Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skill Swapping

• 04-01-2011 6:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Any of you guys do this?

What I mean is, two people meet up, say a painter and a gardener. The painter needs his garden sorted, the gardener needs his walls done... they...swap. You scratch my back, I scratch yours, kind of thing.

In today's economic cluster-fcuk, I think this is a good way to get things done!

Opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Been discussed on boards before, and it was decided not to be supported by boards.

Personally, I'd be wary of it, but like everything else you need a bit of faith to go along with it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Its a good idea in theory, but unless you know how skilful the person your swapping skills with is, it could end up a disaster.

Say you offer to do your side of work first and do a great job, then the other person turns out to be a cowboy, and wrecks your house, what do you do then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Not Just Mammy

Must admit I'd never thought of that, Michael. I guess I never expect other people to do that, and am constantly surprised at some of the things others put people through :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

This was how the world worked before money was invented - people swapped services or food.

This is also how the first Economics classes are taught to students.

For better or worse we have moved on from this basic principle of trade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭keith gallagher

I had been thinking of the same thing all day today. It'd be a cool idea if the other party were fully committed to the idea also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

I've done it in the past but only with other trades I've worked with on sites. Need a rewire no problem, I'll paint your house etc......

Saved a good few bob.....

Advertisement