Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheap & cheerful Or cheap & nasty ? !!

• 04-01-2011 5:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭

for €100 I got a HE system from Aldi - i.e. a DVD player, 5 speakers and sub-woofer. Combined with the €380 Lidl projector I'm in business.

Seems to work quite well and I'm confident I'll get to route laptop sound and media player sound through it (got picture from both through projector before). The make is Tevion, havent the spec on me.

I have 2 better speakers, Warfdale, that I got before for playing old stereo in adjoining room (mainly radio, Off the Ball on Newstalk, or a match thats televised, the small Aldi speakers would probably do for that job).

I take it these Warfdale speakers should work to improve the sound, or is it the DVD player unit that dictates the power output and there's no point in adding better speakers???? Of the 5 speakers which are the best 2 to replace (FL, BL, FR, FL and Centre), or could you "unbalance" the whole thing by adding in a mish mash of speakers.

Re speaker wire, need to buy more to get the speakers to permanent locations, can you just tape ends together or are proper joiners recommended?

Thanks to all, and while I know most people here would be really into this and be appalled at the lack of quality, maybe its a message of hope for those that want to get going without spending a fortune.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭Betsy Og

ah lads, 98 views and not one comment!!

Start us off there with - Ya bleedin cheapskate, my granny's motorised wheelchair has a better system than that !!

:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

ill take you out of your misery ya cheapscate !! but to answer your question i would doubt that the amp in your 5.1 would drive the wharfedales very well but you could try replacing the front left and right start off at low volume build it up and see how it goes but at least get some decent speaker wire and join it with joiners

Advertisement