq.ft x 100euro a sq.ft is about 40,000 euro.

UF heating prob not worth the cost/hardship - esp as a couple of rads heats those houses no problem if properly insulated - i should know i live in one

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

ya underfloor heating , i wouldnt reccomend unless your going to make sure house is very well insulated and good and airtight . prob not worth the hassle to be honest.

• Advertisement
Advertisement