Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Routing Question

Options
  • 04-01-2011 7:08pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys, looking for some advice

Im basically in the process of building an Arcade cabinet. I have the side panels cut out, the front back etc and its all coming along fine.

The only thing that is going to cause me problems is T Molding.

If your not familiar with it, its basically a plastic trim that runs up the sides of the cabinet. In order to install it you have to route a slot up the side of the panels all the way around and then bang it in with a rubber hammer.

You can see it here. http://t-molding.com/store/home.php?cat=1

My problem is im not confident or skilled enough to do this. Ive never used a router before (dont even have one!) and dont fancy trying it out on something thats taken me so long to build in case i mess it up.

Would you reckon it would be possible to get a carpenter to come out and do this? and if so how much do you think it would cost?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭del88

I'm sure if you contacted your local joinery shop or carpenter they would do it for you...including setting up the router it wouldn't take more then half an hour....if even ..so i wouldn't pay more then 30 euro..

A little trick when hammering in the t-moulding is to heat it up first with a heat gun....just coil it up on a bench and keep moving the heat gun in a circular motion around the coil(taking care not to over heat it).

If it's the type that needs triming after, use the widest chisel you have (nice and sharpe) and trim it first with a piece of thin formica placed on the top and then again without......taking care to keep the chisel nice and flat as it can dig in and do damage.....there is a bit of a knack to it.

If your not to confident triming, ask the local joinery shop or carpenter.....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Thanks a million for the advice, 30 Euro is definitaly a price i would be willing to pay to get this done! Appreciate it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

why not use iron-on edging?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Not familiar with it to be honest, ill check it out. Thanks!

Advertisement