Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Years Resolutions/Goals

• 04-01-2011 6:25pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So it's the new year and of course some of us may have made some resolutions for the year or have some goals we'd like to reach befor years end again.

I made a nice little list for myself that I just wrote down and will be interesting to look back on and compare the results. I decided we could have a little discussion and compare any goals we may have just for fun so we can dig up the thread in a years time to see if we met them.

Here's my little list so far:
    1. Run atleast 3 marathons; Kildare in May, Longford in August and Dublin in October.
    2. Complete numerous other distance runs before the end of the year. Cos I just love the t-shirts :P
    3. Lose at 1.5 stone or 21 pounds
    4. Quit smoking once and for all.
    5. Read more books and Draw more. (Starting my third book this year already and getting to grips with drawing anime and manga :D)
    6. Complete my degree once and for all.
    7. Forge ahead with transitioning and get the courage to tell my family.
    8. Complete a 1000 mile challange just for giggles.
    9. Get healthier, happy and get counselling for all those little things.
    10. Come back in 12 months and tick all the boxes hopefully :)
    So that's my little list for now and what I aim to achieve for the year. Anyone have any plans yourselves or just going to play it by ear?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Get to a stage where I'm getting As in everything.
    Read more books.
    Stop worrying so much about what my parents think of me.

I don't really do resolutions at new year, I do them at the beginning of the school year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Just like ItsThatManAgain, I want to run 3 marathons. Barcelona, Connemara and Dublin. I also want to lose about half a stone and learn to drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Azure_sky

I will be happy if I can run up the stairs without running out of breath.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭deirdre_dub

I don't believe in yearly lists. Today's list is long enough, thank you! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Re-lose the stone I lost and regained last year. Thankfully there was more lost on top of that...

That's about it. I had "sort out finances" but I've managed to get that one effectively knocked on the head due to some fortuitous overtime/bonus payments and an extremely cheap christmas. Does it count as a new years resolution if it happens the December beforehand? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Dr. Baltar

Join a Pride March for the First Time Ever
    Stop Smoking (When Not Drinking)
    See more plays & musicals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭hare05

Make more of an effort in college.

Get fit... again (Used to break school and county records easily, now I can barely do 1km before running out of steam)

Not so much diet, but cut down on all the sugary crap. Getting down from 14 stone to 12 or so wouldn't be too bad either.

Get more involved in things in general

See a psych about my trans problems (Stop looking for free time and just make some!)

Stop caving in when girls ask to do make up for me (they always take it the clown route)

Make time for reading (got 20 new books over the past 6 months I haven't finished yet)

Get over my irrational fear of razor shaving.

Find a shampoo that works.

Get a hair cut (My hair was this length over 6 months ago, asked for a trim to even it out, they shaved me down to less than an inch. Haven't touched it since.)

Parkour.

Get over my fears. God knows I laugh at dangers that would have most people shivering, how is coming out so hard in comparison?

And finally... Don't forget this list by tomorrow morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 flashhill

Go out more!
    Get a boyfriend!
    Don’t get embarrassed in front of friends or family when gay issues arise on TV!
    Don’t kiss guys I’ll regret kissing and chat up the ones I fancy!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Agree with reading more books as I'm starting my third this year, yes three since the 1st of January :P Rebecca De Havallands book, His name is Rebecca scared the **** out of though and has giving me tons to think about and talk about with a Counsellor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭40040D

Dr. Baltar wrote: »
    Join a Pride March for the First Time Ever
    Stop Smoking

+1 :D

Eh theres a few :eek:
      Start running (again)
      Lose at least 1 stone
      Pass the driver theory test
      Healthy eating
      Study more in College

Oh and
      Find Mr.Right

:p:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

begin to accept that i'm gay.
    get the courage to meet guy (hopefully kiss one).
    get a boyfriend.
    come out to people when i'm ready.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭hare05

Agree with reading more books as I'm starting my third this year, yes three since the 1st of January :P Rebecca De Havallands book, His name is Rebecca scared the **** out of though and has giving me tons to think about and talk about with a Counsellor.

Gotta read that some time. Book I read tend to be mostly Space Opera Sci-fi stuff (Iain M Banks, Richard Morgan, Larry Niven, Frank Herbert, etc)

*Shamelessly advertising my favorite books since the internet arrived*

Funny thing is the book that made me consider the possibility of transition was a children's comedy called the Toilet Of Doom!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Azure_sky

I'm seriously thinking of resuming my transition again this year. I was diagnosed as transsexual almost two years ago put it on hiatus due to various issues. I try to block it out but it never goes away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Rick_

Last year I learned how to drive so this year I'm going to try some other things:

1) Stop Smoking (I haven't had a ciggie since Monday)
    2) Exercise more
    3) Eat healthily
    4) Lose weight
    5) Try and be more outgoing
    6) Get myself a boyfriend, or at least some gay friends!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

For me I just want to start the year off right by clearing my stupid god damn credit cards that just wont go away for the past 5 years lol. Cant get a lone to clear them so I will do overtime everyweek and put that to clear each week, then in 6 months start saving for a mortgage to get an apartment in Dublin but thats more of a 2013 thing that a 2011 resolutions now.

Lol not as exciting as other peoples i guess :rolleyes:

Oh and keep off the smokes, I gave up in september, did great but broke at xmas time. Off again since monday too and never wanna touch them again!

Best of luck Ya'll!

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

hare05 wrote: »

Stop caving in when girls ask to do make up for me (they always take it the clown route)

Sure looking at most woman in Ireland the "Clown route" is the only way they know how to do make-up!

Had never seen so much make-up shovelled on with a Trowel before I moved to Ireland. Someone needs to explain to Irish woman that you need to blend the foundation down into the neck line not leave a moon shape round the jawline!

And to think I gave up wearing make-up about 15 years ago! Amazing how much better your skin looks with out it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Stop worrying about things
    40040D wrote: »
    Oh and
    • Find Mr.Right

:p:D
    I hear you! :D

Advertisement