Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

P-Tex or Wax

Options
  • 04-01-2011 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

Have a nice little gauge on my board and am wondering which would be the best to go with.. i thought it might be deep enough to need p-tex but have since been told wax will do the job just looking for more opinions..

If i do use P-tex i will ultimately be waxing to take care of the other scratches on the base.. damn you rock!! :p

http://i.imgur.com/P717Z.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Landa2

On a closer look, the core is slightly exposed on the near end of the gouge.. P-Tex it is..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭shagman

Try and find powdered Ptex it's hard to source but is great stuff. You sprinkle it on, line it up in the gouge (tony montana style) and place the supplied heatproof sheet over it, then iron it till it melts into a nice flat reapir. Toko make it and I had some made by T-line before too.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Raffeal

Try the great outdoors for P tex candles or cords, you can probably get them in snow and rock or 53 degrees but I've never looked for it there.

Candles and cords are easy to use, all you do is light them and drip the p-tex in.

Proper procedures can be found online by search for board or ski base repair however a basic run through for someone with little or no equipment:

1. Clean the base off to remove any old wax or anything else, alcohol swabs or vodka on cotton wool if it comes to it helps
    2. Make sure the scratch is clean, if there's splinters or bit's of base left hanging on (like pieces of loose tread) cut them off.
    3. Heat up your base a bit with a hair dryer (heat the top deck over the scratch rather then the base) or waxing iron (don't use a normal iron)
    4. Apply your p-tex to fill the scratch (Light one end of the P-Tex candle and let drops of P-Tex into the gouges).
    5. Use a scraper or a something like an atm card old ruler (a cheap scraper) to pack in the p-tex and smooth it down a bit, go easy don't pull it all out.
    6. Let the board and the P-Tex cool down to let it cure
    7. Use your scraper to scrape off the excess P-Tex and smoothen it out
    If you've any wax apply it after, and you'll be back on the slopes finding rocks in no time

The only problem with that method is that soot from the burning ptex mixes in to the molten ptex and leaves the base repair looking a bit manky.Only an aesthetic issue but having used both I much prefer the powder ptex. The professionals have special heated dispensing guns similar to a glue gun to apply the molten ptex and avoid the soot issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Raffeal

@ Shagman

I know what you're saying about the soot, the base of my boards can look a little messy. I've access to a P-tex gun at home but not when I'm away. powder ptex sounds like a good thing to have in your bag, where did you get it and how much does it cost?

• Advertisement

I got it online from the uk can't remember the name of the shop. It was Toko brand.

Advertisement