Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

shoreline centre

Options
  • 04-01-2011 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭

just wondering if many of you guys are members here?. I'm thinking of joining so looking for peoples opinions on the place..

i guess like most people id be using in the evenings and weekends, just wondering how busy it gets in regards to the different machine being used etc. also would like to get back into swimming but i guess thats busy all the time as its open to the public.

so people, is it a yay or nay?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

It's nice enough I suppose but don't be expecting to go in for a quick workout before work if you want to shave too...

One sink and one mirror and those are in the bog... Very odd design for a changing room.

Otherwise plenty of machines and weights.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Merrilady

I like it, good classes, good machines etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭darsar

Gym is members only after 6pm too which is good if your a member.

I do be there all different hours so I suppose from what I find it's the usual. Busy after 5 or 6pm and busy on Saturday's but you'll always get on a machine.

The showers IMO should be hotter. They are only warm which bugs me as I never feel like I've had a lovely shower like I did in Jackie Skelley but I can live with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭micandre

went swimming there last night.

The changing area seems to be regularly hosed down and mopped but even after this the area is filthy. The tiles really need scrubbing to get the dirt off and the drains need unclogging in the mens communal shower areas.

The staff are friendly and the place did recently win a white flag award

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Two Boys

I find the jossling for the family changing rooms all very amusing, I have given up trying to secure one ever! despite having a 3 yr old and a baby (so I could really use teh changing table) and space to change them after their swims.
    It's like the jokes about German Tourists getting up before dawn to put a towel on the best sun lounger, People happily hold the room by leaving their stuff there while they use the pool, so no one can use it and it is there waiting for them an hour later when they need it, I guess there are inconsiderate people everywhere :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,934 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

On the down side the recently put in a ****ing creperie/pancake franchise in the lobby to lure the kids and parents to spend cashola on junkfood.Seems pretty ****ed up idea, but that's ireland- no idea too retarded/incoherent.

I think you'll find there are stupid ideas in every country, save the anti-Irish stuff for elsewhere.

IMO Shoreline is too expensive for a public facility - it appears it receives little or no subsidy from the council hence the totally wrong-headed idea to rent space to Maple Moose. For swimming its possibly the most expensive public pool in the country.

Compare the prices at Dublin City Council's recently opened Ballyfermot leisure centre with the prices at Shoreline...

The centres in Wicklow and Arklow though similarly priced to Shoreline, offer pool-only membership and off-peak prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,066 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

loyatemu wrote: »
    The centres in Wicklow and Arklow though similarly priced to Shoreline, offer pool-only membership and off-peak prices.
    Shoreline has off peak pool prices but the times are very limited

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 14,934 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    Shoreline has off peak pool prices but the times are very limited

yeah, very, very limited, currently 9am Mon-Thurs and 1pm Sun.

in Coral off-peak is Mon-Fri before 1630, you can also buy a family ticket for the pool (and Coral are still pretty expensive compared to pools in the Dublin councils)

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

its pretty irritating that its a community centre and no juts a gym per se...a lot of screaming brats wrecking the head.

Pretty sure it was planned to be a communty centre and pool first, and the gym only got added on later. You're only there to help pay for the community centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭darsar

it's a community centre for which the entrance faces away from the community...basic architectural flaw imho...and community for who? ex pat dubs and celtic tiger returnees? and the precious charlesland brigade...moan grumble etc...

it's almost a good set-up but that maple moose thing really grates...ffs the happy pear could have set up a smoothie franchise there at least...would be a much better idea.

edit: I'm Irish myself and I can ****ing say when something's a typically retarded irish idea...and **** it, so can anyone else if they're right.

Cop on to yourself. It's a thread about shoreline leisure, that's all. Nothing to get so upset about.

What's so precious about people living in Charlesland may I ask?

Walk by Maple Moose is you don't want anything. I've never had anything from there but I've seem alot of happy children sitting down eating from there.

I hope you've calmed down now from your mid morning whinge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

its pretty irritating that its a community centre and no juts a gym per se...a lot of screaming brats wrecking the head

Hmm any chance you're the person who complained about the non resident lady on the charlesland bus?!
    :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Pretty sure it was planned to be a communty centre and pool first, and the gym only got added on later. You're only there to help pay for the community centre.

And a lot of money was collected from the community in order that this facility would be built. I hope it continues to serve the whole community for a very very long time. It is a facility worth supporting.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Xaime

Crowded with lack of physical space and not enough facilities for everyone. Queues for the showers, changing rooms are to small and poor lighting (apart from the few familly ones) and with the usual lack of civic education from the users who think they can leave their belongings inside. Does it sound familiar my Irish friends?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭shaviebeby

Its a nice tidy gym. However in the evening it gets too busy with young lads hanging around the machines and setting up for the evening on them. Took in too many members it seems and its a pity Jackie Skellys closed to keep the competition healthy.

Advertisement